Chatham County Online BBS
January 21, 2018, 03:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Before you go out to eat check out the Local Restaurant Reviews

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: CPS overreach?  (Read 757 times)
srvfan
Chathamohican

Last Login:January 19, 2018, 10:35:22 AM
Date Registerd:February 10, 2006, 03:21:51 PM

« on: May 13, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/off-the-grid-parents-lose-custody-of-10-kids-118797263547.html

I don't have grandkids, but if I did I'd prefer they live like this than in Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, et. al

"The government forces those who sell pharmaceutical drugs to list the possible side effects, even if only a few people will suffer those side effects. Unfortunately, the government itself never tells us about the bad side effects of the things it prescribes."- Thomas Sowell
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 10:24:04 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »

At first look I don't like it one little bit but I will look for more info.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:January 17, 2018, 10:43:20 AM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »

I support the right of parents to raise their children the way they see fit.  The only caveat being that they cannot harm the child.

That said, the concept of "unschooling" is often a cover for providing no schooling whatsoever.  With "unschooling" the child gets to direct their own education.  Sure, they might learn a few things while playing outside, but there are still skills they are going to need, such as reading, writing, and mathematics. 

Public schools are far from perfect.  I think we can all agree on that.  And homeschooling can be a wonderful thing.  I know some home schooled kids that are the smartest kids, for their age, that I've ever seen.  And they are socialized very well.  But that's because their parents work at it.  State aptitude tests are a complete joke to those kids.  They are way beyond that.

I may not support the state going in and removing the children from their parents, but if the kids are simply left to their own devices, the odds are that they are going to have very tough lives when they get older and lack the skills necessary to split a bill at a restaurant or read a bank loan contract.  Get the kids some kind of education when they are young.  And if they get older and want to say "to hell with all of it" and live in a treehouse, that's fine.  But without some kind of education those kids won't have the choice. 

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
noway2
Chathameister

Last Login:April 22, 2016, 03:02:27 PM
Date Registerd:June 20, 2014, 01:36:40 PM

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »

I may not support the state going in and removing the children from their parents, but if the kids are simply left to their own devices, the odds are that they are going to have very tough lives when they get older and lack the skills necessary to split a bill at a restaurant or read a bank loan contract. 
This comment real cuts to crux of the issue: at what point is the parents actions, behavior, or negligence and choice causing irreparable harm to the child or prevent them from being able to function in society.  Unless such a line has been crossed, it is not the State's job or position to say that you must have XYZ or live according to some arbitrary artificial standard.  Take for example the Amish, who theoretically, don't have electricity or indoor plumbing and are only schooled through eighth grade. 

It is a real problem when the govt starts trying to say things like you must send your child to govt, or govt approved and regulated, schools and that you must allow your children to be injected with foreign substances or that you must take a particular medical treatment, or whatever; all of which are anathema to the principle of liberty.  However, along with liberty comes responsibility and when people choose to shirk that responsibility problems arise.

Personally, if I were to ever have children, we've decided long ago that they would be home schooled for two reasons.  One, we would be able to provide a much better education and two, I do believe that one of the open salvos of the "New World Order" will be to round up children at (govt) schools and to take them to the camps where the parents will be allowed to join them.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: