Chatham County Online BBS
December 12, 2017, 10:30:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read what Chatham County bloggers are saying at the Blog Aggregator

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brake checker  (Read 4892 times)
Muddylaces
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 04, 2017, 02:19:31 PM
Date Registerd:December 26, 2007, 09:46:35 AM

HiLlARy Fraudham Nixon for Prison '16

« on: February 22, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »

So I was driving up business 64 west to the bypass today with a white suv in front of me.   I think he was trying to teach me a lesson for tailgating him as we pulled on the bypass.   I did crowd him a bit, I was increasing speed to pull on the bypass, and I thought he was doing the same.   Instead, he chose to brake check me.    But here is the lesson pal, everything is on video these days, and while you may have had fun playing this game in the past, because the driver in the rear would be found at fault in a wreck.    Those days are over, keep playing that game and you'll find yourself a vehicular manslaughter charge.

https://youtu.be/GvZ3EmT1cVQ
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:55:54 PM by Muddylaces » Logged

You don't change kayaks in the middle of the Haw. Return Bock-Stewart-Petty
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 01:39:05 PM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 08:29:04 PM

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »

IMO you were fine, they were being a jerk.

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government. -- Declaration of Independence
kstraughn
Chathamite

Last Login:Today at 10:19:48 PM
Date Registerd:March 10, 2006, 02:07:41 PM

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:32:26 AM »

Hope you "waved" on your way past, they deserved it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

Last Login:September 20, 2017, 10:10:33 PM
Date Registerd:January 16, 2017, 12:07:59 PM

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:52:32 AM »

I am not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV, but, imho, you both could have been ruled "contributing parties" if there had been contact.

It appears you were following too closely for much too long - for both your speed and the wet road conditions.  The other driver appears to have braked twice without a "reason" ( dunno if that is even a legal premise).   The video evidence is great - for both parties.

Never have seen the downside to keeping a good safe distance between my front and someone's rear. (vehicles folks!)   Learned that as a school bus driver, back in the dark ages when NC let us High School students drive school buses.  5 speed stick with a clutch -  never heard of an accident in our school system caused by one of us young drivers either.  Must have been some somewhere though, the thought of letting teenagers drive school buses today would be treated as a criminal offense.  

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:55:02 AM by Ice Pilot2 » Logged
TCD
Chathamite

Last Login:June 21, 2017, 12:32:19 PM
Date Registerd:January 01, 2013, 11:52:50 AM

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »

and while you may have had fun playing this game in the past, because the driver in the rear would be found at fault in a wreck.  

That was never the case. It's a myth. 

I was on a jury for a rear-end collision case many years ago, long before dashcams existed.  We were instructed that the party in front also has an obligation to take care, including not braking suddenly for no reason.

It's true you are negligent if you rear-end someone.  But the person you rear-ended can be contributorily negligent.  And someone who is contributorily negligent in NC cannot collect damages.  None.  There is no "you were 60% negligent and he was 40% so you have to pay 60%".  In NC if you someone is even 0.001% negligent, they cannot collect.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/north-carolina-law/north-carolina-negligence-laws.html
Muddylaces
Chathamohican

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:28:08 AM »

I am not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV, but, imho, you both could have been ruled "contributing parties" if there had been contact.

It appears you were following too closely for much too long - for both your speed and the wet road conditions.  The other driver appears to have braked twice without a "reason" ( dunno if that is even a legal premise).   The video evidence is great - for both parties.

Never have seen the downside to keeping a good safe distance between my front and someone's rear. (vehicles folks!)   Learned that as a school bus driver, back in the dark ages when NC let us High School students drive school buses.  5 speed stick with a clutch -  never heard of an accident in our school system caused by one of us young drivers either.  Must have been some somewhere though, the thought of letting teenagers drive school buses today would be treated as a criminal offense.  

You know.  I do think I was too close, he was varying his speed for some reason causing me to ride up on him and then having to back off, but not close enough to anger a reasonable person.    Also, at the first brake check I was speeding up to pass when I noticed the suburban in my blind spot.    
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:30:45 AM by Muddylaces » Logged

Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 01:39:05 PM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 08:29:04 PM

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »

Here is the Chatham problem, many of us drive in Raleigh and Greensboro everyday, city driving and congested highway driving. US 64 is becoming more and more congested and faster. Sure the NCHP is out there but they only catch a few. Going 70-80 on the Pittsboro bypass is normal speed, US-64 Pittsboro to Siler 65 seems to be the norm. So we have slower, drivers on a busy highway with metro drivers. Too close for a rural driver is not too close for a Raleigh driver.

We also have a lot of transplant drivers, DC, Baltimore, New York, LA, Chicago, Atlanta etc all drivers that drive in traffic differently. We are not in Mayberry anymore.

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government. -- Declaration of Independence
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »

Too close for a rural driver is not too close for a Raleigh driver.

We also have a lot of transplant drivers, DC, Baltimore, New York, LA, Chicago, Atlanta etc all drivers that drive in traffic differently. We are not in Mayberry anymore.

Too close is not a matter of geography.  Safe following distances should factor in speed and road conditions.  It is a matter of physics.  

Being safe and respectful is not limited to fictional Mayberry, or whether someone else drives "differently".    

I learned the 2 second "rule" when I was 16 years old.  Have driven many many times in every city mentioned except Chicago.  Just because all the type A's on their roads follow too close, does not mean I have too.  Arriving 5 minutes later is still arriving.    Like one of my neighbors was fond of saying; " If you are in that big of a hurry, you should have left earlier."

http://www.drive-safely.net/safe-following-distance/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:37:21 PM by Ice Pilot2 » Logged
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 05, 2017, 05:31:15 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »

Too close is not a matter of geography.  Safe following distances should factor in speed and road conditions.  It is a matter of physics. 

Being safe and respectful is not limited to fictional Mayberry, or whether someone else drives "differently".     

Exactly.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

What people need to understand is that slow drivers are not to blame for you being 2 minutes late for work or whatever event you're going to.  It is your responsibility to factor in things like traffic and other road issues.

If you want to get there earlier, tailgating and speeding are not solutions.  The solution is to begin your commute a few minutes earlier.  This is something everyone (be they transplants or locals) should understand.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 05, 2017, 05:31:15 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »

" If you are in that big of a hurry, you should have left earlier."

Yup, I see you were editing your post while I was typing mine.  =)

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 09, 2017, 07:18:57 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »

Personally I hate tailgaters. Anything can happen~such as a deer darting across the road, something flying out of a vehicle in front of you etc. requiring you to have to brake harder than normal.
Just not a good practice.

I drive 64 between Siler and PBO often enough to also know some areas pool water when raining and some vehicles get the tire grab effect more than others. I have AWD and I've felt it on that road.

Also see a lot of HP on that stretch and I 'thank' them as I drive past when have someone pulled over for going 80 in 55 zone weaving in and out endangering others Wink It's the law and not about where you were born or 'came from'.
Muddylaces
Chathamohican

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »

Neither of us were speeding.   He was varying his speed for some reason from 55 down to 50 and then back up....My app used to record speed too, not sure when it stopped doing that function.    

Also to an earlier post about the one fingered salute.   I don't do that.   It was an everyday occurrence seeing that in Massachusetts, and I'm not going to contribute to it turning into a common occurrence here.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:27:04 PM by Muddylaces » Logged

Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 09:35:28 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 09:27:19 PM

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 04:33:55 PM »

I had to go watch again after some of the comments ;'}

Not knowing the speeds makes it harder to judge but you weren't too close until the 0:40 mark - which was 1.5 seconds before the idiot brake-checked you. That means that just as you are approaching the "too close" range he was already scheming to initiate that act. And when I say that I want to clarify that at no time were you dangerously close.

I guarantee that this is not the first time that klown has done that (or the last).

The funny thing is that u-toob gave us a bunch of other videos - all based on keywords. So (if you watched any) you got to see some serious tailgating!

From my perspective the only thing you may have done differently would have possibly been to try to increase the following distance faster once the klown checked you (but not really). What I observed was that you didn't show a reaction, which would have served as bait for a road-rager (and yes, people who brake-check are classic ragers).

My .02

Grin

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 05:14:19 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »

Aaahhhh, the guy was messing with his phone.  Slow down/speed up = classic.

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »

Not knowing the speeds makes it harder to judge but you weren't too close .........

Knowing the speed is not necessary.  Too close is really a matter of time between vehicles. With that in mind, a safe distance will increase as speed increases.  2 seconds at 70 mph is going to be a lot more distance than 2 seconds at 35 mph.   

It appears to me,  and I think Muddy after further review, that he was indeed too close.  Using the 2 second "rule" he was less than that during most of the recorded and shared video.  Plus with a wet road surface, it is prudent to increase the time to more than 2 seconds.   

So, it looks like this is shaping up to be a matter of public opinion from each of our individual perspectives.  Bad example, but, perhaps kind of like how one person thinks they are fine to drive after drinking just a couple of beers, but, another will believe that is criminal.    It's all good until something bad happens.    Provoked or not.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: