Chatham County Online BBS
March 26, 2017, 06:17:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read the best Chatlist posts at Chatham Chatlist Highlights

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: HS - Bynum General Store to drop postal service  (Read 15220 times)
Gene Galin
Administrator
Chathamohican

Last Login:March 24, 2017, 09:35:02 AM
Date Registerd:February 06, 2006, 01:00:00 AM

« on: February 07, 2006, 09:19:11 AM »

Bynum General Store to drop postal service

http://www.heraldsun.com/chatham/13-696213.html

BY JENNIFER FERRIS : The Herald-Sun
jferris@heraldsun.com
Jan 31, 2006 : 7:57 pm ET

BYNUM -- In a time when most everything in northern Chatham County has started to grow, tucked into the curve of the Haw River is a sleepy little country store that has been left behind by the trend. Soon it may be left behind for good.

In 1936, the Bynum General Store opened for business as the Williams' Store and was one of five emporiums that brought dry goods and groceries to the rapidly growing population of the small mill town.

Over the years, the store changed names and hands, but remained a fixture for area residents. After the local post office closed in 1970, the Harris family added post office boxes to the eastern wall of the shop and soon found they were the center of town activity.

Now the owner of the store -- Jerry Partin -- says he doesn't know if the Bynum General Store will remain open past the end of March.

Several months ago Partin made the decision to drop the postal service -- the yearly payment from the postal service of $6,500 isn't enough to warrant the effort, he said.

The 105 post office box customers will be forced to move, but Partin said he's not sure what the new solution will be. Most likely the postal service will build a mail kiosk either at the Bynum Ruritan Club on Charlie Fields Road or near the softball field.

Partin may soon face yet another difficult decision: whether or not to close the store entirely.

A robbery last year cleared the store out of $2,000 of merchandise, and now, Partin said, his insurance company is refusing to cover the store. If he can't find a company to provide at least liability insurance, he will be forced to close his doors forever.

"Right now, I'm just totally in limbo," Partin said. "If I can't get insurance, then there's no way I can stay open."

At one time, every Bynum resident was required to have a post office box, but through the years many have begun to receive their mail at curbside boxes at their homes.

However, those curbside customers now have Pittsboro addresses. For some longtime residents, receiving mail at a Bynum address is a point of pride, and the only way to do that is to have it delivered to a Bynum post office box -- at the general store.

When Partin took over the store 10 years ago, he said there weren't enough post office boxes to go around, and families often had to share boxes with their neighbors.

Every few minutes a customer would walk in to mail a letter or buy a quart of milk, and the store was always a bustling hive of energy.

But Tuesday afternoon Partin sat alone in the store, quietly stocking the old wood stove that provides the small shop with both heat and a homey ambience.

When the state Department of Transportation closed a small bridge over the Haw River that connected the two halves of Bynum five years ago, business went down significantly, Partin said.

Shortly thereafter, he created a concert series to help lure more customers to the store, and while the concerts have drawn up to 700 people, the live music nights have never been enough to sustain business during the week.

Now he has less than 30 customers a day, he said, and most spend only a few dollars. He hasn't lost much money on the business, but said he expects that to change as well after the post office is gone.

"Used to be a tie when the store supported the post office," he said. "Now the post office supports the store."

But while the post office might provide one of the store's most significant sources of revenue, Partin said he's just not willing anymore to do the amount of work required to comply with the postal service's regulations.

He must stay open certain hours and remain bonded so he can handle money orders. Twice a day he fills the tiny mail slots and he has to keep detailed logs and reports on stamp sales and inventory.

All that adds up to a commitment he's not willing to make anymore, he said.

However, he will try his best to keep the store open as long as he can.

When asked why he would trouble himself with something he says is a losing proposition, he speaks wistfully about his happy childhood.

"I grew up here and I used to catch the bus at this store," he said. "Back then Bynum was so full of kids they had to send the largest school bus in the county. Back then they had a big potbelly stove sitting in the middle of the store and we'd come in and warm up before going back outside to play marbles.

"It's home and I'd like to keep it that way."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 11:32:39 PM by Gene Galin » Logged

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:March 24, 2017, 11:28:35 AM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 03:52:41 PM

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »

Can you believe it?  Cool
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:11 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 12:53:20 PM

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:19:59 PM »

Sad,places like that are soon going to be nothing more than memories.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
mary51802
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 03:09:07 PM
Date Registerd:July 05, 2008, 04:58:25 PM

we are all beautiful

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:12:05 PM »

It is sad, I wonder why they did not put up signs about historical Bynum to draw people in from 15-501. I lived across from it for 5 years before I knew it was there.

He who p*isses into the wind is all wet....................
natvrabit
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 04:15:13 PM
Date Registerd:March 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »

Yep, no more postal station at Pope's either Sad

DC
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »

It is sad, I wonder why they did not put up signs about historical Bynum to draw people in from 15-501. I lived across from it for 5 years before I knew it was there.

FWIW this battle was with Ellie Kinnaird. She was approached directly about putting a big green sign on 15-501 from each direction saying post office. She asked and the response was "not for private business". When the obvious and massive Governor's Club signs were pointed out she was non-plussed and ignored it. Hackney then was approached and got a microscopic green sign facing one direction. SOme help that was.
mary51802
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 03:09:07 PM
Date Registerd:July 05, 2008, 04:58:25 PM

we are all beautiful

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 07:02:56 AM »

Never knew that. They should have helped keep the town alive because of its rich history by some historical sign too.

He who p*isses into the wind is all wet....................
DC
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »

Bynum died because our local politicians put almost zero effort into keeping the road open and the post office open. Those are government functions. Add to this the refusal of the store's owners to allow alcob sales and music was bound to remain a mere lifeline for the community. At the town meeti.g on the bridge which officials bothered to show? My memory ks zero. If they were there they kept a low profile.
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:March 24, 2017, 11:28:35 AM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 03:52:41 PM

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »

Bynum is still alive, don't believe the rumors.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: