Chatham County Online BBS
October 22, 2017, 11:38:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: CJ - Body of missing Chatham teen Boone Cummins found in Sugar Lake  (Read 716 times)
Gene Galin
Administrator
Chathamohican

Last Login:September 07, 2017, 08:29:37 AM
Date Registerd:February 06, 2006, 01:00:00 AM

« on: July 26, 2017, 04:56:36 PM »

Body of missing Chatham teen Boone Cummins found in Sugar Lake
http://chathamjournal.com/2017/07/25/body-boone-cummins-found-sugar-lake/

Pittsboro, NC – The body of a teen who was reported missing near Sugar Lake in Pittsboro since last Wednesday has been found. The Chatham County Sheriff’s Office reported that Gabriel “Boone” Cummins was found dead in Sugar Lake early Tuesday morning shortly after 1 a.m. Authorities said the unofficial cause of death appears to be drowning.

Authorities had suspended their search of the lake around 2 p.m.on Friday afternoon because of plummeting water temperatures and zero visibility at 40 feet below the water’s surface. The lake floor is littered with old machinery and other hazardous debris that pose safety concerns for divers.

Authorities resumed their search on Monday after the Sherills Ford Fire Department in Catawba County offered to use its remote operated vehicle. These remote controlled devices are capable of performing searches that are too dangerous for human rescuers. A search and rescue team used the robotic vehicle to recover the body of a missing 18-year-old from the Chatham County lake.

Boone’s body was transported to the state medical examiner’s office to determine an official cause of death.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

Last Login:September 20, 2017, 10:10:33 PM
Date Registerd:January 16, 2017, 12:07:59 PM

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »

Is it really called Sugar Lake or is it a dangerous abandoned gravel pit/quarry off Sugar Lake Rd. or both?  Is doing what we are doing working out very well?   We force, by law, people to wear seat belts, motorcycle helmets and even have enforcement of children under 16 must wear a helmet while riding a bicycle.    Is there nothing else we can do, as a community,  to keep people from trespassing on this private property?

I know some would prefer this place be on some sort of news black out list to help stop the trespassing.   I am not sure.  Maybe the opposite should be considered.   A news blitz with lots and lots of information.  TV Interviews and local newspaper articles containing information that just might help.   Interviews with local members of law enforcement,  neighbors, the property owners, details about the number of deaths, information about stepping up enforcing trespassing and pressing charges,  etc. etc.     I know - we don't have to and should not force anyone to do anything, but, damn how many will continue to break the law, go there, and how many of them will die?  

Some out there smarter than me probably have better ideas.  I,  for one, would like to hear them.  

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: