Chatham County Online BBS
August 17, 2017, 11:52:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We've got local links galore! Check out the Chatham Links

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: So went to recycle today...  (Read 11747 times)
natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 12:12:03 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 05:30:04 PM »

The attendants at the sites are employed by Lankford Security in Greensboro.

Exactly, just like what is listed in the county job link posted earlier.    The attendants are employed as "contractors" for $8.15 per hour without any benefits.   

I agree wholeheartedly with rabit, they do a good job and are appreciated.   

Not a glamorous job for sure. I really appreciate the ones that land in there that are friendly and esp. willing to help elderly people to unload when that need arises. I'm not in that category yet, but if hit that wall I'd like to think the same type good folks will be working there to assist!
SlowEasy
Chathamite

Last Login:February 02, 2017, 05:45:14 PM
Date Registerd:November 04, 2011, 10:31:06 PM

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »

Who was the 'genius' that thought one little container for most all recyclables could replace/keep up with about 15 or 20 bins in exchange?  No longer accept shredded paper, which in most cases is confidential/ID type material nobody wants to turn loose down a conveyor sort belt somewhere. I was told could still shred it, bag it and put it in off to the landfill bins Angry Upon my arrival today, the new thingy was gone on a haul), which meant if I wanted to unload mostly recyclables my only option was to put it in landfill destined garbage vs. or ride my load around until the new little thingy returned.
UNACCEPTABLE 'solution'. People pay taxes, extra fees for this service and should not have to take their garbage back home until the one little 'thingy' returns! JMO. Poorly planned and not well thought out at all. JMO

This is just a suggestion, but the county could put back one of there old large open bins beside where this little "thingy" was at when its gone. They could incorporate a door in the side of one of these open bins to access bin to access it's contents easier. This way residents can have some place to unload their recyclables in an open bin until center attendants can unload contents into the "thingy" when it returns!

All post from this day forward are from Daniel from Auto Fashions in North Chatham County of Pittsboro NC. 919-542-5566. website Link under my profile
(I Purchased June's computer on Sept 22. 2014)
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 05:59:26 PM »

Who was the 'genius' that thought one little container for most all recyclables could replace/keep up with about 15 or 20 bins in exchange?  No longer accept shredded paper, which in most cases is confidential/ID type material nobody wants to turn loose down a conveyor sort belt somewhere. I was told could still shred it, bag it and put it in off to the landfill bins Angry Upon my arrival today, the new thingy was gone on a haul), which meant if I wanted to unload mostly recyclables my only option was to put it in landfill destined garbage vs. or ride my load around until the new little thingy returned.
UNACCEPTABLE 'solution'. People pay taxes, extra fees for this service and should not have to take their garbage back home until the one little 'thingy' returns! JMO. Poorly planned and not well thought out at all. JMO

This is just a suggestion, but the county could put back one of there old large open bins beside where this little "thingy" was at when its gone. They could incorporate a door in the side of one of these open bins to access bin to access it's contents easier. This way residents can have some place to unload their recyclables in an open bin until center attendants can unload contents into the "thingy" when it returns!

Dunno'!? TALL challenge for the ONE new bin to accommodate goods from MULTIPLE cardboard, cans, plastics, mixed paper and newspaper bins~esp. @ busier sites. Don't know how far, or where have to go with the "thingy' bin. I do know several hrs. passed between during my 1st stab of it not being there and post errands passed by again...not to mention had to get creative where to put my groceries, etc. in car since back end was full of garbage/recycle goods.
Guess it will all 'iron out'...
TCD
Chathamite

Last Login:June 21, 2017, 12:32:19 PM
Date Registerd:January 01, 2013, 11:52:50 AM

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »

In the Commissioners' agenda packet from January 17, it has the details, including maps of the new layouts at the Pittsboro and Cole Park centers. Here is the link to the "Changes in Recycling" portion:
https://chathamnc.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2915973&GUID=3C35AC8D-C19A-4D96-A436-C7061E9BA062&Options=&Search=

And here is the current info on shredded paper from the website:

The only item that we accept now that we will not be able to accept after the change to mixed recycling is shredded paper. Shredded paper can be composted or used as liners in flower beds. The Solid Waste and Recycling Division offers free shredding each year at our annual Earth Day Event. Chatham residents can bring up to three boxes or bags of paper to be shredded. This year’s event will be Saturday, April 22, 2017.

http://www.chathamnc.org/services/solid-waste-recycling/collection-centers-recycling?platform=hootsuite

I don't know what the security is at this event. I personally have a burn day after I do my taxes in the spring and I burn my paper w/ confidential info on it from the previous year.

I've done it.  The security is fine.  They bring in a shredding truck from ProShred.  You load your own papers into the bin and watch the truck suck it up and shred it, no other hands on your papers except yours. 

The county does it once a year but most banks and credit unions also have shredding days throughout the year that work the same way.  Keep an eye out for your bank to have one.
TCD
Chathamite

Last Login:June 21, 2017, 12:32:19 PM
Date Registerd:January 01, 2013, 11:52:50 AM

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »

Who was the 'genius' that thought one little container for most all recyclables could replace/keep up with about 15 or 20 bins in exchange?  No longer accept shredded paper, which in most cases is confidential/ID type material nobody wants to turn loose down a conveyor sort belt somewhere. I was told could still shred it, bag it and put it in off to the landfill bins Angry Upon my arrival today, the new thingy was gone on a haul), which meant if I wanted to unload mostly recyclables my only option was to put it in landfill destined garbage vs. or ride my load around until the new little thingy returned.

I'd give them a break and assume it's a new system and they will work the kinks out. I like it because under the old system you had to sort your recycleables into 8 piles:  plastic, brown glass, green glass, clear glass, paper, cardboard, steel cans, aluminum cans.  PITA and I'm probably forgetting one or two.

Now it's  two piles, co-mingled recycleables and glass (no longer have to separate the colors).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:04:21 PM by TCD » Logged
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 03:32:17 PM »

Who was the 'genius' that thought one little container for most all recyclables could replace/keep up with about 15 or 20 bins in exchange?  No longer accept shredded paper, which in most cases is confidential/ID type material nobody wants to turn loose down a conveyor sort belt somewhere. I was told could still shred it, bag it and put it in off to the landfill bins Angry Upon my arrival today, the new thingy was gone on a haul), which meant if I wanted to unload mostly recyclables my only option was to put it in landfill destined garbage vs. or ride my load around until the new little thingy returned.

I'd give them a break and assume it's a new system and they will work the kinks out. I like it because under the old system you had to sort your recycleables into 8 piles:  plastic, brown glass, green glass, clear glass, paper, cardboard, steel cans, aluminum cans.  PITA and I'm probably forgetting one or two.

Now it's  two piles, co-mingled recycleables and glass (no longer have to separate the colors).

Agree nice to not have to sort so much...laundry is bad enough laugh
Seriously don't want to have to 'save' shredded for an extended period of time either. Perhaps the county will have to offer that more frequently?
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 10:03:17 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »

Perhaps it ain't the county's responsibility to help you deal with your stuff.

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 09:15:48 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »

I love the frustration of liberals as a result of B.S. recycling policies that those same liberals pushed for.

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC3CZBDz7Wg

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »

It happens to be a service I pay for within my taxes and sticker to use the facility. Chatham Co. has done a great job overall with the centers and initiative. I know I am more environmentally concerned  to guard the one planet we have to live on than some of you rubes.
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 10:11:57 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »

It happens to be a service I pay for within my taxes and sticker to use the facility. Chatham Co. has done a great job overall with the centers and initiative. I know I am more environmentally concerned  to guard the one planet we have to live on than some of you rubes.

I for one want to thank you for doing what you do. That cancels out what I don't do.  That makes us even.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
mary51802
Chathamohican

Last Login:June 02, 2017, 12:51:36 PM
Date Registerd:July 05, 2008, 04:58:25 PM

we are all beautiful

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »

Notices out west here one bin for recycling! Saves so much time. The guy said they sort it at the recycling hub south of here.

He who p*isses into the wind is all wet....................
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »

I for one want to thank you for doing what you do. That cancels out what I don't do.  That makes us even.

Not surprised you wouldn't grasp the importance to protect our environment Roll Eyes
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 10:11:57 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 06:52:09 PM »

Not surprised you wouldn't grasp the importance to protect our environment Roll Eyes

I am protecting my environment from you and your sanctimonious ilk that think you have a monopoly on caring. The littlest thing you do is followed by an announcement of  your saint hood.  This is hard to believe but Repubs live on the same planet, hard to believe I know but the moon is the same color on my planet too.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »

I am protecting my environment from you and your sanctimonious ilk that think you have a monopoly on caring. The littlest thing you do is followed by an announcement of  your saint hood.  This is hard to believe but Repubs live on the same planet, hard to believe I know but the moon is the same color on my planet too.

Here is something else you can probably relate to  Wink
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-schlarmann/betsy-devos-orders-immediate-flattening-of-all-school-globes_b_14639376.html

I guess the 'good news' is Sarah Palin will put on payroll to be assault loaded to rid the schools of all those pesky grizzlies.

Spineless people that couldn't oppose this STUPID rich "B" shill just because she gave mega money to them~which by the way was made from one of the worst pyramid schemes ever.
srvfan
Chathamohican

Last Login:May 29, 2017, 01:03:43 PM
Date Registerd:February 10, 2006, 03:21:51 PM

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 08:06:08 AM »

Spineless people that couldn't oppose this STUPID rich "B" shill just because she gave mega money to them~which by the way was made from one of the worst pyramid schemes ever.

she got rich off social security?

"The government forces those who sell pharmaceutical drugs to list the possible side effects, even if only a few people will suffer those side effects. Unfortunately, the government itself never tells us about the bad side effects of the things it prescribes."- Thomas Sowell
Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: