Chatham County Online BBS
November 17, 2017, 09:31:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read the best Chatlist posts at Chatham Chatlist Highlights

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: So went to recycle today...  (Read 14941 times)
natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 08:25:09 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« on: January 30, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »

Who was the 'genius' that thought one little container for most all recyclables could replace/keep up with about 15 or 20 bins in exchange?  No longer accept shredded paper, which in most cases is confidential/ID type material nobody wants to turn loose down a conveyor sort belt somewhere. I was told could still shred it, bag it and put it in off to the landfill bins Angry Upon my arrival today, the new thingy was gone on a haul), which meant if I wanted to unload mostly recyclables my only option was to put it in landfill destined garbage vs. or ride my load around until the new little thingy returned.
UNACCEPTABLE 'solution'. People pay taxes, extra fees for this service and should not have to take their garbage back home until the one little 'thingy' returns! JMO. Poorly planned and not well thought out at all. JMO
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

Last Login:September 20, 2017, 10:10:33 PM
Date Registerd:January 16, 2017, 12:07:59 PM

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »

Who was the 'genius' that thought one little container for most all recyclables could replace/keep up with about 15 or 20 bins in exchange?  No longer accept shredded paper, which in most cases is confidential/ID type material nobody wants to turn loose down a conveyor sort belt somewhere. I was told could still shred it, bag it and put it in off to the landfill bins Angry Upon my arrival today, the new thingy was gone on a haul), which meant if I wanted to unload mostly recyclables my only option was to put it in landfill destined garbage vs. or ride my load around until the new little thingy returned.
UNACCEPTABLE 'solution'. People pay taxes, extra fees for this service and should not have to take their garbage back home until the one little 'thingy' returns! JMO. Poorly planned and not well thought out at all. JMO

Went yesterday too.  Did not see what is described here.   Which center did you visit?
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 10:45:49 AM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 08:29:04 PM

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:51:49 AM »

In reality can you guarantee that even with the old system were recyclables recycled or did they go to the landfill.

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government. -- Declaration of Independence
Patty52
Chathameister

Last Login:Today at 04:59:25 PM
Date Registerd:August 27, 2008, 07:21:41 PM

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »

In the Commissioners' agenda packet from January 17, it has the details, including maps of the new layouts at the Pittsboro and Cole Park centers. Here is the link to the "Changes in Recycling" portion:
https://chathamnc.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2915973&GUID=3C35AC8D-C19A-4D96-A436-C7061E9BA062&Options=&Search=

And here is the current info on shredded paper from the website:

The only item that we accept now that we will not be able to accept after the change to mixed recycling is shredded paper. Shredded paper can be composted or used as liners in flower beds. The Solid Waste and Recycling Division offers free shredding each year at our annual Earth Day Event. Chatham residents can bring up to three boxes or bags of paper to be shredded. This year’s event will be Saturday, April 22, 2017.

http://www.chathamnc.org/services/solid-waste-recycling/collection-centers-recycling?platform=hootsuite

I don't know what the security is at this event. I personally have a burn day after I do my taxes in the spring and I burn my paper w/ confidential info on it from the previous year.

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »

Went yesterday too.  Did not see what is described here.   Which center did you visit?

Cole Park which is a very busy center with avid recyclers. Folks that work there are great. Not their fault that the one new little thingy that is suppose to replace so many bins there is not ample, but they are the folks that will deal with disgruntled people that either take their stuff back home for a later try or gets shifted to dumping recyclables into what goes to the dump Angry
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »

In reality can you guarantee that even with the old system were recyclables recycled or did they go to the landfill.

Well my hope is the county contracts with reputable people that do so. Besides, they (WE) pay by the TON what goes to a landfill and that shows up in your taxes. Recyclables are sold and = $ return. I'd think it would be quick order to detect a discrepancy and different destinations on loads.
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 06:12:53 PM »

In the Commissioners' agenda packet from January 17, it has the details, including maps of the new layouts at the Pittsboro and Cole Park centers. Here is the link to the "Changes in Recycling" portion:
https://chathamnc.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2915973&GUID=3C35AC8D-C19A-4D96-A436-C7061E9BA062&Options=&Search=

And here is the current info on shredded paper from the website:

The only item that we accept now that we will not be able to accept after the change to mixed recycling is shredded paper. Shredded paper can be composted or used as liners in flower beds. The Solid Waste and Recycling Division offers free shredding each year at our annual Earth Day Event. Chatham residents can bring up to three boxes or bags of paper to be shredded. This year’s event will be Saturday, April 22, 2017.

http://www.chathamnc.org/services/solid-waste-recycling/collection-centers-recycling?platform=hootsuite

I don't know what the security is at this event. I personally have a burn day after I do my taxes in the spring and I burn my paper w/ confidential info on it from the previous year.

Not done one of the big shredder truck events either. Not going to save a year's worth of things in anticipation of one day earth event. I queried a county person on site about what best to do and when I mentioned a ceremonial fire she curtly informed me that was illegal! I politely told her that was what they were encouraging by inadequately providing an avenue for such. Just food for thought. Plain/simple~new vendor county deals with does NOT accept any shredded paper.
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »

It is only illegal if you are burning trash, but who is to care. Start a campfire and use it as starter paper.

Recycling is a losing proposition, it costs more to recycle than you get back from what is sold. Scrap metal is bringing peanuts now and other waste has little value. Recycling also uses a lot of resources, more than it saves.

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government. -- Declaration of Independence
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 07:12:21 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 08:39:04 PM »

Compost the paper and use it in your garden.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »

Plain/simple~new vendor county deals with does NOT accept any shredded paper.

Vendor - another word for how to cut corners and save money.  Our tax dollars are spent to hire a vendor to take care of the operation.  The Vendor does not hire employees.  They hire "Contractors"  without any benefits at a low wage.  $8.15 per hour.  That probably comes to less than $5.00 per hour if the employee could afford to buy benefits ( Health Insurance, Life Insurance, retirement funding, disability insurance, vacation time, sick time, etc. etc.)     

http://www.chathamnc.org/Home/Components/JobPosts/Job/1147/44
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 12:34:26 PM »

It is only illegal if you are burning trash, but who is to care. Start a campfire and use it as starter paper.

Recycling is a losing proposition, it costs more to recycle than you get back from what is sold. Scrap metal is bringing peanuts now and other waste has little value. Recycling also uses a lot of resources, more than it saves.

I don't know the specific #'s and not going to go in search of the info. It's not cheap to acquire land to dig a hole and fill it with garbage either. I personally feel for Mother Earth and what dumping into her and then leakage pollution/contamination as a result.
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 12:36:19 PM »

Compost the paper and use it in your garden.

I actually do some of that, but only so much of it I can repurpose to that.
natvrabit
Chathamohican

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »

Plain/simple~new vendor county deals with does NOT accept any shredded paper.

Vendor - another word for how to cut corners and save money.  Our tax dollars are spent to hire a vendor to take care of the operation.  The Vendor does not hire employees.  They hire "Contractors"  without any benefits at a low wage.  $8.15 per hour.  That probably comes to less than $5.00 per hour if the employee could afford to buy benefits ( Health Insurance, Life Insurance, retirement funding, disability insurance, vacation time, sick time, etc. etc.)     

http://www.chathamnc.org/Home/Components/JobPosts/Job/1147/44

I believe many of the attendants are retired folks looking for a little extra $ and something to do a few days per week, maybe not all, dunno.  For most part they are all very friendly, helpful. Which I appreciate. Some not so much, then you don't see them there for long Wink I think we in Chatham are fortunate to have these centers compared to what it use to be with overflowing dumpster scattered along roadways.
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »

The idea of recycling is fine but if you use more resources and expel more pollutants in the process of trying to be "green" you are defeating the whole purpose. Sort of like solar, the mining of the silica for the panels is a toxic process and the ultimate destruction of the panels is also hazardous material. The power companies buy the energy from you, and sell energy back to you. You cannot store or directly use the power produced but you have to pay for the panels. You are subsidizing the power company and leasing your roof to them.

The attendants at the sites are employed by Lankford Security in Greensboro. I know the owners and try to put a good word in for the attendants every time I see them.

Ice Pilot2
Chathamite

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »

The attendants at the sites are employed by Lankford Security in Greensboro.

Exactly, just like what is listed in the county job link posted earlier.    The attendants are employed as "contractors" for $8.15 per hour without any benefits.   

I agree wholeheartedly with rabit, they do a good job and are appreciated.   
Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: