Chatham County Online BBS
October 21, 2017, 02:28:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Before you go out to eat check out the Local Restaurant Reviews

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pittsboro-Chapel Hill Fixed Route Transit Service  (Read 16785 times)
integrityticket
Chathamohican

Last Login:August 29, 2010, 03:13:54 PM
Date Registerd:March 18, 2006, 12:53:58 PM

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 08:04:56 AM »

11    Anonymous   I commute from Moncure and would greatly appreciate bus service from Pittsboro. [gotta love those anonymous signatures - yeah, i want it, but don't tell anyone it's me Smiley]
12    Carol Payne   
13    Kathleen Dulaney   TO: Mayor, Commissioner, and board members: With changes in the economy and workplace, implementing a transit service between Pittsboro and Chapel Hill, NC would have an enormous impact on the county, community and surrounding areas. This would be one way of keeping our tax dollars in the county while most working residents work outside the Chatham county. In order to stay abreast with population growth, better jobs, and a well known retirement county/state, how could this transit service not be considered. [can you be specific about the ENORMOUS IMPACT? How does this keep tax dollars in the county?]
14    Kathy Fujiwar   Health Sciences Library
15    Anonymous   
16    Anonymous   This is an excellent idea. It helps university staff who cannot afford to live close enough to campus to take advantage of the in-town free transit. At a minimum, regular transit service should be established between the Cole Park area park and ride and Chapel Hill. This proposal is even more forward thinking. [I guess you missed the park and ride lot right next to the Cole Park Plaza for university staff?]
17    Rebecca McGough   
18    tom vanderbeck   public transit, not more asphalt [the brain trust of the county commissioners speaks. Was this written on an index card?]
19    cathy holt   
20    Mary Beth Grealey   I think this is a fantastic opportunity to reduce congestion in Chapel Hill and provide transport for the many Chatham residents who work in Chapel Hill. [I guess the concept of car pooling is too complicated to grasp]
21    Cynthia Raxter   Cynthia Raxter 232 Bynum Church Road Pittsboro, NC 27312 I already use the Chapel Hill's Park and Ride lots - as do many of my neighbors. I would quickly and gladly leave my car at home if there was a bus stop in Bynum. [add a bus stop in bynum]
22    Gretchen Niver   We need this desperately! [why?]
23    Sheila Fleming   We need this transit service. We will USE this bus!!! Let's all support this initiative towards a more sustainable community! [How often]
24    krista millard   
25    Sarah Carr   
26    Elizabeth Adams   great idea
27    Charles Adams   
28    Amy Mauser   
29    Richard Edwards   
30    Malinda Tompkins   
31    ruth morgans   
32    george alston   
33    Diane Towle   Right now I utilize the north Chatham P&R lot which cuts about 8 miles off my daily communte to UNC. Being able to take a bus from downtown Pittsboro to Chapel Hill would be of tremendous benefit.
34    Terri McClernon   Let's allow more cars to be parked and leave the driving to a bus driver! [have you all figured out how many bus drivers you are going to need to run this bus line?]
35    Wyomie Milliken   
36    Margo Evrenidis   
37    Susan Swogger   Please extend the bus service! It would vastly open up the easy commuting area for working in Chapel Hill or Pittsboro. It would also reduce the air pollution and traffic on the 15/501 corridor, helping keep our beautiful counties healthy despite growth. [most urban transit systems emit at least as much CO2 per passenger mile (because of all the empty seats) as the average passenger car.]
38    Michele Tracy Berger   
39    Anonymous   My wife works at UNC Hospital and she would ride from Pittsboro to C. Hill. Matt Young
40    Anonymous   
41    Travis Cohn   YES. PLEASE. A fixed schedual is needed. I have tried Chatham Transit. It might be great for the special population it was designed for, but for me, it was tedious at best, and I quickly gave up. I see people walking the route out of desperation all the time. A bike rack on the bus would be awesome. I would use it a lot. THANK YOU for considering this. [How much is a lot? People actually walk all the way from Pittsboro to Chapel Hill all the time?]
42    Laura Wimbish0-Vanderbeck [You looked at Tom's index card, didn't you?]
43    Anonymous   
44    Keli Carlson   This is a fantastic idea. I'd use the bus at least twice a week!! [How about 5 times a week? Guess you really aren't that comitted to the environment now are u?]
45    Elizabeth Studstill   
46    diane keasler   
47    Anonymous    Definitely! It is a must. Thank you. [Definitely!]
48    Susan B.    
49    Ken Boggs    
50    michael e. burke    

The bottom line is the iPhone and modern medicine came from democracy and the free market, not a government agency.
integrityticket
Chathamohican

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 08:18:16 AM »

51    Lynne Wentworth   
52    Ann Hudak   
53    Camille Armantrout   Public Transportation is essential for our future.
54    Steven Rogat   The bus transportation between Pittsboro and Chapel Hill would be so important to Elders, young adults, and anyone who might need to rely on public transportation. This action is very overdue, and so needed.
55    Velma Grose   This is a great idea! We have lived in Chatham County now for 20 years and often have to head up the highway. My family benefits greatly from the Park 'n Ride service @ Chatham Crossing, and I can see that extending bus service further south would be good.
56    Tamera Mulanix   
57    Gina Candelori   
58    Julie Frye   
59    David Smith   
60    Ann and John Deupree   
61    Anonymous   Great idea! We will need more park & ride lots as many of us do not live right on 15-501. [and where exactly will we put those park and rides and how far off 15-501 will they be?]
62    Alicia Ravetto   
63    Elizabeth Reid   I ride the park and ride bus from the county line to UNC but would welcome a bus stop closer to my home in Pittsboro. I would use it daily.
64    Ann Deupree   I would like very much to have public transportation stop in Fearrington Village, so I could use it to get to Pittsboro and Chapel Hill [one stop in bynum, with another at fearrington]
65    Virginia Earl   Ditto to all the reasons stated in this petition. Common sense dictates the viability of this enterprise. [Common sense? Where's the business plan for this idea? how much are the buses? how much are the fuel costs? How much are the salaries? How much are the maintenance fees?]
66    Rita Marley-McKenzie   
67    Carolyn Coffay   
68    pam rademacher   
69    Catherine Deininger   I think a permanent bus route from Pittsboro to Chapel Hill is an excellent idea.
70    Tom Foster   Yes I support this petition and further request a stop at Fearrington Village.
71    mattie marrs   
72    Joy Hewett   
73    Joy Hewett   Please provide a bus from downtown Pittsboro, or from the Lowe's parking lot if permitted, to Cole Park Plaza, and to a designated stop in Chapel Hill where people could catch another busline. If it is offered several times a day, besides just 7 am, people could use it more regularly. If it only makes a few stops along 15-501 it will mean more use because of the faster, more efficient offering. Even if the ridership is low the first couple of years, it will pick up by word of mouth and convenience. If the county pays for roads, it should pay for a bus because it reduces our carbon footprint and saves gas going in the pockets of big oil companies that aren't in Chatham County! Even a start at the CCCC campus, where the library will go, could serve the senior center, the college, and our future library! [Realistically, how many people will be riding these buses during the day? Fewer stops? Do those include Bynum and Fearrington? As for the carbon footprint - most urban transit systems emit at least as much CO2 per passenger mile (because of all the empty seats) as the average passenger car.]
74    Joy Hewett   Please provide a bus from downtown Pittsboro, or from the Lowe's parking lot if permitted, to Cole Park Plaza, and to a designated stop in Chapel Hill where people could catch another busline. If it is offered several times a day, besides just 7 am, people could use it more regularly. If it only makes a few stops along 15-501 it will mean more use because of the faster, more efficient offering. Even if the ridership is low the first couple of years, it will pick up by word of mouth and convenience. If the county pays for roads, it should pay for a bus because it reduces our carbon footprint and saves gas going in the pockets of big oil companies that aren't in Chatham County! Even a start at the CCCC campus, where the library will go, could serve the senior center, the college, and our future library!
75    Monica Reckless   
76    Anonymous   I think a bus to anywhere would be a great improvement. With the way people here shun progress and the price of gas people need to be able to go where they can purchase what they need. [Ever heard of carpooling?]
77    michael and Sandy gapin   
78    Rachel Hoff   I live in pbo, currently take the cole park bus but a bus from pbo would be great- as long as folks use it!! We don't need more fuel waste in this country. [most urban transit systems emit at least as much CO2 per passenger mile (because of all the empty seats) as the average passenger car.]
79    Sue Ann Merris   
80    Anonymous   
81    Frank Dalzell   There should be multiple "Park and Ride" stops along the Route. Possibly spaced at 5 mile intervals. [More stops? This bus ride is getting longer and slower by the petition signer]
82    Bridget Perry   Public transportation is a fabulous resource for the public. [Why? How much of the public will really use it?]
83    Pam Kuder   at this time when the fuel costs are astronomical and we are in such a ecological downward spiral, I believe that a transportation system from Pittsboro to Chapel Hill will help our community in many ways. Please count my vote in. Pam Kuder [Can you be specific about the many ways?]
84    Anonymous   It is a natural extension of the "green" philosophy that Chapel Hill is so proud of. [I am glad we are concerned about the "green" philosophy of chapel Hill]
85    Anonymous   
86    Patricia Hurlman   this is a much needed venue of transportation and with stops located along the way (Lowes hardware, fearington, colepark southern village) there would be a great tion for gas reduction as well!!)
87    John Hurlman   great and needed!!
88    Susan Walkup   
89    Kim Tungate   
90    Emilee Hendrix   
91    Alston Brake   I think this service would be used by many people and would therefore make a contribution the protecting the environment's health. [How many is many people?]
92    Connie Allred   
93    Kay Thompson   
94    Anonymous   I have glaucoma and can no longer drive. It would be extremely useful to have bus service from Pittsboro to Chapel Hill with a stop at Fearrington Village. Many of us rely on the kindness of others to help us get what we need.
95    Page Vernon   
96    Vivian Green   
97    Ruth A. Leopold   
98    Kim Royal    
99    John McLaughlin    
100    Chris Bowman    

The bottom line is the iPhone and modern medicine came from democracy and the free market, not a government agency.
girlfrompbo
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »

it takes a lot of integrity and intelligence to anonymously belittle people on the internet.
VAHeel
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 08:27:13 AM »

indeed.  I've never seen so much hostility and spitefulness over public transportation.
integrityticket
Chathamohican

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 08:28:57 AM »

101    joseph and lois   
102    Christine Farnan   Great idea!
103    Meghan Gunther   I whole-heartedly agree with this petition and I would like to add that it will also be a great service to those trying to save money with the rising gas prices. This can only help the local economies! [It would actually be cheaper and you could save money right now if you carpooled with just one other person. You would cut your fuel cost in half!]
104    Jim Mellencamp   [plus Jack and Diane]
105    Kate Dunlap   
106    Gayle Grigson   Thought we should have put in a light rail down the center of 15-501 when it was widened to 4 lane. Whatever we can do for improving transportation services without adding lanes is a step forward. Better late than never.
107    Theresa Karnecki   Whether or not one owns a car, we all need this for our future.
108    Joan Phillips-Trimmer and Michael Trimmer   I live on Vickers. A flag stop on 15-501 at that point would be terrific. I imagine at least 100 houses in that immediate area could be affected (might use the service too). [Might doesn't pay the bills]
109    Joy Metelits   Yes I support this petition and further request a stop at Fearrington Village.
110    Lisa Dusenberry   I commute to Chapel Hill Monday thru Friday for work and would benefit greatly from this service.
111    Tu Dang   
112    Anonymous   
113    Anonymous   And a stop somewhere around Fearrington as well.
114    Frank E McKeever   
115    Venesia Terry   
116    Margaret Mullinix   
117    Myrna Merron   Great idea particularly as the population is growing.
118    Verna Mason   
119    Lyle Estill   Please get a bus on the road from Pittsboro to Chapel Hill. We are dying for it down here... [Lyle, did you move back to Pittsboro? You know the upcoming election is county wide? You don't have to move to Pittsboro to vote. BTW, if you are so hot for the idea, you have the bucks to start up the service. Let's see you do it.]
120    Bob Armantrout   
121    Leif Forer   I live in CH and work in PBO. A fixed bus route would be a huge benefit and asset to both communities. [Is there a rush of Chapel Hill people communting to work in Pittsboro?]
122    Ginna Earl   a bus going from Pittsboro to Chapel Hill would be an amazing asset to this community! there are soooo many commuters who would take advantage of it, it would be well worth it! [Can you be specific as to how many sooooo many are?]
123    David Thornton   
124    Tracy Kondracki   
125    ruth moose    

integrityticket
Chathamohican

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 08:29:38 AM »

indeed.  I've never seen so much hostility and spitefulness over public transportation.

That car pooling concept has you befuddled too, doesn't it?

integrityticket
Chathamohican

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 08:32:36 AM »

it takes a lot of integrity and intelligence to anonymously belittle people on the internet.

Especially when you anonymously belittle the anonymous people.

VAHeel
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 08:33:19 AM »

You're not winning any converts by attacking people.
girlfrompbo
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 08:37:20 AM »

Especially when you anonymously belittle the anonymous people.

just making an observation.
integrityticket
Chathamohican

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 08:23:19 AM »

You're not winning any converts by attacking people.

Thanks for adding something worthwhile to the conversation.

How about taking a shot at answering some of the questions instead.

girlfrompbo
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 08:25:30 AM »

If enough people sign the petition, thats a legitimate indication that people will use the bus line.  Most of your "questions" (which I would more accurately term as "pot shots") have to do with who will use the bus, and the answer is the people who sign the petition.
VAHeel
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 08:31:52 AM »

well, I can't tell you if Lyle Estill has moved back to pittsboro or not, but the purpose of the petition is to show how many people are willing to use the bus service, rather than commute, so I think you can count on at least that many riding it. 

I, too, would like to see a business plan for this service.  I don't know if one exists, this may be the first step into convincing the county there is enough interest to make one.

As for the rush of people working in Chapel Hill, Pittsboro IS a bedroom community, and people DO commute to other counties.  I don't know about this specific service, but I do think that if we can start planning some public transportation that coordinates with things like Triangle Area Transit that already exist, that would be a benefit to all members of our community.

If you want people to take your questions seriously, I suggest you stop being such a jerk.  Nothing about your posts regarding this issue show any kind of real interest, just hostility and spitefulness.
integrityticket
Chathamohican

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 08:39:30 AM »

Nothing about your posts regarding this issue show any kind of real interest, just hostility and spitefulness.

It's funny, because I feel the same way about some of your stuff as well.

BTW, your assumption that you can count on at least that many riding is wrong. I know several of the people who signed that petition and based on where they live it would be out of their way to drive to Pittsboro (Bynum or Fearrington) to pick up the bus to Chapel Hill.

that would be a benefit to all members of our community.
And how exactly is it a benefit to all members of our community? (and please don't use the excuse that the question is hostile and spiteful in order not to answer the question.)

girlfrompbo
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 08:45:40 AM »

IF a significant number of people will take the bus rather than drive then the entire community benefits through a reduction in emissions, traffic and gas use. It also provides a means of transportation to people who can't drive, don't have cars or don't have reliable cars. 

I completely agree with you that the bus line should be considered carefully and should ONLY be put into place if there are enough people to make the trade off worthwhile, but if that is the case the benefits to the community are obvious.
VAHeel
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 10:27:40 AM »

It's fine that you feel the same way about some of my posts, I wish you would say so at the time.

I don't assume the numbers will be the same, but I do think that the point of the petition is to determine how many people are interested.

Nothing about your posts regarding this issue show any kind of real interest, just hostility and spitefulness.

It's funny, because I feel the same way about some of your stuff as well.

BTW, your assumption that you can count on at least that many riding is wrong. I know several of the people who signed that petition and based on where they live it would be out of their way to drive to Pittsboro (Bynum or Fearrington) to pick up the bus to Chapel Hill.

that would be a benefit to all members of our community.
And how exactly is it a benefit to all members of our community? (and please don't use the excuse that the question is hostile and spiteful in order not to answer the question.)
Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: