Chatham County Online BBS
August 24, 2017, 01:47:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hummingbirds  (Read 3096 times)
kimmimom
Chathamohican

Last Login:February 14, 2017, 02:39:41 PM
Date Registerd:March 10, 2006, 03:58:16 PM

« on: October 08, 2009, 07:58:25 AM »

Anyone still have any?  Our males left a while ago and still seeing a female once a day or so.  This morning we had 1 baby(young) on our feeder, shaking, all puffed up and she sat there for at least 20 minutes.  She was not eating, just sitting.  We have the feeded that sticks to the window and I literally was able to put my house to the glass right in front of her and she stayed put.  Finally I tried to go "catch" him to put him in our butterfly house to bring him in to warm up, but she flew away then.  Just wondering if anyone else still has hummies!  Huh
belle
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 11:05:37 AM »

I had males and females up to Oct. 1. none this week. they hit all the flowers, and went on. I hope your last baby is ok, it is really late.
natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 06:51:34 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »

Took my feeder down last week since cooler temps headed in our way. Didn't want to encourage them to stay too long before packing their bags south. Some of my favorite creatures for sure! Already getting ready for their return next year. Bought a new, never used feeder at the Thrift for $1.50...was $15 in it's previous life from the "real" store laugh
pittsboro_toys
Chathamite

Last Login:October 13, 2011, 10:02:45 AM
Date Registerd:May 15, 2008, 03:47:52 PM

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:30:14 PM »

Our hummies went AWOL a couple of weeks ago. Miss them!

Pittsboro Toys is at 89C Hillsboro St., Upstairs.
kimmimom
Chathamohican

Last Login:February 14, 2017, 02:39:41 PM
Date Registerd:March 10, 2006, 03:58:16 PM

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 06:26:23 PM »

Our feeders were still up, but nothing in them.  I did not see her after this morning, so hopefully she is on her way south!
woodland
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 06:37:51 PM »

Mine have all left, but it is definitely fine to leave your feeder up still.
Hummingbirds leave whether a feeder is up or not, it's more of a day length, internal clock thing that determines when they leave.  Providing a feeder lets them fatten up for the long flight ahead.  They need a good layer of fat. 
Also, by leaving a feeder up after you see your last hummingbird, it might get used by another hummingbird migrating through.

In the southeast, western hummingbird species occasionally show up in the fall/winter. Leaving a feeder up and having some late blooming plants might attract them if they are around.  There have been Rufous, Black-chinned, Calliope, and a number of others documented in NC during the winter months!

Kimmimom, the bird you saw wouldn't be a baby this late in the season.  It might have been a bird in a state of "torpor".  Feathers will fluff up, etc.  Sick birds will also be fluffed up, but sounds like your hummer was conserving energy, and I bet it was glad that it had your feeder!
=================================================================
From the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center:
Asleep on the Job: Hummingbirds are one of the few groups of birds that are known to go into torpor. Torpor is a very deep sleep-like state in which metabolic functions are slowed to a minimum and a very low body temperature is maintained. If torpor lasted for long periods, we would call it hibernation, but hummingbirds can go into torpor any night of the year when temperature and food conditions demand it.

Hummingbirds are the masters of torpor because the have to be. Their feathers offer poor insulation and they have incredibly high metabolic demands. Torpor allows them to check-out physiologically when they cant maintain their normal 105 body temperature.
===============================================================
I did have my first Yellow-bellied Sapsucker of the fall show up this afternoon! 

belle
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »

oh, me, too. they flick about. we have a lot of dead wood, and 5 acres of live woods, in an area denuded of forest.
I did have my first Yellow-bellied Sapsucker of the fall show up this afternoon! 
natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 06:51:34 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »

I took my hummer feeders down, mainly due to only yellow jacket traffic! Did have one little hummer guy fly in with the what the heck Huh But it quickly went to check out some of the plantings that still offered some sustenance for it.
belle
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »

I took my hummer feeders down, mainly due to only yellow jacket traffic! Did have one little hummer guy fly in with the what the heck Huh But it quickly went to check out some of the plantings that still offered some sustenance for it.

yes, the last week of September we had rain, and plenty of plants that were in bloom. I left it at that. I wish them well on their trip. wish I were going with them.
ginger
Chathamite

Last Login:August 17, 2017, 07:06:08 AM
Date Registerd:February 10, 2006, 06:11:06 AM

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 05:22:17 AM »

My last sighting was Thursday, 10/8.  I will leave my feeder up as long as I can.  I live in Northwest Chatham.   
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: