Chatham County Online BBS
December 18, 2017, 05:40:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The light may be coming on  (Read 652 times)
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 12, 2017, 09:38:12 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« on: June 21, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »

Tuesday on Sean Hannity’s nationally syndicated radio show, author and University of the Arts professor of humanities and media studies Camille Paglia railed against the current state of journalism in America.

Paglia called what she said the Democratic Party had done to journalism “absolutely grotesque” and warned it would take decades to recover.

“It’s obscene,” she said. “It’s outrageous, OK? It shows that the Democrats are nothing now but words and fantasy and hallucination and Hollywood. There’s no journalism left. What’s happened to The New York Times? What’s happened to the major networks? It’s an outrage.”

“I’m a professor of media studies, in addition to a professor of humanities, OK?” she continued. “And I think it’s absolutely grotesque the way my party has destroyed journalism. Right now, it is going to take decades to recover from this atrocity that’s going on where the news media have turned themselves over to the most childish fraternity, kind of buffoonish behavior.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/06/21/camille-paglia-blames-dems-for-destroying-journalism-it-is-going-to-take-decades-to-recover/

But it is true...and it is hilarious in a gallows humor kind of way...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:36:27 PM by John Florida » Logged

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
wolfpat
Chathameister

Last Login:December 15, 2017, 05:01:53 PM
Date Registerd:October 12, 2008, 11:13:39 AM

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:05:39 AM »

I'm skeptical about any supposed change of attitude from the left leaning people in the public eye.Their misreporting of news is not a new thing.

When I was young, I believed what John Chancellor told me every night. I watched documentaries that told of impoverishing people, environmental disasters, and impending war, and how the correct political candidates and government agencies would prevent all this.

Then I read the Communist Manifesto, and I was taken aback by the similarities between Marx and Carter. I read Ayn Rand, and I was shocked to see the exact words used by her antagonists in my newspapers. I read Milton Friedman, and was angered to see the government operating methods in diametrical opposition to the principles for which he won the Nobel Prize in Economics.

I took a course in High School in Mass Media, where we learned about emotional wordplay and how to examine the actual content of any message.

And, on rare occasions, I or someone I knew well was present at a news event.

And I was enraged to see the obvious distortions and purposeful manipulation of people's thought patterns in what was promoted as an accurate accounting of events. I was incredulous that it was presented as the only way to think.

Then alternative media happened. I heard what I had been thinking on the radio. I saw news analysis shows that had people presenting what I knew to be true alongside of the folks who had previously angered me. I found many websites with a philosophical bent similar to my own.

I don't think they're suddenly realizing they haven't been reporting the truth. A few of them have figured out that we're on to their lies. But the large majority of the left will never change anything, because they don't believe the general right-leaning public is intelligent enough to have an opinion that didn't come from someone else. They think they need to get better control over the dissemination of information so we'll believe them again.
John Florida
Chathamohican

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 03:35:49 PM »

I agree with every word you just wrote. What amazes me is that this post had 84 people looking at it and you are the only response.

FILIPPO MAZZEI
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 16, 2017, 11:57:40 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 09:27:19 PM

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:28:35 PM »

I agree with every word you just wrote. What amazes me is that this post had 84 people looking at it and you are the only response.

Sorry JF - life got in the way again.

My experience closely mirrors Wolfpat's. Maybe it's my Scot ancestry but I was raised to be skeptical and questioning (and generally a PITA). The idealism of my youth was quickly tempered by the need to pragmatically respond to the harsher aspects of reality. No silver spoon - I had to scramble if I wanted to succeed.

While I would love it to be a life-altering epiphany that Camile is referring to, my better sense is that it is more akin to "junkie's remorse" where she experienced a brief moment of self-clarity and didn't like what she saw.

Sadly, it will pass and she will go back to the lie that is more comfortable.

At least she had that moment...

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
John Florida
Chathamohican

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »

Don't be sorry it just amazes me as to how many people are here just lurking and not taking part in it.

FILIPPO MAZZEI
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 16, 2017, 03:41:08 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 10:04:02 PM »

Sorry JF - life got in the way again.

My experience closely mirrors Wolfpat's. Maybe it's my Scot ancestry but I was raised to be skeptical and questioning (and generally a PITA). The idealism of my youth was quickly tempered by the need to pragmatically respond to the harsher aspects of reality. No silver spoon - I had to scramble if I wanted to succeed.

While I would love it to be a life-altering epiphany that Camile is referring to, my better sense is that it is more akin to "junkie's remorse" where she experienced a brief moment of self-clarity and didn't like what she saw.

Sadly, it will pass and she will go back to the lie that is more comfortable.

At least she had that moment...

She's had her moments.  Camille is one of the clearer thinking Leftists.

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: