Chatham County Online BBS
October 20, 2014, 12:24:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: It's very clear that Pittsboro Matters lacks popular support in Chatham County  (Read 3094 times)
zorro
Chathamohican

Last Login:October 17, 2014, 07:48:02 AM
Date Registerd:June 09, 2007, 09:29:22 PM

« on: February 07, 2014, 12:26:50 AM »

Pittsboro Matters lacks popular support in Chatham County

After Donna Bianca came out with her Pittsboro Matters, Does it really? post on the Chatham Chatlist more people are coming out to let us all know that the Pittsboro Matters group lacks popular support. Hopefully more people will come out and voice their opinions.

From the comment section at
http://chathamchatlist.com/highlights/2014/01/30/pittsboro-matters-claims-25-flaws-chatham-park/comment-page-1/#comment-8023

Gregory Bays // Jan 31, 2014 at 3:39 pm

It sounds like the only development plan PittsboroMatters could support is a barbed wire fence around the city to keep out any new development. The conspiracy theories about foreign corporations seeking to ravage our lands shows a basic distrust of all non-locals. These are the same people who opposed Lowes, McDonalds and anything bearing a corporate logo.

They fail to note positive developments like the new UNC medical facility opened in Polk Place. The day care center for working parents under construction also gets no mention. Oversight? Probably not.

Itís easy to make comparisons to totally unrelated developments to drum up fear that Catham Park might fail. Does anyone in PittsboroMatters have any real experience in development projects like this? Probably not.

Itís time for individuals, like myself, who support Chatham Park to voice their opinions. It would be tragic if a small goup of individuals denied our city an opportunity to become a better place to live.

I defend the people of the land against tyrannical governors and other villains and bumbling authorities.
mary51802
Chathamohican

Last Login:September 17, 2014, 11:13:58 AM
Date Registerd:July 05, 2008, 05:58:25 PM

we are all beautiful

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 07:57:34 AM »

I thought Donna took a very brave stance and was very eloquent in her post.

She made many valid points about small businesses gaining and growing from new growth and more population and how they would continue to struggle as the local population ages and young people leave. Growth is the part of any area and it would be better if the Pittsboro Matters folks would find a way to work with the developers. They are a small faction at best.

He who p*isses into the wind is all wet....................
oakrunfarm
Chathameister

Last Login:October 06, 2014, 08:24:56 PM
Date Registerd:January 26, 2007, 07:14:27 PM

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »

"It's very clear that Pittsboro Matters lacks popular support in Chatham County"

Oh, really? Was there some extensive poll indicating that? Or are you making this blanket statement based on a few comments on a message/chat board?

If that's the case, I could just as easily say, "It's very clear that Pittsboro Matters has popular support in Chatham County." (And, no, I am not a part of that group.)

I agree it's very important we all discuss the pros and cons and I welcome that discussion. People can make up their own minds about how they want this to play out and choose their level of involvement in it without taking potshots at those with opposing views.
zorro
Chathamohican

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 03:41:33 AM »

Extensive polling? Sure. All the available polls show that Pittsboro Matters lacks popular support in Chatham County.

I defend the people of the land against tyrannical governors and other villains and bumbling authorities.
zorro
Chathamohican

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:12:48 AM »

The tide has turned against Pittsboro Matters. Their trolls will keep trolling, they will keep harassing Pittsboro town members, but they don't have the support of the people of Chatham County.

Gregory Bays // Jan 31, 2014 at 3:39 pm

It sounds like the only development plan PittsboroMatters could support is a barbed wire fence around the city to keep out any new development. The conspiracy theories about foreign corporations seeking to ravage our lands shows a basic distrust of all non-locals. These are the same people who opposed Lowes, McDonalds and anything bearing a corporate logo.

They fail to note positive developments like the new UNC medical facility opened in Polk Place. The day care center for working parents under construction also gets no mention. Oversight? Probably not.

Itís easy to make comparisons to totally unrelated developments to drum up fear that Catham Park might fail. Does anyone in PittsboroMatters have any real experience in development projects like this? Probably not.

Itís time for individuals, like myself, who support Chatham Park to voice their opinions. It would be tragic if a small goup of individuals denied our city an opportunity to become a better place to live.

Grumble69
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »

I've said it once and I'll say it again--I simply do not want Pittsboro to become a town of 60K with a dense population.  And no, I'm not a member of Pittsboro Matters.

I realize there are a lot of benefits that come with a large city.  And I do admit that a nearby hospital would be nice.  It was one of several factors I weighed when moving out here (something in the "con column").  But at the end of the day, the "pros" of living in a small town outweighed the "cons".  If I wanted what a big town had to offer, I would have settled there instead.
Bill Crawford
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 10:03:55 PM
Date Registerd:September 26, 2008, 02:53:33 PM

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 01:45:13 PM »

You may not "want" it, but it is coming. If you wanted to stop it, 2007 was probably a better time to try. If you wonder why you weren't warned by all the people raising questions now, start with the ones who knew what this was early on. Like George Lucier, or Sally Kost.

Pittsboro Matters does have a decent sized following, because many share your concern over the size of this project and how that will affect Chatham. That doesn't mean that trying to get the developers to play Sim City with you is going to get you anywhere at this point.

We should be thinking more realistically. How do we maintain the best part of whatever control we do have and how can we set ourselves to reap the benfits and put them to good use for the long range future of Pittsboro?

The longer we keep listening to Starkweather and his 'we are all smart people and we can do this better' stuff, the worse our situation will be at the end of the road.

Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 01:03:20 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 11:12:40 AM

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:24:32 PM »

You may not "want" it, but it is coming. If you wanted to stop it, 2007 was probably a better time to try. If you wonder why you weren't warned by all the people raising questions now, start with the ones who knew what this was early on. Like George Lucier, or Sally Kost.

There was one particular fellow that is or was part of that cabal.  I heard Goodnight bought some land from him at a very generous price, which allowed said fellow to clear some debts.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
zorro
Chathamohican

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »

I've said it once and I'll say it again--I simply do not want Pittsboro to become a town of 60K with a dense population.  And no, I'm not a member of Pittsboro Matters.

I realize there are a lot of benefits that come with a large city.  And I do admit that a nearby hospital would be nice.  It was one of several factors I weighed when moving out here (something in the "con column").  But at the end of the day, the "pros" of living in a small town outweighed the "cons".  If I wanted what a big town had to offer, I would have settled there instead.

LARGE CITY? Let get real.

Chatham Park would be the size of Chapel Hill. LARGE city indeed.  Upside the head

Chapel Hill
Town in North Carolina
Chapel Hill is a town in Orange County, North Carolina, and the home of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Health Care. Wikipedia
Founded: 1793
Weather: 54įF (12įC), Wind W at 2 mph (3 km/h), 56% Humidity
Population: 58,424 (2012)

chickham

Last Login:August 12, 2014, 08:34:53 PM
Date Registerd:March 30, 2012, 09:20:03 AM

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »

People who go against any Pittsboro development are ignoring reality and already make Chatham 50+ years behind. But if you look at the maps, Pittsboro is isolated from major cities like Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex and others. They are not close to Pittsboro. You need special shops (like Ikea, Costco, major outlet, etc) to attract people from Orange, Wake and Durham, it is not a short drive. The Chatham Park is a good start, then most development should be between Chatham Park and the Orange, Wake, and Durham counties. Major roads will need to be built to connect them all. Then the development will naturally flow into Pittsboro and other Chatham cities and no one will be able to stop it. I do know that there are "few" people who try everything to like in rural environment, but Pittsboro should not be a rural area because it is one of the major cities in Chatham. Pittsboro should be as well developed as Chapel Hill, Durham, Cary or Raleigh. I am happy that Sally is gone, let's elect someone who can bring business, jobs, services, and understand this world. My 2 cents. Please let me know how I can help to support more development in Chatham, especially in NE region.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:10:09 PM by chickham » Logged
Grumble69
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 09:19:36 PM »

LARGE CITY? Let get real.

Chatham Park would be the size of Chapel Hill. LARGE city indeed.  Upside the head

Pittsboro ranks 167th in the state in terms of population.  And we're about to shoot all the way to the top of that list to around 15th-17th place, depending on whether we end up ahead of Chapel Hill and Rocky Mount in 30 years.  I also haven't heard any mention of the brakes being applied.  What happens if another developer wants to add to this?  Or if the current developer buys more land?  Maybe we'll break the 100K mark.

So hit the cute "head bonk" icon button a few more times if it makes you feel better.  But this is going to be huge honking population in a small amount of space.  I don't mind growing.  And job opportunities are nice.  This is crazy growth though.
zorro
Chathamohican

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 09:39:54 PM »

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:02:23 -0500
Subject: Chatham Park: A new medical center with a hospital.This enhances our access to health care and also equates to more jobs.

*Just building the first proposed site for UNC Hospitals will provide jobs in construction, which will focus on providing local and regional employment. The new jobs will lead to households spending locally, thus benefitting other established businesses, and leading to  more jobs and capital investment. Once the UNC facility is operating it will employ a large variety and number of people in the community. Employment opportunities in Chatham County may not be welcomed by those who already have good jobs, but those fortunate few should not be denying them to those who need good local jobs. PboMatters shows just how out of touch with the people of Chatham County they really are. The completed facility itself will be a direct benefit the people of Pittsboro and eastern Chatham Co., an asset they can use as soon as it is opened.  Also, Pittsboro has been promoting itself as a retirement center, and a first rate medical center in town will enhance that effort.*

zorro
Chathamohican

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »

Pittsboro ranks 167th in the state in terms of population.  And we're about to shoot all the way to the top of that list to around 15th-17th place, depending on whether we end up ahead of Chapel Hill and Rocky Mount in 30 years. 

Is going from 167th to 17th in 30 years really "shooting up"?  Roll Eyes

And you make your assumption that Chapel Hill and Rocky Mount won't grow based on what information?

Upside the head Upside the head Feeling doubly good!

Grumble69
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 11:27:03 PM »

That's why I put 15-17th.  It's unclear whether Pittsboro will be ahead of them or not.  And like I said, it could be conceivably higher if there are no limits to the growth.
TheGrinch

Last Login:February 16, 2014, 10:32:10 AM
Date Registerd:April 09, 2007, 03:39:32 PM

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »

Pittsboro Matters does have a decent sized following, because many share your concern over the size of this project and how that will affect Chatham. That doesn't mean that trying to get the developers to play Sim City with you is going to get you anywhere at this point.

We should be thinking more realistically. How do we maintain the best part of whatever control we do have and how can we set ourselves to reap the benfits and put them to good use for the long range future of Pittsboro?

you make good points and no one can disagree.   A few questions to consider.   If the development is inside the new city limits and problems are presented similar to Chapel Ridge and elsewhere what responsibilities for services will fall on Pittsboro citizens.   What guarantees are offered to protect Pittsboro from unknown circumstances.   Would the development be better outside Pittsboro?   Are there any studies showing anticipated impact on Pittsboro on Pittsboro businessmen and Pittsboro businesses?  What will be the impact on local builders, contractors, etc.?   It would be good if a group sat down and discussed the pros and cons in a reasonable manner, but that might be only an imagination gone wild.   
The longer we keep listening to Starkweather and his 'we are all smart people and we can do this better' stuff, the worse our situation will be at the end of the road.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: