Chatham County Online BBS
May 25, 2017, 09:39:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Before you go out to eat check out the Local Restaurant Reviews

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 田redible news"  (Read 3073 times)
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 08:44:39 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2017, 06:59:54 PM »

The Dems still own Obamacare, its failure is theirs and theirs alone.

Our Congress needs to stop butting heads, obstructing while continuing to draw a do nothing paycheck like they have for years now. Constituents need solutions. Hammer out parts of ACA that aren't working well and find workable solutions, keep parts that are working well. A lot more thought went into ACA than the 3 week rush of Trumpcare, Ryan dream, kill off the poor and elderly or whatever you folks call it. Take some ownership with DOING something productive, vs. just obstructing.

Do you use your head for anything other than a hat rack?   Are you calling us all young and rich is that what you believe?? If not ask yourself why we would ruin ourselves or kill ourselves off??

Take your meds put down the koolaid and think for a second before you act.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:April 26, 2017, 12:15:48 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »

How do ya think it's goin' so far?

Howbow dat?

What?  You want me to "cash you outside"?

Market went down based on speculation that the Repub's would screw up the ACA repeal/replace.  The fact is that the ACA puts the burden on businesses to make up for adverse selection when it comes to the ACA marketplaces. 

Even with insurance carriers raising rates on businesses that purchase group insurance, it's not enough and many insurance carriers are simply opting out of providing plans for the market place.

If the ACA had been repealed I believe the market would have reacted favorably because it would have rightly interpreted it as elimination of a tax on businesses.  That tax has essentially hindered companies with just below 50 employees from growing.

This isn't something that just affects large corporations with thousands of covered employees.  As far as how Trump is doing?  Well, despite the foot in mouth disease he displays on Twitter, not terrible.  But not as good as I hoped either.  Then again, I never was a Trump fan.

I'd hoped that the first thing he'd have done is announce sweeping changes at Veteran's Affairs.  I'd have hoped he'd have made an announcement that the NSA and other intelligence agencies would stop collecting our data.

What he's done is roll out a budget that partially addresses the cuts we need.  But doesn't go far enough.  Especially when it comes to military spending.  So far, if I had to give him a grade, he'd get a C+.  And that's only because he hasn't instituted more freedom crushing directives from the Executive Branch than Obama did.  He's rolling back a lot of regulation, which is encouraging so long as it is the ill-conceived stuff that impedes growth and never did a thing to protect the environment.  There's more of those regs that you might think.

We'll see, I guess.  I'm skeptical of government in general, so if you were looking for some glowing review of Trump's actions thus far, I'm afraid you'll have to live with disappointment. 

As a libertarian, my candidates always lose.  So for me, it's always a situation where I'm outside looking in and hoping beyond hope that the party of the dopey pizza guy would have somehow managed to do better.

Now I'm thoroughly depressed for typing all that.  Great.  I'm going downstairs to get a beer.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:36:55 PM by Pi » Logged

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 10:05:41 PM »

Ok, I got my beer and a slice of orange.  Now I can make my prediction for how this is going to go.

For a long time now I haven't bothered to share much in the way of analysis.  Partly that is because most people simply aren't listening and I have better things to do with my time.  Which is to say I can type up articles and actually get a check in the mail for my time and trouble.  It's not a lot.  Maybe enough for a shopping excursion to Bed Bath and Beyond.  I won't be buying an island in the Caymans anytime soon.

Here's the punchline and I'll explain after I say it:  The Republicans have fuxored any hope of repealing or replacing the ACA for the forseable future.

At this point, the only way for the Repubs to make any progress with repeal/replace when it comes to the ACA is via the reconciliation process.  To do otherwise, they would need 60 votes in the Senate and they can't do this because they'd have to get 8 Democrats onboard.

Which, incidentally, is why we're seeing this headline "White House Opens Door to Democrats in Wake of Health-Bill Failure"
https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-opens-door-to-democrats-in-wake-of-health-bill-failure-1490547877

So everyone must understand this: in order to have ANY hope of a new healthcare bill, the Repubs are going to have to get at least some of the Democrats onboard.  There are several major obstacles though:

1) Republicans and Democrats are largely self serving.  Republicans have had success running on a platform of repealing and replacing Obamacare.  If they "fix" the problem, they don't get to run on that issue anymore.  And they know it.  Same thing for the Dems that are in strong "blue" demographic areas.  Each side is looking to use healthcare reform as a way to energize their respective bases.  In other words, they are willing to sell the well being of the ordinary citizen down the river if it means they can capitalize on the pain of the average Joe or Jane.

2) There is another fight on the horizon in Congress that may well overshadow healthcare reform.  At least in the short term.  That's "raising the debt limit".  This will hit the headlines again sometime around May or June.

3) Yet another big issue the Repubs are dealing with is the budget.  Which is going to be something that a lot of Repubs are going to fight each other over because there's a lot of sweetheart spending programs (call it "pork" if you want to) that is in the mix.  You better believe that the Dems aren't the only ones looking for government handouts for their constituents.  

4) The battle over Gorsuch also remains.  This needs to be done by April 6th because there's then going to be a recess and Congress doesn't reconvene until April 24th.  (Only in government can a body do practically nothing and then need a 2 week break to take a rest from doing nothing).

The result is that we're stuck with the ACA for a very long time.  That means that employers will need to make sure they have solutions in place for all the compliance.  And they'll have to have their checkbooks ready to pay all the applicable fees.

There is one wildcard in all of this and that's the Treasury Department.  Trump could influence the Treasury not to enforce the employer mandate.  This will undoubtedly help to increase jobs, but it's still a bandaid solution.

Right now, the ACA enrollment is taking pressure off Medicare when it comes to Part A funding.  If the ACA marketplaces implode, which is happening in certain  geographical areas simply because the carrier can't sustain it, that could be a bad thing.  

What they should have done is repeal the ACA and pass legislation that:

1) Required any insurance carrier to cover a person regardless of pre-existing conditions
2) Removed state level DOI restrictions on carriers being able to sell across state lines.  One of the things that insurance carriers have been allowed to do is create their own fiefdoms where other carriers couldn't create a network and compete.  That, ladies and gentlemen, is not the way a free market is supposed to work.  That's cronyism any way you want to slice it.  State governance shares the blame with insurance companies for this.
3) Work with insurance carriers (which is a nice way of saying drag them to the table by their ear lobes) to create private marketplaces for individual insurance.  End the employer mandate and let employers setup HRA accounts that can be used for medical expenses.  Or simply provide a certain amount of funding to each employee based on desired coverage level that the employee can use in the private marketplace.  These plans will be quite different than the plans currently offered via the ACA marketplaces.  The plans would be largely considered to be "catastrophic plans" in nature, and will all have high deductibles.  They will not provide things like dental care or prenatal care because they would be individually underwritten.

Lefties, righties, and libertarians who read what I just wrote will all take issue with it for various reasons.  That's because it involves actual compromise, which everyone says they want but aren't actually willing to do.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:19:42 PM by Pi, Reason: 5.0% beer is okay. 12% beer means typos get made and need to be fixed. » Logged

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »

Some healthcare providers out there are trying to return some sanity to the system.  It just goes to show that it can be done.

https://surgerycenterok.com/

https://youtu.be/hb_woGzJXTY?list=PLo80jcwBbsZG3mb3I1QUMdIpQLB0OT5Kn

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:27:33 PM by Pi » Logged

Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2017, 10:14:15 AM »

Whether Trump's detractors want to acknowledge it or not, the stock market likes the direction he wants to take the country.  Especially because it means less obstructionist regulation and a repeal of the ACA.  At least in theory.

Whether the market has made an accurate assessment is hard to say. 

However, there's no doubt that the Republican failure in Congress (which is partly the Dem's fault) is why the market is taking a dive today.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/27/us-markets.html

natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 01:04:17 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »

The Dems still own Obamacare, its failure is theirs and theirs alone.

Our Congress needs to stop butting heads, obstructing while continuing to draw a do nothing paycheck like they have for years now. Constituents need solutions. Hammer out parts of ACA that aren't working well and find workable solutions, keep parts that are working well. A lot more thought went into ACA than the 3 week rush of Trumpcare, Ryan dream, kill off the poor and elderly or whatever you folks call it. Take some ownership with DOING something productive, vs. just obstructing.

Do you use your head for anything other than a hat rack?   Are you calling us all young and rich is that what you believe?? If not ask yourself why we would ruin ourselves or kill ourselves off??

Take your meds put down the koolaid and think for a second before you act.

It was widely reported/revealed where the impacts of 'Trumpcare' would have hit hardest. Not to mention the millions of people that would have been back to no insurance.

Do you ever have anything worthwhile to contribute on here? No. Keep drinking the Orangeade Trump elixir and where you land.
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 09:26:35 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »

After Medicaid, Medicare and hospital ERs having to take care of people, who the hell "has no insurance"?

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »

Do you ever have anything worthwhile to contribute on here? No. Keep drinking the Orangeade Trump elixir and where you land.

What have you ever contributed here?  Nothing as far as I can tell.

As far as "killing off the poor and elderly or whatever", I saw that as part of the Democrat solution rather than the Republican one.  Removing choice from the people that are covered, and letting some committee decide on what kind of quality of life they have and then decide what care they should receive.

If you want to bridge the gap, simply move those people to Medicaid if they are eligible.  It would be a temporary solution while the private marketplaces spring up.  The key is to avoid having government dictate plan provisions other than pre-existing conditions.  Let people buy coverage across state lines and let it be individually underwritten with various coverage level options.  

People that refuse to buy any insurance and are ineligible for Medicare/Medicaid should have some responsibility for their choices.  Especially if there's no possibility of being excluded by pre-existing conditions.  They'll have to sign up and possibly pay something.  But that's better than having no skin in the game from a cost perspective.  

As far as preventative care, I believe there's a doctor in Apex that allows people to pay a reasonable fee for a checkup.  If I remember rightly he doesn't accept insurance.  

John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 08:44:39 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2017, 07:48:35 PM »

After Medicaid, Medicare and hospital ERs having to take care of people, who the hell "has no insurance"?

You forgot those that don't want ins. of their own free will.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2017, 10:33:25 PM »

You forgot those that don't want ins. of their own free will.

Actually, I didn't forget them, I left them out, because in Wabit's world they don't count.  It's only those she champions as being "oppressed by the greedy" that count in her world.  She's one of yer original virtue signalers.

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 01:04:17 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »

I've paid into Medicare with a deduction OUT of every paycheck for decades. Better figure out a way to HONOR that vs. BAIL on that in return just saying Wink
1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2017, 09:12:15 PM »

I've paid into Medicare with a deduction OUT of every paycheck for decades. Better figure out a way to HONOR that vs. BAIL on that in return just saying Wink

As have many, a lot of which who have died without withdrawing a cent.

But nevermind that, and don't change the subject.  And btw, having no insurance doesn't mean no medical care, toots, besides with Obamacare, having the stinkin' insurance doesn't necessarily guarantee one gets to use it what the mega-deductibles.

Vetustior Humo.
Ice Pilot2

Last Login:May 22, 2017, 07:50:13 AM
Date Registerd:January 16, 2017, 12:07:59 PM

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 07:44:46 AM »

......with Obamacare, having the stinkin' insurance doesn't necessarily guarantee one gets to use it what the mega-deductibles.

championssmilie    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:46:47 AM by Ice Pilot2 » Logged
1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »

I left out a word, ".... what WITH the mega-deductibles".

Vetustior Humo.
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »

Note that once the discussion turned to specifics, the trolls and virtue signalers evaporated.  This is the way it goes around here.  Always has and probably always will be.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: