Chatham County Online BBS
August 24, 2017, 01:48:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oakleaf moving  (Read 736 times)
blondesnooper

Last Login:August 14, 2017, 08:09:39 AM
Date Registerd:June 13, 2007, 02:36:25 PM

« on: August 10, 2017, 07:02:57 AM »

Let me preface this with the statement that I support the rights of property owners. If it is mine I want to control what happens.

That said, I heard that Oakleaf is moving to Carrboro due to a jump in rent. They got an extension through this year and will be pulling out in 2018. Word is that the rent doubled. I hate to see this restaurant leave Pittsboro. It drew folks to town who probably would not have come anyway.It was a boost to the area to have such fine dining in Pittsboro. Most businesses want that Chapel Hill address even though they are not even close to CH. Guess one will have to travel to other cities again to celebrate big events.

At least, I am finally seeing work being done at the new Postal Fish restaurant. Perhaps it can fill the void.
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 06:54:50 AM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »

Where is the Postal Fish restaurant?

Also, I can't imagine very many other establishments being able to afford that.  If Oakleaf can't, then who possible could?  Shortsighted move on the part of the landlords.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Patty52
Chathameister

Last Login:August 21, 2017, 11:42:32 PM
Date Registerd:August 27, 2008, 07:21:41 PM

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »

I have not heard that about Oakleaf. That would be very sad.

Postal Fish Company is the restaurant that is going into the old Pittsboro post office, across W. Salisbury Street from where the new Pittsboro Town Hall will be: http://www.postalfishcompany.com/ I love that old building, so it has been great to see the slow, steady refurbishment going on there.

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?
Bill Crawford
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 12:50:15 PM
Date Registerd:September 26, 2008, 01:53:33 PM

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:04:11 AM »

It may not be a greedy landlord at play with the Oakleaf. Many restaurants in positions like that get leases with rent discounts the first year, as incentive to self-fund capital outlays needed to make it functional and Board Of Health compliant. It may be that the ensuing increase was simply something their income stream wasn't up to handling.

They might not have been growing to a level they anticipated when they signed on. I didn't eat there often, but there were a couple of times I wondered how the covers they were getting were covering their rent and expenses.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:58:13 AM by Bill Crawford » Logged
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: