Chatham County Online BBS
April 24, 2014, 11:47:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Best Email List in the Triangle! Join the Chatham Chatlist

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Rank Residence in Pittsboro, NC / Tonic Design + Tonic Construction  (Read 2655 times)
Gene Galin
Administrator
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 07:51:26 AM
Date Registerd:February 06, 2006, 02:00:00 AM

« on: September 26, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »

The Rank Residence in Pittsboro, NC / Tonic Design + Tonic Construction
http://www.archdaily.com/430457/the-rank-residence-tonic-design-tonic-construction/

Architects: Tonic Design + Tonic Construction
 Design Team: Vinny Petrarca and Katherine Hogan, Tonic Design
 Builder: Tonic Construction
 Structural Engineer: Kaydous-Daniels Engineers, Raleigh, NC
 Year: 2012
 Photographs: Raymond Goodman

From the architect. The client, recording artist Michael Rank, purchased his 60-acre spread near Pittsboro, NC, 20 years ago and has been waiting for the right time and the right designer to build a house on it.

Because privacy is a primary concern for this client, Tonic’s designers sited the house deeply into the property and near the edge of a forest. This set up a beautiful, rolling approach and a relationship between the house and an open pasture. The road curves to reveal an almost startling view of the tall, vertical end of the cubistic house, the upper section covered in standing seam metal. Any reminder of Gothic architecture’s pointed arches, ribbed vaults, and flying buttresses is strictly intentional!

In fact, the client asked Tonic to design and build a “Modern Gothic” house. That, plus his insistence on privacy; his love of tall, vertical spaces; his extreme fascination with stairs; his extensive art collection; and his need for space to house his “muscle cars” and dragster drove the design scheme. The result is a 3200-square-foot, four-story, flat-roofed house with a three-story-clear living room and an 1100-square-foot four-car garage beneath, all of which push the limits of wood-frame construction.

On grade, the garage is cast concrete. The main living space is defined on the exterior by painted concrete panels. The upper two levels are clad in factory-finished, black, standing-seam metal roofing material that will never need painting. The latter was both an aesthetic and practical choice considering the height of the structure. By design, the black and white exterior also recalls piano keys.

Speaking of music: Narrow vertical windows are placed to suggest notes on the staffs of sheet music. These off-the-shelf Window Shield® windows fit the dimensions inside the metal’s standing seams, so they enhance the house’s verticality and contributed to fast, affordable construction since there was no need for custom fitting. They also give the owner the privacy he wants while suggesting Gothic castles’ “arrow loop” windows that provided cover for archers protecting the castle.

A large Ipe wood deck with a black metal railing with steel cables, custom fabricated by Tonic Construction, extends the living space outdoors. A smaller balcony projects from the owner’s bedroom.

From the garage level, an 11-foot-tall concrete exterior staircase leads up to the home’s main level, where the living room rises to three stories clear and the owner’s favorite colors – black, gray, and white – are immediately apparent. The open kitchen and dining space are immediately adjacent to the living room. Along a far wall and overhead, a dramatic network of black metal staircases and ramps (M.C. Escher paintings come to mind), with open-grated steel flooring, lead up to bedrooms for the owner and his son (on separate quadrants of the upper level), to the library, and to a recording studio where the owner can write and record his music. (The studio can be converted to an additional bedroom in the future if necessary.) Sliding black metal doors provide privacy for the separate rooms. A spiral staircase from top to bottom is also located at the rear of the house.

Throughout the house, ledges hold artwork that can be revolved out whenever the owner wants without leaving nail holes in the white sheet-rocked walls. In dramatic contrast to the white walls is the dark gray ECOfusion® bamboo flooring from CaraGreen with subtle flecks of blue and brown.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”

Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 05:56:08 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 10:27:19 PM

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »

Cool, two shipping containers, one atop the other. Next we'll see special awards for decoratively smearing poo on the wall.   Roll Eyes

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 11:33:45 AM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 05:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »

Bing!

The only creative thing about that ... thing ... is the language used to describe its design

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 10:16:04 AM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 11:12:40 AM

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »

Heck I kind of like it.  For one thing, it comes with a drag car, which is cool.  Also, if someone with their wits about them stood on the top floor, they could defend the whole place rather well with no more than a pump shotgun due to the layout.

"All I've had today is, like, six gummy bears and some scotch"
1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:20:47 PM »

Heck I kind of like it.  For one thing, it comes with a drag car, which is cool.  Also, if someone with their wits about them stood on the top floor, they could defend the whole place rather well with no more than a pump shotgun due to the layout.

Actually, it doesn't "come with" a car, drag or otherwise.  That is resident supplied.

Point on the defensibility, though, but that's not the feature touted; it's asthetics, and those stink.

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
oakrunfarm
Chathameister

Last Login:April 13, 2014, 08:04:54 PM
Date Registerd:January 26, 2007, 07:14:27 PM

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »

Huh

I understand that people have different tastes, and I respect that. My own opinion is that it is uninspired, incongruous with the natural surroundings, and looks totally out of place.

Heck, who am I kidding. I think it's just plain hideous. (So much for "if you can't say something nice..." Lol.)

I hope Mr Rank is thrilled with his new home, and it is exactly what he wanted, because that is really all that matters.
1911A
Chathamohican

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »

I hope Mr Rank is thrilled with his new home, and it is exactly what he wanted, because that is really all that matters.

True dat.

Vetustior Humo.
WolfpackFan
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 10:44:35 AM
Date Registerd:February 23, 2006, 05:33:05 PM

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:58:23 AM »

When I saw the pic, I thought it was a government building.  To each his own.

More today than yesterday - Mindy
zorro
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 12:32:00 AM
Date Registerd:June 09, 2007, 09:29:22 PM

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »

Yep, really blends in with the surrounding natural settings.....

....like a sore thumb.  Upside the head

I defend the people of the land against tyrannical governors and other villains and bumbling authorities.
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 05:56:08 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 10:27:19 PM

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »

Mine comes with a drag car too - as well as the chain I use to drag it ;')

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
Kira
Chathamite

Last Login:March 03, 2014, 03:57:09 PM
Date Registerd:June 09, 2008, 10:20:41 AM

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »

I'd love to see photos of the inside.  That house looks way too cold for my taste, but I love seeing original architecture.  I very much enjoy the TV program called "Four Houses", which has some VERY interesting abodes.

What really annoys me are the houses all around here that obviously cost a million bucks and up that look like they used one of those magazines at the grocery store check-put counter for their house plans.  It is very infrequent to see any kind of original home architecture around here.
Patty52
Chathameister

Last Login:Yesterday at 03:55:28 PM
Date Registerd:August 27, 2008, 08:21:41 PM

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »

I'd love to see photos of the inside.  That house looks way too cold for my taste, but I love seeing original architecture.  I very much enjoy the TV program called "Four Houses", which has some VERY interesting abodes.

Kira, there are photos at the ArchDaily website, at the end of the article: several of the interior, the elevations, and the model.

http://www.archdaily.com/430457/the-rank-residence-tonic-design-tonic-construction/

It is interesting to see how much artwork the owner is displaying, which may be why the windows are so narrow: to reduce fading. I don't think we see much of the private space, but the public space is very austere. The focus appears to be on the art. I must admit, when I see space like this, I wonder how they change the light bulbs. And who does the dusting? And I imagine the sound is very "boomy", as there are no carpets or curtains.

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?
Kira
Chathamite

Last Login:March 03, 2014, 03:57:09 PM
Date Registerd:June 09, 2008, 10:20:41 AM

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »

Thanks. I do like the inside as an art gallery.  But wonder if the living space is warmer.  I wonder where this house is, with its 60 acres.  Well, Chatham County is a mighty big place.
dmccarty
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 07:35:42 PM
Date Registerd:February 05, 2009, 02:24:17 PM

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »

Thanks. I do like the inside as an art gallery.  But wonder if the living space is warmer.  I wonder where this house is, with its 60 acres.  Well, Chatham County is a mighty big place.

I believe the house is in the NE part of the county.

Later,
Dan
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 09:54:47 PM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 09:29:04 PM

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »

1100 sq feet is not a very big garage.

For defense it needs a chain link and barb wire electric fence, it would then be a replica of Central Prison.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"  - Adolf Hitler
Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: