Chatham County Online BBS
November 17, 2017, 12:26:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Best Email List in the Triangle! Join the Chatham Chatlist

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Recycling is BS  (Read 919 times)
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:November 02, 2017, 03:41:05 PM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 03:52:41 PM

« on: April 14, 2015, 07:58:59 PM »

This was a pretty good case and I have always like Penn & Teller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rExEVZlQia4

* Warning: A few curses thrown about.
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:October 18, 2017, 02:18:36 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 01:33:55 AM »

That's been around for a while.  I thought maybe at one point either me or someone else posted it.  One of the things I've talked about in the past is environmentalist schemes and their actual effectiveness.

Recycling is one of them.  Cap and Trade is another one.  I'm personally a proponent of individual action environmentalism.  That means disposing of hazardous materials and chemicals properly.  It means cleaning up after yourself and others when hunting of fishing.  When I go hunting, fishing, or hiking, I always take a trash bag or two with me and pick up as much as I can on the way back to the truck. 

Some of the most effective things you can do for the environment don't involve the government.  They don't involve passing more laws.  They aren't particularly glamorous.  They don't make a pithy carbon neutral statement on a bumper sticker.  They don't make you feel superior to your neighbors.

But they do make a difference.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 10:50:58 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 09:27:19 PM

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »

I was taught to accept as a point of personal pride to bring a little more out than you brought in. I have never placed it as an expectation for anyone (except my own kids) to do the same (but I sure appreciate it when I see it!).

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
noway2
Chathameister

Last Login:April 22, 2016, 03:02:27 PM
Date Registerd:June 20, 2014, 01:36:40 PM

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:22:33 PM »

I was taught to accept as a point of personal pride to bring a little more out than you brought in. I have never placed it as an expectation for anyone (except my own kids) to do the same (but I sure appreciate it when I see it!).
Must be some sort of generational thing that has been lost in recent years.  Your statement sounds awfully similar to one that was drilled into me as a kid, of return or leave something in a better condition than you found it.  Now a days, it seems to be all about take what you can or want and screw everyone else as long as you get your share.
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:November 02, 2017, 03:41:05 PM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 03:52:41 PM

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »

As a kid, I had to pick up 10 pieces of litter at every rest area we stopped at all the way across the country, on every family trip. Granted, it was mostly cigarette butts and pull tabs, but still.

Mom would say, "If everyone did this, we wouldn't have a litter problem."

Sometimes followed by the ever-popular, "You're either part of the solution, or part of the problem."
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: