Chatham County Online BBS
December 11, 2017, 11:38:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: View 1000s of full-color action-filled local sports images at Chatham Photos

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: what would you do in this situation  (Read 602 times)
srvfan
Chathamohican

Last Login:May 29, 2017, 01:03:43 PM
Date Registerd:February 10, 2006, 03:21:51 PM

« on: October 20, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »

This post is based on the Corey Jones situation but not really a who's right/wrong question as much as what would you do in this situation question

http://www.wpbf.com/news/officer-shot-at-corey-jones-five-times-two-separate-instances/35942092

hypothetical scenario loosely based on the above article

Vehicle broken down, late night, alone, gun with you, maybe a concealed carry license, waiting on tow truck, unmarked van pulls up and someone gets out, obviously not the tow truck/mechanic

You're not sure who they are or what they intend to do.  Do you sit in car?  Get out?  If you get out do you make it obvious that you have a weapon.  Seems like you aknowledge the weapon so that if they do intend harm they'll either change their mind or you have easier access to it to defend yourself if they don't change their mind.  What's the tactical thing to do?

Even if they identify themself as police, do you believe them?  No markings on van, a fake badge isn't too hard to obtain.  How the heck are you supposed to respond in a way that protects yourself/family without the police officer thinking you intend to harm them and escalating the situation.  Assuming it really is a police officer?

If you're the officer why not drive past and call in a marked car to check on them? Or at least find out if a marked car is in the area?  Why put yourself in a situation where a civilian doesn't know who you are or what your intentions are?

"The government forces those who sell pharmaceutical drugs to list the possible side effects, even if only a few people will suffer those side effects. Unfortunately, the government itself never tells us about the bad side effects of the things it prescribes."- Thomas Sowell
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 05:06:59 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 09:27:19 PM

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 07:40:16 PM »

I would have tried to shoot more accurately than Jones did.

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
noway2
Chathameister

Last Login:April 22, 2016, 03:02:27 PM
Date Registerd:June 20, 2014, 01:36:40 PM

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:59:46 AM »

Variations of this come up in gun forums pretty regularly.  At the crux of it are two issues: one you're in a broken down vehicle in a remote location and being approached by a possible threat.  Two, the issue of verifying whether or not an unmarked, possibly not in uniform "officer" really is or if they are an impostor. 

My immediate answer to both of these situations would be to try to make a call to 911.  This serves multiple purposes.  First it begins an official chain of evidence should you be required to take forcible action to defend yourself.  Two, you can have the operator verify whether or not it truly is an officer on scene and allow you to also request a marked and uniformed patrol presence while also very likely escalating the priority of the response if it is not an officer on scene.

As far as getting out, staying in, I think I would be inclined to stay inside the vehicle with the windows up.  Once you lower the windows you greatly reduce their protective strength.  It also creates a physical barrier and provides legal protections under castle doctrine law.  The downside is that it offers limited ballistic protection and makes you vulnerable in that it is difficult to escape.
Freedom Handyman
Chathamite

Last Login:May 04, 2017, 06:35:57 AM
Date Registerd:December 23, 2007, 08:51:43 AM

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:07:38 AM »

Noway has a good point. I thought about the 911 call, but was there time?
This is a tough one. I believe the officer could have handled it better.......
If I were Jones? now, that's even tougher  Huh It's an effed up world and its hard to trust people. Unmarked van, how well did he REALLY identify himself as LEO, area popular for car burglaries, I really think this is a situation that needs to be studied. I guess I would have to have been there. Basically anyway you look at it, Jones dies or rots in prison. Really effed up. headbang

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army"
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: