Chatham County Online BBS
December 18, 2014, 02:27:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Find a local business! Visit the Chatham Business Directory

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pittsboro Family on Dr. Phil show this Friday.  (Read 7264 times)
Snowball
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »

Sometimes Dr. Phil is over the top, but today's show may prove to be a real help to the family. I hope the intervention works for the sake of all.
Everett McGill
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 08, 2014, 12:45:38 PM
Date Registerd:November 11, 2008, 09:20:58 AM

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »

Folks, I started this thread not knowing much.  I am home today and was able to watch the broadcast.  And, after watching it would like to share.

First, the show did not portray the family or our community in an unflattering way. The family's home location was never revealed.  They even blurred out the Sheriff's car logo so you would not see "Chatham County".    However, it was not sugar coated.

There were heart-wrenching interactions between the family members that, were at times, painful to watch.  The family is suffering. The family needs and has accepted the help that was offered.  Extraordinary help.  Sometimes life presents us with situations and circumstances we are ill equipped to handle. (Financially, emotionally, intellectually, spiritually etc.)  The dysfunctional interactions shown did not happen overnight and most certainly came about following a series of imperfect decisions on everyone's part.  They made their own mess and the parents made the decision to reach out.    Dr. Phil was kind, but, firm and direct.

imho, it was a good thing, overall, for them to appear on this show and have this experience.  There is hope. The actions taken will increase the probability for things to work out.  My thoughts and prayers are with the whole family, and with us as a community.  When they return, hopefully, they all can be received in a positive way by friends, family,  neighbors, coworkers, employers, and in the young ladies' case her teachers and classmates.

Personally, I need to retract something I said earlier.  If this kind of result is possible, Dr. Phil does not need to go away.  Frankly, it's too bad more families that need help will never get it without something like this being available to/for them.  Again, just mho.   Your mileage may vary.

As Craig Ferguson says every night: "It's a great day for America everyone!"

You humans, most of you, subscribe to this policy of an eye for an eye, a life for a life, which is known throughout the universe for its… stupidity. Even your Buddha and your Christ had quite a different vision; but nobody's paid much attention, not even Buddhists or Christians.--prot (K-Pax)
whatsup
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 10, 2014, 08:20:53 PM
Date Registerd:March 02, 2006, 12:56:39 AM

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »

Everett -

thanks for the feedback. I pray that things turn out well for the entire family.

Found the following about this episode at http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/2023

"Our Worst Nightmare"

Tracy says she was recently named Teacher of the Year at work, but she says she’s failing as a parent at home. She says for almost two years, she’s been living in constant fear of her 17-year-old daughter, Callie.

“Callie went from a sweet, loving daughter to a vicious, vicious person,” Tracy says.

“Callie went from someone we could be proud of, an all-American dream,  to our worst nightmare,” Tracy’s husband, Clint, adds.

They say that when Callie snaps, she becomes verbally and physically abusive — and they have the shocking video to prove it. The coupe says Callie slams doors, knocks holes in walls, attacks them and calls everyone names, including her 11-year-old brother. Clint and Tracy say they’ve called the police on her six times — including one time, when Tracy says a fight got so out of hand, Callie broke her nose and gave her two black eyes. On separate occasions, the couple says Callie climbed on their gazebo and tried to break into her own room, refused to go to school, and was detained for trespassing and drinking with boys.

“We are afraid in our own house,” Clint says.

The concerned parents say the teen is also sneaking out of the house at all hours to meet up with older men.

“We’ve confronted one guy three or four times. We tell him that he needs to live his adult life and let Callie live her teenage life,” Clint says.

“She’s going to make one mistake too many,” Tracy says. “We don’t know how to help her. She seems to thrive on the drama of it all.”

If your main goal is to show that your heart is in the right place, then your heart is not in the right place. - philosopher David Schmidtz
jlyoung

Last Login:December 16, 2014, 09:32:04 PM
Date Registerd:August 24, 2007, 02:57:51 PM

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 10:19:43 AM »

In my opinion (and experience) when a teenager is this out of control it is a cry for help.  From what I saw on the show, the parents seemed very calm, rational people.  Sometimes when you watch these shows about out of control teens you almost understand why they're messed up after you see the parents!  I think this family has hope.  I have hope for them, at least!  I hope they do a follow up show and and have a great success to share with us.
Muddylaces
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 01:45:30 PM
Date Registerd:December 26, 2007, 09:46:35 AM

The only AAA Chatham will have.

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »

Funny thing is I think I was a little harder on my kids yesterday because this was on my mind.  My kids are pretty good but when my daughter didn't quite do what my wife said right away I'll let her know that it was unacceptable.   My kids aren't teenagers yet as much as my 10 yearold thinks she is.

You don't change kayaks in the middle of the Haw. Return Bock-Stewart-Petty
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 02:11:23 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 09:27:19 PM

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:40 AM »

First a preface... whatsup, this is not meant as a rebuke to your post.

What concerns me generally about the "dr. phil" effect and specifically as pertains to this family is the lasting effect of a very public airing of their dirty laundry. Every family has some dysfunction, everyone experiences problems. We all go through rough times where we need to sort things out - sometimes involving others to help us find clarity. This process won't happen with a studio audience. It won't be hastened with a microphone-wielding schlub probing you for emotional weak-spots that he can exploit for personal gain.

Years ago my sister and her family were lured to one of these shows (not dr. phil) under similar pretense of "getting the kids back on track". It was a set-up that humiliated my sister, mortified my parents, and shamed the rest of our family. It did nothing positive and actually served to encourage more outlandish misbehavior from the kids, ultimately resulting in the death of my young niece.

These people (IMO) need guidance not notoriety. They will not be aided by appearing on that hack's television show. I pray that they find the help that they need.

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
Everett McGill
Chathamohican

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »

First a preface... whatsup, this is not meant as a rebuke to your post.

What concerns me generally about the "dr. phil" effect and specifically as pertains to this family is the lasting effect of a very public airing of their dirty laundry. Every family has some dysfunction, everyone experiences problems. We all go through rough times where we need to sort things out - sometimes involving others to help us find clarity. This process won't happen with a studio audience. It won't be hastened with a microphone-wielding schlub probing you for emotional weak-spots that he can exploit for personal gain.

Years ago my sister and her family were lured to one of these shows (not dr. phil) under similar pretense of "getting the kids back on track". It was a set-up that humiliated my sister, mortified my parents, and shamed the rest of our family. It did nothing positive and actually served to encourage more outlandish misbehavior from the kids, ultimately resulting in the death of my young niece.

These people (IMO) need guidance not notoriety. They will not be aided by appearing on that hack's television show. I pray that they find the help that they need.

Axe man,  First and most importantly, sorry to hear about that very personal experience.

I totally agree about folks like this needing guidance not notoriety.  Not sure if guidance alone could make the difference here, or how they could have achieved getting some real immediate help.  Personally, I have been given a lot of guidance in how to care for my aging and disabled father, but the guidance does not pay for most of the things to be done, once guided there.   Sometimes it takes a lot of money to parachute in to a high level treatment center.  Money everyone does not have, and if you have insurance, it is not covered.  dunno in this case.    If (and if is very much the case, cause I don't know) If, they are being sent to a recognized and effective organization, on the Dr. Phil show's dime, it might work out for them.  Certainly there is much more to this story and many folks that know them have probably seen the train coming, at full speed, for some time.

In this case, we as a community, and all family members (moms,dads, inlaws, outlaws etc.)  involved are responsible for how they are treated going forward.  When they come back, if they are shamed and humiliated, imho, that would be more on us than them.

You humans, most of you, subscribe to this policy of an eye for an eye, a life for a life, which is known throughout the universe for its… stupidity. Even your Buddha and your Christ had quite a different vision; but nobody's paid much attention, not even Buddhists or Christians.--prot (K-Pax)
Muddylaces
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 01:45:30 PM
Date Registerd:December 26, 2007, 09:46:35 AM

The only AAA Chatham will have.

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »

I heard that the Dr. Phil's show is paying for some kind of camp in Utah for Callie.   If true my guess is it is probably something the family could not afford on their own.   Assuming it "fixes" her, I think they need to move.   She's going to go around town with a Scarlett letter.  Not to mention that predators in the area are going to be looking at her as an easy mark.

You don't change kayaks in the middle of the Haw. Return Bock-Stewart-Petty
Everett McGill
Chathamohican

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »

I heard that the Dr. Phil's show is paying for some kind of camp in Utah for Callie.   If true my guess is it is probably something the family could not afford on their own.   Assuming it "fixes" her, I think they need to move.   She's going to go around town with a Scarlett letter.  Not to mention that predators in the area are going to be looking at her as an easy mark.

I think the show mentioned Idaho.  And, I thought the parents were going to the same place.   Let me look into that (I got way too much time on my hands today-I need to get outside!)

Everett McGill
Chathamohican

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 11:20:51 AM »

I think the show mentioned Idaho.  And, I thought the parents were going to the same place.   Let me look into that (I got way too much time on my hands today-I need to get outside!)

yep, Idaho.  From the show transcript:  Dr. Phil offers to send Callie to a wilderness program in Idaho called SUWS.

Everett McGill
Chathamohican

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »

I heard that the Dr. Phil's show is paying for some kind of camp in Utah for Callie.   If true my guess is it is probably something the family could not afford on their own.   Assuming it "fixes" her, I think they need to move.   She's going to go around town with a Scarlett letter.  Not to mention that predators in the area are going to be looking at her as an easy mark.

I think the show mentioned Idaho.  And, I thought the parents were going to the same place.   Let me look into that (I got way too much time on my hands today-I need to get outside!)

yep, Idaho.  From the show transcript:  Dr. Phil offers to send Callie to a wilderness program in Idaho called SUWS.

5 days to make life changes.  Pretty tall order.  However, there is a 28 day program for youth.  Not sure which or combination of both they are doing.  http://suwsidaho.crchealth.com/suws-articles/wilderness-program-family-camp/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:26:10 AM by Everett McGill » Logged

jlyoung

Last Login:December 16, 2014, 09:32:04 PM
Date Registerd:August 24, 2007, 02:57:51 PM

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »

Axiomatic, thank you for bringing your very personal experience to the discussion.  I'm sorry your family lost a member. 

I would like for you to consider the possibility that this was a last ditch effort by two helpless/frustrated/worried parents who desperately want to heal their family.  I do not judge them unfavorably at all for going on Dr. Phil.  I understand being so worried and out of options that a hand extended from Dr. Phil would seem like a life raft.

My hope for this family is that they come back to an understanding and supportive community.
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 02:11:23 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 09:27:19 PM

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »

Axiomatic, thank you for bringing your very personal experience to the discussion.  I'm sorry your family lost a member. 

I would like for you to consider the possibility that this was a last ditch effort by two helpless/frustrated/worried parents who desperately want to heal their family.  I do not judge them unfavorably at all for going on Dr. Phil.  I understand being so worried and out of options that a hand extended from Dr. Phil would seem like a life raft.

My hope for this family is that they come back to an understanding and supportive community.

I understand desperation, yes. thank you for your kind words.

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
zorro
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 02, 2014, 11:07:29 AM
Date Registerd:June 09, 2007, 08:29:22 PM

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 07:56:43 AM »

Does anyone now how things turned out?

What's the current situation?

I defend the people of the land against tyrannical governors and other villains and bumbling authorities.
Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: