Chatham County Online BBS
August 21, 2017, 08:53:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Find a local business! Visit the Chatham Business Directory

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A Violent Attack on Free Speech at Middlebury  (Read 1269 times)
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 08:07:01 AM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 03:52:41 PM

« on: March 06, 2017, 04:34:21 PM »

Liberals must defend the right of conservative students to invite speakers of their choice, even if they find their views abhorrent.

My fellow liberals, please watch the following video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6EASuhefeI

It suggests that something has gone badly wrong on the campus left. The events leading up to the video are as follows. One of the student groups at Middlebury College is called The American Enterprise Club. According to its website, the Club aims “to promote … free enterprise, a limited federal government, a strong national defense.” In other words, it’s a group for political conservatives.

This year, the AEI Club invited Dr. Charles Murray to speak. That’s crucial to understanding what followed. When leftists protest right-wing speakers on campus, they often deny that they are infringing upon free speech.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/middlebury-free-speech-violence/518667/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:40:42 PM by NC YIPPIE » Logged
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:August 19, 2017, 11:44:29 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »

Never heard of Dr. Murray, but he is one of so many that have been shouted down.  This has been going on for years at universities and has only gotten worse in the past couple years.  Liberals value diversity of everything...except diversity of thought.

Why would students not behave this way?  Their liberal role models like Obama have worked to silence dissent.  Whether it was wiretapping journalists or using the IRS to intimidate right of center organizations, regressive elected officials have made it clear that they won't tolerate opposing views and will do whatever is necessary to intimidate others into silence.

Debate is dead.  There's no talking to liberals and trying to explain your point of view.  The constant stream of false accusations (racism, sexism, etc) are meant to silence and shame opponents.  There's no longer an attempt to understand where people are coming from. 

So what we get instead is:

Skeptical about the climate change alarmists predictions?  You should be put in jail!  (Bill Nye)
Voted for Trump?  You're a racist.
Feel we need more border security?  You're a racist.
Want to own a semi-automatic firearm?  You're mentally deranged and inherently violent.

And the list goes on and on.  This is the Brave New World brought about by emboldened regressives.  I find it amazing that liberals lined up to defend Obama's manipulation of the media and now are losing their collective minds over Trump.

Stifling free speech is not the path that any elected official should take.  What Obama did doesn't excuse what Trump is doing.  While I understand Trump's frustration with the media, barring them from press conferences is the wrong move.  Allowing bloggers and others who are usually not allowed to participate in those briefings is a good thing. But the key is to expand the news networks.  Print media is dying anyway.  Some of the biggest stories have been broken by tabloids and bloggers.  People are getting wise to the slant of the main stream.  They can see that the polls were manufactured that showed Hillary so many points ahead.  Have some faith in people to be able to determine the difference.

While the Constitution applies to government and not to individuals, we should all have enough respect for one another to hear each other out.

Yipster, it appears that your heart is in the right place.  But I wonder if you're willing to take this message to UNC Chapel Hill the next time a controversial person speaks instead of just posting it on the internet.

I suspect your reasons for avoiding that situation are the same as mine.  I don't particularly want to be beaten senseless because I happen to hold the "wrong" point of view. 

But I told you before that if the social justice warriors got their way it wouldn't be pretty.  The SJW stuff that you yourself have pushed on this board is what causes this type of violent intolerance.  Take a moment and see if you can connect the dots on your own.  Or don't.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 06:48:58 AM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:32:05 PM »

While I understand Trump's frustration with the media, barring them from press conferences is the wrong move.

Newp, gotta disagree here.  It's not a permanent ban, but certain of the media need to be put in their places.  Think of, ohhh, Mika Brezwhatever on MSNBC averring that telling us what to think is their job.  Right?  Certain of the media need to be taught not to lie and that it isn't their job to change the world; it's to report the facts, not the Fake News.

Look here:  the Praetorian Guard media put out stories (NY Times/WashPo) weeks ago about the FISA Court ordered taps on Trump et al re: Russia and they've hung out there for all this time.  Yesterday (Sunday), James Clapper, former direct of National Intel., interviewed by Chuck Todd, denies there was wiretapping of Trump and he said he would know.  So, who's lying here?  Can't depend on the Praetorian Guard, so how do we know?

As for Charles Murray, he co-authored "The Bell Curve", whereby he co-wrote of things the Left doesn't want talked about, thought about, or known about.

https://infogalactic.com/info/Charles_Murray_(political_scientist)

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:01:59 AM »

There's no such thing as the media being "put in their place" by the government.  Doing so is a violation of the 1st Amendment.  

It isn't up to the government to hold the media accountable.  That's up to us: the consumer.  We're the ones that can decide whether or not to partake of that media.  Whether the leftist media realizes it or not, they were defeated in November.

The more they struggle and deign to claim they know what is best for us, the more they reveal themselves.  The media and the government have failed us.  But they have done so because we've allowed them to.

Good old capitalism, not government edict, will ultimately vanquish those who would lie to us.  The founders knew that.  They also knew that a nation unable to grasp this concept would hardly be worth saving.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

Last Login:Today at 08:30:32 AM
Date Registerd:January 16, 2017, 12:07:59 PM

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:15:56 AM »

Yesterday (Sunday), James Clapper, former direct of National Intel., interviewed by Chuck Todd, denies there was wiretapping of Trump and he said he would know.

Clapper also went to great lengths to deny there was any evidence of The Trump Team having illegal or inappropriate meetings with Russian officials.

Guess which one of the two denials was played over and over and over while grilling various members of the Trump staff on Sunday evening and Monday?   Yep, you got it right.  
1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »

There's no such thing as the media being "put in their place" by the government.  Doing so is a violation of the 1st Amendment.

Not so in the case of Trump denying them access to his pressers temporarily, which is what I pointed at.  There is no guaranteed access to the President in the 1st Amendment any and every time they want it.

It isn't up to the government to hold the media accountable.  That's up to us: the consumer.  We're the ones that can decide whether or not to partake of that media.  Whether the leftist media realizes it or not, they were defeated in November.

The more they struggle and deign to claim they know what is best for us, the more they reveal themselves.  The media and the government have failed us.  But they have done so because we've allowed them to.

I believe this is true and I also believe their game-play is to double-down now because they don't realize it, and the more ignorant -- or stubborn -- among us are going along with their lies.

Good old capitalism, not government edict, will ultimately vanquish those who would lie to us.  The founders knew that.  They also knew that a nation unable to grasp this concept would hardly be worth saving.

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:August 18, 2017, 08:38:04 AM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »

Not so in the case of Trump denying them access to his pressers temporarily, which is what I pointed at.  There is no guaranteed access to the President in the 1st Amendment any and every time they want it.

I believe this is true and I also believe their game-play is to double-down now because they don't realize it, and the more ignorant -- or stubborn -- among us are going along with their lies.

I would think that if POTUS blocked all of them from attending that it would be a 1st amendment problem but the administration didn't do that only a few were left out.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
wolfpat
Chathameister

Last Login:Today at 02:39:19 AM
Date Registerd:October 12, 2008, 11:13:39 AM

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »

He was doing them a favor by blocking them from the press conference. There was no need for them to attend since they were just going to make stuff up anyway.
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 08:07:01 AM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 03:52:41 PM

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »

You're lying about the NYT printing anything about anyone ordering a wiretap of Trump or his posse of traitors. All the Times article said is that they tapped the Russians and by proxy whomever they spoke to - Cheeto was never the target. That's why you didn't quote the NYT and provided only your dubious paraphrase of wait for it...fake news.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:51:28 PM by NC YIPPIE » Logged
1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:49 PM »

Screw you and your "you're lying".

Look more carefully at the NYT reports and and https://heatst.com/world/exclusive-fbi-granted-fisa-warrant-covering-trump-camps-ties-to-russia/

There were so many reports on this issue and from so many Praetorian Guard media, suffice it to say it's easy to mix up sources ... ya know, for people who have a life.

You are of TWANLOC. 

Vetustior Humo.
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »

You're lying about the NYT printing anything about anyone ordering a wiretap of Trump or his posse of traitors. All the Times article said is that they tapped the Russians and by proxy whomever they spoke to - Cheeto was never the target. That's why you didn't quote the NYT and provided only your dubious paraphrase of wait for it...fake news.

Well, they wiretapped and hacked news reporters that weren't friendly to the Obama Admin.  For political reasons.  So it is entirely out of the realm of possibility that they would wiretap Trump for similar reasons.  Right?

Look, the government has been engaging in wholesale data collection in violation of our 4th Amendment rights.  They got caught spying on the Germans.  They have gotten caught doing a lot of things they shouldn't.

Did you not catch the last Wiki Leaks release?  What annoys me most is that everyone is looking at this distraction while much bigger and more important things are happening to OUR privacy.

And I guess we forget all the transmissions and meetings with Hillary's team and the Russians.  Or this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0

I'll make a prediction and we'll see if it comes through.  Trump's relationship with Russian isn't going to be warm and fuzzy much longer.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-envoy-un-warns-russia-us-stands-firm-175958794.html

1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »

He doesn't care about any of that; all he cares about is that I erroneously attributed to the NYT information from another source, so he could point finger and call, not mistaken, but LIAR.

Virtue signalling, cause he's the truth bringer, donchaknow.

What I think about him, and people like him, I cannot write here, but be sure, they are pushing a reckoning.

Vetustior Humo.
1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »

........ "surveilling Russians" and instead of masking the Americans involved, leaked.

Vetustior Humo.
1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:52 PM »

Well, they wiretapped and hacked news reporters that weren't friendly to the Obama Admin.  For political reasons.  So it is entirely out of the realm of possibility that they would wiretap Trump for similar reasons.  Right?

Look, the government has been engaging in wholesale data collection in violation of our 4th Amendment rights.  They got caught spying on the Germans.  They have gotten caught doing a lot of things they shouldn't.

Did you not catch the last Wiki Leaks release?  What annoys me most is that everyone is looking at this distraction while much bigger and more important things are happening to OUR privacy.

And I guess we forget all the transmissions and meetings with Hillary's team and the Russians.  Or this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0

I'll make a prediction and we'll see if it comes through.  Trump's relationship with Russian isn't going to be warm and fuzzy much longer.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-envoy-un-warns-russia-us-stands-firm-175958794.html

About us, we're toast; they're spying on some of the most influential people in the world with no repercussions so far.  When they need a crime, then their fingers will go walking through the metadata on us to find one.

Vetustior Humo.
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »

He doesn't care about any of that; all he cares about is that I erroneously attributed to the NYT information from another source, so he could point finger and call, not mistaken, but LIAR.

Virtue signalling, cause he's the truth bringer, donchaknow.

What I think about him, and people like him, I cannot write here, but be sure, they are pushing a reckoning.

I might have made the same exact mistake.  But I've seen a lot of articles lately about this.

I'm sure some people are quite happily dodging the thing I said about SJWs and their culpability when it comes to the current war many on the left are waging on free speech.

That's the truth that some people don't want to acknowledge.  Along with the truth about our 4th Amendment infringements I mentioned above.  Why?  Because that happened on the last guy's watch.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: