Chatham County Online BBS
December 18, 2017, 08:01:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Before you go out to eat check out the Local Restaurant Reviews

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Equifax cyborattack not getting the news media it deserves ~ much worse  (Read 1741 times)
Wilderness Voice
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 10, 2017, 03:33:05 PM
Date Registerd:May 06, 2009, 09:32:07 PM

« on: September 08, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/equifax-cyberattack-triggers-class-action-lawsuit/ar-AArvSTX?ocid=ob-tw-enus-677

My wife and I checked with Equifax, we are on the list that they can 'not' guarantee our info was stolen.  That would be your SS#, DOB, DL# and current and past addresses.  Equifax is giving free credit security checks for one year, but check the fine print, you might be signing a waiver for the class action lawsuit that has been filed against them.  This hack could include half the population in the US.  I would advise people to to contact Equifax
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:49:26 PM by Wilderness Voice » Logged
Wilderness Voice
Chathamohican

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 03:51:25 PM »

I'm just putting this out there because so much other news is all going on at the same time, but I don't think the general public is aware how devastating this could be with identity theft
Wilderness Voice
Chathamohican

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »

North Carolina joins nationwide Equifax investigation

http://abc11.com/business/north-carolina-joins-nationwide-equifax-investigation/2408357/
Wilderness Voice
Chathamohican

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:35:01 PM »

Equifax's chief information officer and chief security officer are out

Last week, the credit monitoring firm said that a security breach may have exposed the personal data of up to 143 million Americans. Vulnerable information includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and some driver's license numbers.
Equifax is now under investigation by the FBI and the Federal Trade Commission. The state attorney general of Massachusetts has said she intends to sue the company. Class action suits are also pouring in.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/15/news/equifax-top-executives-retiring/index.html
Wilderness Voice
Chathamohican

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 08:42:48 PM »

Help, I can't put a security freeze on my credit!

If you don't have success trying to freeze your credit online, try calling. People have reported success when they call all three agencies.

The best advice is to keep trying and don't give up.

Putting a freeze on your credit will protect you from thieves trying to use your good name to open credit. Also, be leery of any calls or emails you get from someone saying they will help you when it comes to the Equifax hack.

Do not provide any personal information over the phone or via email unless you initiate the contact and are sure you're dealing with the actual company.

http://abc11.com/technology/help-i-cant-put-a-security-freeze-on-my-credit/2420627/
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 16, 2017, 03:41:08 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »

"They" had already gotten to my Visa card just before the news came out.  Luckily for me, Visa caught it and issued me a new card.  When the statement arrived, the thefts appeared to have been done by Russian names trying to wire money.

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Patty52
Chathameister

Last Login:December 15, 2017, 03:40:59 PM
Date Registerd:August 27, 2008, 07:21:41 PM

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »

"They" had already gotten to my Visa card just before the news came out.  Luckily for me, Visa caught it and issued me a new card.  When the statement arrived, the thefts appeared to have been done by Russian names trying to wire money.

I think that this points out one important way that you avoid credit theft. We have had our main Visa card through a mid-size bank for about 15 years. During that time, they have called maybe as many as ten times after flagging a transaction as suspicious. Sometimes it is not - my husband bought a pair of shoes and decided he liked them so much he went back two hours later and bought another pair exactly the same, which triggered the "Is the store is trying to double charge" flag, so he just said no, charge is good. But, several times they were fraudulent and the bank sent new cards overnight, so very little break in service. My point here is that the profile that the bank does of your credit use actually can help you and the longer you have an account with them, the better the profile can be.

That said, I think that Russian names and wiring money would set off fireworks at any financial institution!

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?
ncnative
Chathamite

Last Login:September 16, 2017, 05:17:23 PM
Date Registerd:August 24, 2009, 11:26:03 AM

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »

Help, I can't put a security freeze on my credit!

If you don't have success trying to freeze your credit online, try calling. People have reported success when they call all three agencies.

The best advice is to keep trying and don't give up.

Putting a freeze on your credit will protect you from thieves trying to use your good name to open credit. Also, be leery of any calls or emails you get from someone saying they will help you when it comes to the Equifax hack.

Do not provide any personal information over the phone or via email unless you initiate the contact and are sure you're dealing with the actual company.

http://abc11.com/technology/help-i-cant-put-a-security-freeze-on-my-credit/2420627/

seeing that it was a cyber attack I dare not go put in my  info. online at any of them , calling will be the only way to go and the only way I've dealt with them in the past.
Now that's not to say our info. was not compromised anywhere else  in  their database  but why risk it further ?
Am just not sure but will not input any info. online for sure.
Not too long ago I called to get my free credit report from  Equifax and it never arrived.
I called after weeks of not receiving it and  they swore  it was sent to me .... guess someone else ended up with it. ( maybe  put in the wrong mailbox at the p.o. ) 
   Had to do a credit freeze then but was only for 90 days I think...here we go again.  Upside the head Upside the head
Now am seeing the below  online about the incident , good gosh. 
" And Equifax admitted it was aware of the security flaw a full two months before the company says hackers first gained accessed to its data."
No EXCUSE for this mess !
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: