Chatham County Online BBS
November 17, 2017, 11:43:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Age, Sexual Maturity, Legal maturity, Emotional Maturity - laws,emotions, facts?  (Read 1028 times)
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

Last Login:September 20, 2017, 10:10:33 PM
Date Registerd:January 16, 2017, 12:07:59 PM

« on: April 25, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »

The story about the  young girl and the much older man from Tennessee has been front and center in our National News for several weeks.   Is it really so cut and dried that he is a pervert and sex offender?   Is it even cut and dried that he is a kidnapper?   I am the father of a young woman, past 15 now.   I would not have been happy (understatement of the day) if this had happend in her life.  Within my family, grandparents, on one side,  married when she was 15 and he was 31.  No one has ever labeled him anything other than Grandpa, Dad, husband, uncle, good guy.    

If the interwebs is accurate, the age of consent varies in the United States by state.  Looks like it is 18 in Tennessee and 16 in North Carolina.  So it is OK to have consensual relations with a 16 year old in Asheville and a crime for the same thing in Knoxville?    Yes, I know this girl is 15, but the point is the scale seems to have a rubber ruler.   When you factor in the fact many coutries have limits on this subject lower than 16, I am thinking there might be something a little more to consider before branding someone as a pedophile.  

https://www.ageofconsent.net/states

https://www.ageofconsent.net/world

The term pedophile is commonly used by the public to describe all child sexual abuse offenders. This seems to be a problem, because many labeled child molesters do not have a strong sexual interest in prepubescent children, and are consequently not pedophiles.     Three "philes" to consider:

Pedophilia is  for pre pubescent children.
Hebephilia is for minors in early pubescence.
Ephebophilia is for post pubescent mid to late teens.

When you factor in the whole "he was in a positon of trust and authority over her", it really gets messy.   It all seems so arbitrary and inconsistent to me.  I am not fond of inconsistency.  Maybe I'm wrong.    What do y'all think?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:14:43 AM by Ice Pilot2 » Logged
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 10:45:49 AM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 08:29:04 PM

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »

Back in the day in NC an 18 year old could marry a 14 year old with parental consent but had to marry in South Carolina. If married in SC would the 18 year old now be a pedophile in NC?

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government. -- Declaration of Independence
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »

Back in the day in NC an 18 year old could marry a 14 year old with parental consent but had to marry in South Carolina. If married in SC would the 18 year old now be a pedophile in NC?

Looks like with "parental consent"  there are still provisions for som as young as 14 here in N.C.   Huh??

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByChapter/Chapter_51.pdf
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »

Looks like with "parental consent"  there are still provisions for som as young as 14 here in N.C.   Huh??

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByChapter/Chapter_51.pdf

Other states may not have that provision so an 18 year old with a 14 year old spouse would be pedophilia.

BTW I know a couple who married at those ages and is still together 50+ years later.

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government. -- Declaration of Independence
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:October 18, 2017, 02:18:36 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:41:46 AM »

This thread gets the Jerry Lee Lewis seal of approval.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »

Other states may not have that provision so an 18 year old with a 14 year old spouse would be pedophilia.

BTW I know a couple who married at those ages and is still together 50+ years later.

It all makes me wonder about the different situations that could be challenged.  Or, as in this most recent well publicized case, tried and convicted in the media.  Or, should I say; "by the media"
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 07:12:21 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »

The story about the  young girl and the much older man from Tennessee has been front and center in our National News for several weeks.   Is it really so cut and dried that he is a pervert and sex offender?   Is it even cut and dried that he is a kidnapper?   I am the father of a young woman, past 15 now.   I would not have been happy (understatement of the day) if this had happend in her life.  Within my family, grandparents, on one side,  married when she was 15 and he was 31.  No one has ever labeled him anything other than Grandpa, Dad, husband, uncle, good guy.    

If the interwebs is accurate, the age of consent varies in the United States by state.  Looks like it is 18 in Tennessee and 16 in North Carolina.  So it is OK to have consensual relations with a 16 year old in Asheville and a crime for the same thing in Knoxville?    Yes, I know this girl is 15, but the point is the scale seems to have a rubber ruler.   When you factor in the fact many coutries have limits on this subject lower than 16, I am thinking there might be something a little more to consider before branding someone as a pedophile.  

https://www.ageofconsent.net/states

https://www.ageofconsent.net/world

The term pedophile is commonly used by the public to describe all child sexual abuse offenders. This seems to be a problem, because many labeled child molesters do not have a strong sexual interest in prepubescent children, and are consequently not pedophiles.     Three "philes" to consider:

Pedophilia is  for pre pubescent children.
Hebephilia is for minors in early pubescence.
Ephebophilia is for post pubescent mid to late teens.

When you factor in the whole "he was in a positon of trust and authority over her", it really gets messy.   It all seems so arbitrary and inconsistent to me.  I am not fond of inconsistency.  Maybe I'm wrong.    What do y'all think?

I think that you cam polish a turd and even put sprinkles on but in the end it still a turd.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »

I think that you cam polish a turd and even put sprinkles on but in the end it still a turd.

Yeah, pig and lipstick too my friend.  

If the reference is to the man in this Tennesse case, I am on your side regarding his "turdness".  It looks to me like she comes from a prettty turdy home situation too.   Sad for her on mulitple fronts.  

Like I tried to communicate earlier, it just got me to thinking about how the age of "it's ok"   VS.  "It's sick and criminal"  varies even within our own country.   We can agree on a legal drinking age (at least agree by passing laws, maybe not agree with those laws individually) , but, we do not have consistent laws that agree on this?  
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:53:42 PM by Ice Pilot2 » Logged
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 02:43:07 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »

Does it say anywhere in the Constitution that the Feds have the authority to decree THE AGE for the separate States?  Then, no; unless the States themselves get together and form a compact -- which I don't like either for various reasons, but it is within their powers to do so -- then, as far as the Feds go, it's nunya.

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »

Does it say anywhere in the Constitution that the Feds have the authority to decree THE AGE for the separate States?  Then, no; unless the States themselves get together and form a compact -- which I don't like either for various reasons, but it is within their powers to do so -- then, as far as the Feds go, it's nunya.

Of course it doesn't.  But, it also does not say they have the authority to degree a legal minimum drinking age either does it?  Perhaps what we have now is not even a degree, but, more like blackmail, similar I think to the old National 55 mph speed limiits?   Found this to be an interesting read;   http://www.youthrights.org/research/library/legislative-analysis-of-the-national-minimum-drinking-age-act/     Sorry to have confused the discussion with the whole drinking thing.   

The main thought in my previous post, regarding the legal age of consent and public acceptance,or not, is the first sentence. ;  ", it just got me to thinking about how the age of "it's ok"   VS.  "It's sick and criminal"  varies even within our own country." 
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 02:43:07 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 07:57:07 AM »

Of course it doesn't.  But, it also does not say they have the authority to degree a legal minimum drinking age either does it?  Perhaps what we have now is not even a degree, but, more like blackmail, similar I think to the old National 55 mph speed limiits?   Found this to be an interesting read;   http://www.youthrights.org/research/library/legislative-analysis-of-the-national-minimum-drinking-age-act/     Sorry to have confused the discussion with the whole drinking thing.   

The main thought in my previous post, regarding the legal age of consent and public acceptance,or not, is the first sentence. ;  ", it just got me to thinking about how the age of "it's ok"   VS.  "It's sick and criminal"  varies even within our own country." 

Newp, but my Mama used to tell us two wrongs don't make a right, either.   Grin

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 07:12:21 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 08:01:50 AM »

Yeah, pig and lipstick too my friend.  

If the reference is to the man in this Tennesse case, I am on your side regarding his "turdness".  It looks to me like she comes from a prettty turdy home situation too.   Sad for her on mulitple fronts.  

Like I tried to communicate earlier, it just got me to thinking about how the age of "it's ok"   VS.  "It's sick and criminal"  varies even within our own country.   We can agree on a legal drinking age (at least agree by passing laws, maybe not agree with those laws individually) , but, we do not have consistent laws that agree on this?  

The sad news is that states are run by "people" and all have opinions on what they think it should be.  Reality is that a 15/16 year old just isn't equipped to decide what the smartest thing to do is concerning a world of subjects.

The teacher/teachers are supposed to be the grown ups in the room and able to tell what right and wrong is. I'm by no means making this a religious thing but a judgement thing.  If a grown up can't tell that sex with a child is wrong or that taking a child and just keeping him/her needs some serious jail time or just give him/her to the parents and let them deal with it.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 08:02:39 AM »

Newp, but my Mama used to tell us two wrongs don't make a right, either.   Grin

You are wise to listen to your Mama!   They be right more times than not.
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 08:19:04 AM »

The sad news is that states are run by "people" and all have opinions on what they think it should be.  Reality is that a 15/16 year old just isn't equipped to decide what the smartest thing to do is concerning a world of subjects.

Even sadder is that is a true statement for the entire planet.   It seems to me like the reality is that the lower age of legal consent, the more a young female is, or can be,  taken advantage of by older males.  The reverse does happen, but, it is not close to a 50/50 split.  
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:21:34 AM by Ice Pilot2 » Logged
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »

Chatham is not an Oasis from the predatory teachers and this trend nationwide seems to be increasing. School systems need to initiate one on one guidelines for teacher/student interaction and immediately involve law enforcement when the situation is confirmed.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: