Chatham County Online BBS
January 19, 2018, 02:20:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We've got local links galore! Check out the Chatham Links

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: high prices at PTA in Pittsboro?  (Read 2789 times)
taxed

Last Login:January 03, 2018, 11:28:39 AM
Date Registerd:October 03, 2012, 12:44:34 PM

« on: August 24, 2014, 09:37:30 AM »

I have been shopping at the PTA for over 20 years now but the last few months they have gone way up on prices!  I understand the money goes to help our schools and I LOVE the thrift store. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed how much they have gone up?  I wanted to buy a picture there the other day it wasn't in a frame just taped on card.  I took the picture with another one that was priced in a frame hand signed.  The manager refused to let me buy the picture until she looked it up on the internet and because they were closing in five minutes she said I couldn't purchase it that day!!! HUH?  Didn't they get the donation for free?  She was very rude and I thought you just lost a sale and a customer!!!   

Siler City PTA has reasonable prices and I will go there from now on and I bet they would have let me BUY the picture that day!!
NickD
Chathamite

Last Login:September 10, 2017, 09:32:57 PM
Date Registerd:February 15, 2012, 08:37:47 PM

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »

It's the Antiques Roadshow mentality. Everyone is afraid they're gonna sell a Monet for 50

"Life is hard, don't make it harder by trying to make it easier"
60-two
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:37 AM »

I heard it myself from the manager herself: "We will sell it on ebay", when I pointed out something that was valuable. I would love to see the stuff she has on there and if the money ends up back at schools or in her personal account.
Everett McGill
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:38:28 AM »

I heard it myself from the manager herself: "We will sell it on ebay", when I pointed out something that was valuable. I would love to see the stuff she has on there and if the money ends up back at schools or in her personal account.

Do the Thrift Shops really sell on eBay?   
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:January 17, 2018, 09:51:33 AM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:24:22 AM »

I stopped dealing with the Pittsboro shop when they wouldn't give me a receipt without filling in the donated-dollar amount.  It's none of their business what I'm claiming and they are not required to ask.

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
60-two
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »

It would be nice to know the website.
natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 12:18:07 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »

I have been shopping at the PTA for over 20 years now but the last few months they have gone way up on prices!  I understand the money goes to help our schools and I LOVE the thrift store. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed how much they have gone up?  I wanted to buy a picture there the other day it wasn't in a frame just taped on card.  I took the picture with another one that was priced in a frame hand signed.  The manager refused to let me buy the picture until she looked it up on the internet and because they were closing in five minutes she said I couldn't purchase it that day!!! HUH?  Didn't they get the donation for free?  She was very rude and I thought you just lost a sale and a customer!!!   

Siler City PTA has reasonable prices and I will go there from now on and I bet they would have let me BUY the picture that day!!

They all seem to be off the mark on prices for some items. PBO in particular has trended there and I don't check in there as often as a result.
Can't go into any with expectations~but instead with an occasional good deal find...which contributes to a good cause.
Mzours
Chathamite

Last Login:January 10, 2018, 12:34:28 PM
Date Registerd:June 29, 2006, 08:47:30 PM

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:33:43 AM »

How about them sending their customers next door to Piggly Wiggly to use the bathroom?  That's just rude, IMO...
SlowEasy
Chathamite

Last Login:February 02, 2017, 05:45:14 PM
Date Registerd:November 04, 2011, 10:31:06 PM

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »

Hmm That is an interesting thought 60-two. Makes you wonder about non-profits in general, but I don't think the Pittsboro store would be doing that kind of thing.  I know my dad donated a farm tractor to another non-profit in Chatham County about twenty-five years ago.  When I was at that non-profit business earlier this year I asked if that farm tractor was still around that our family had when I was a teenager.  They said it was and directed me to it. When we got inside their barn, another type of tractor was there in it's place.  I said that wasn't the same one we brought over. They told me that was the one that my dad donated, but it wasn't. I described what it looked like and they said they didn't know what I was talking about. I wished I had pictures of it to show them at the time.

Hmm makes you wonder what is really going on behind the scenes with non-profits when they receive money and things.  As for the higher prices I think they should raise them.  Gives me and other local business a better chance to sell items for what they are really worth below retail prices.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:48:59 PM by SlowEasy, Reason: grammer » Logged

All post from this day forward are from Daniel from Auto Fashions in North Chatham County of Pittsboro NC. 919-542-5566. website Link under my profile
(I Purchased June's computer on Sept 22. 2014)
taxed

Last Login:January 03, 2018, 11:28:39 AM
Date Registerd:October 03, 2012, 12:44:34 PM

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 11:28:39 AM »

I wanted to buy a dress for a job interview the mgr marked the dress for $12 I only had $9.  I begged her to reduce the price for me and she flat out refused and thanks to a very nice man who saw me crying gave me the extra money.  I used to shop there all the time but REFUSE to now.  I take my donations to the FREE BOX at the dump and maybe someone who NEEDS HELP can find something there they can afford.  I wont shop at PTA Pittsboro ever again!!!
natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 12:18:07 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »

I rarely go into the PBO thrift anymore, but recently in area stopped in. Spied a bag of potting soil I thought was $5 and knew @ Lowe's etc. would be like $9 so thought I'd buy it.
Bent over to pick it up and the bag uncreased to show that they had it priced for $15 Huh Shocked laugh angry
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: