Chatham County Online BBS
December 12, 2017, 06:28:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: View 1000s of full-color action-filled local sports images at Chatham Photos

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oakleaf moving  (Read 1875 times)
blondesnooper

Last Login:September 13, 2017, 07:48:10 AM
Date Registerd:June 13, 2007, 02:36:25 PM

« on: August 10, 2017, 07:02:57 AM »

Let me preface this with the statement that I support the rights of property owners. If it is mine I want to control what happens.

That said, I heard that Oakleaf is moving to Carrboro due to a jump in rent. They got an extension through this year and will be pulling out in 2018. Word is that the rent doubled. I hate to see this restaurant leave Pittsboro. It drew folks to town who probably would not have come anyway.It was a boost to the area to have such fine dining in Pittsboro. Most businesses want that Chapel Hill address even though they are not even close to CH. Guess one will have to travel to other cities again to celebrate big events.

At least, I am finally seeing work being done at the new Postal Fish restaurant. Perhaps it can fill the void.
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 05, 2017, 05:31:15 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »

Where is the Postal Fish restaurant?

Also, I can't imagine very many other establishments being able to afford that.  If Oakleaf can't, then who possible could?  Shortsighted move on the part of the landlords.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Patty52
Chathameister

Last Login:December 04, 2017, 07:21:52 PM
Date Registerd:August 27, 2008, 07:21:41 PM

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »

I have not heard that about Oakleaf. That would be very sad.

Postal Fish Company is the restaurant that is going into the old Pittsboro post office, across W. Salisbury Street from where the new Pittsboro Town Hall will be: http://www.postalfishcompany.com/ I love that old building, so it has been great to see the slow, steady refurbishment going on there.

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?
Bill Crawford
Chathamite

Last Login:September 21, 2017, 05:33:05 PM
Date Registerd:September 26, 2008, 01:53:33 PM

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »

It may not be a greedy landlord at play with the Oakleaf. Many restaurants in positions like that get leases with rent discounts the first year, as incentive to self-fund capital outlays needed to make it functional and Board Of Health compliant. It may be that the ensuing increase was simply something their income stream wasn't up to handling.

They might not have been growing to a level they anticipated when they signed on. I didn't eat there often, but there were a couple of times I wondered how the covers they were getting were covering their rent and expenses.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:58:13 AM by Bill Crawford » Logged
Patty52
Chathameister

Last Login:December 04, 2017, 07:21:52 PM
Date Registerd:August 27, 2008, 07:21:41 PM

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »

So here is the official announcement and moving dates. Sigh...

This fine-dining restaurant is trading its old home for downtown Carrboro
By Drew Jackson

September 19, 2017 11:42 AM
PITTSBORO

Oakleaf, one of the Triangle dining scene’s most far-flung stars, is on the move.

The 5-year-old fine-dining restaurant will leave behind its elegant light-drenched dining room in the old Chatham Mills in Pittsboro and make its new home on Main Street in Carrboro, in the same building as the Cat’s Cradle music venue.

Chef Brendan Cox, who owns Oakleaf with his wife, Leslie, said the new space will have more room for a bar and lounge area, outdoor dining and a place for private events.

“The move to Carrboro will be Oakleaf’s forever home,” Cox said.

Oakleaf focuses on seasonal ingredients and updates its menu daily, typically with influences from France and Italy built around the produce of North Carolina. When the restaurant first opened, News & Observer dining critic Greg Cox gave Oakleaf four and half stars and named it the best restaurant in the Triangle in 2013, alongside Yamasushi.

The last dinner service in Pittsboro will be Saturday, Nov. 25, with Cox expecting to open on 300 East Main St. in Carrboro in early February 2018.

In between closing in Pittsboro and opening in Carrboro, Oakleaf’s food will still exist, moonlighting with dinner service in Alberello, the Italian market and deli the Coxes’ other restaurant. Alberello is at 72 Chapelton Court in Chapel Hill, north of Fearrington Village, or a 15-minute drive from Oakleaf’s location. (Greg Cox gave Alberello four stars earlier this year.)

Cox calls it “Oakleaf in residence.”

“At lunch time it will be Alberello, and at dinner time we’ll flip it and serve Oakleaf food by Oak Leaf staff,” Cox said. “We wanted to keep Oakleaf going in the interim so (the staff) wasn’t left in the lurch.”

The original Oakleaf lease was signed for five and a half years in the Chatham Mills space, with the plan being an eventual move into the coming Chatham Park development in the next few years, Cox said. Talks of an interim lease were unsuccessful, and Cox said it was uncertain when Oakleaf might be able to move into Chatham Park, which led him to search elsewhere. When he looked at Carrboro he stopped looking.

“There’s this feeling of momentum in Carrboro, especially for food,” Cox said, pointing to major openings like Pizzeria Mercato. Pizzeria Mercato is owned by Chef Gabe Barker, who was named a James Beard Award semifinalist this year for Rising Star Chef, which is awarded to a chef 30 years old or younger.

“It’s the place to be, and it’s really becoming a hub for quality food and we want to get there and be a part of that,” Cox said.

Oakleaf’s biggest challenge was convincing Triangle diners to drive upwards of an hour to its Pittsboro dining room, Cox said, with Saturdays typically very busy, but weekday service much quieter. The Carrboro Oakleaf will be open seven days a week and serve Saturday and Sunday brunch and likely see a greater focus on vegetable-based dishes, Cox said.

But Oakleaf will still be Oakleaf, he said.

“When we opened Oakleaf, we were going for understated elegance,” Cox said. “It will still be our food. We’re not going to change from who we are.”

Drew Jackson; 919-829-4707; @jdrewjackson

Read more here: http://www.heraldsun.com/living/food-drink/article174115801.html#storylink=cpy

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 05, 2017, 05:31:15 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »

While I understand why they have to move, I find this depressing. It was cool to have a REALLY nice restaurant in Pittsboro.

I've had some absolutely amazing meals there. Especially when I chose the tasting menu. It was worth every penny each and every time.

I wish them the best. But they will be missed. Sad

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: