Chatham County Online BBS
September 18, 2014, 09:41:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: View 1000s of full-color action-filled local sports images at Chatham Photos

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Helpful groundhog advice request  (Read 659 times)
chathamgardener
Chathamite

Last Login:August 27, 2014, 05:53:35 PM
Date Registerd:February 01, 2009, 11:02:28 AM

« on: July 06, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »

OK, the groundhogs have moved in under our front deck, no more than 20 feet from my house. The deck is really more of a walkway, no more than a few inches above the ground, making access by us impossible. I've read that their tunnels can be quite destructive, and I'd like to get them to leave. Shooting them isn't an option. They are far too wily.

We're going to try trapping them, but I hear they're pretty smart about traps too.

I don't own a dog anymore, and even if I did, I fear the dog would create more damage to the front garden, and I understand that groundhogs are quite adept at defending themselves.

Does anyone have any practical advice for getting rid of these varmints?

Thanks in advance for serious replies.
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 09:39:38 AM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 09:29:04 PM

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »

We shoot them when they are out and about.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"  - Adolf Hitler
wilsonmusic
Chathamite

Last Login:Today at 08:15:08 AM
Date Registerd:August 17, 2008, 12:23:08 PM

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »

I baited my trap with cut up apple, the more fragrant the better. Fresh peaches work too! I caught 6 ground hogs in about 3 weeks for my neighbor. They had moved in under her deck which is only about a foot off of the ground. I found where they were coming in and going out and put the trap close to that spot. Now...I took all of them several miles away and released them in the middle of nowhere and they haven't returned. That may be against the law but I'm not sure. You can shoot them, as a couple of friends of mine do since they were eating vegetables in their garden. If you release them, make sure it's a long ways from your house or they will come back. Be patient with trapping. They can get wary if there "buddies" have been caught, but eventually they can't resist the apple or peach. Don't let the fruit get more that a couple of days old as it will loose it fragrance and won't work. I caught 5 juveniles and the last one was the mother. She was harder to catch and smarter.
scooter
Chathamite

Last Login:May 07, 2014, 10:31:14 PM
Date Registerd:January 27, 2008, 02:03:42 PM

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »

Coming outta lurkdom here, and Wilson gave great advice. However, it is possible that all the recent rains have chased them from their homes for a respite. In that case, do not allow them to get established and start a family. Make their life as uncormfortable as possible. Chase them back away. Hope the rains stop and maybe they'll go back home. I really would be hesitant to start with puttiing food out over night, as who knows what that'll attract.
chathamgardener
Chathamite

Last Login:August 27, 2014, 05:53:35 PM
Date Registerd:February 01, 2009, 11:02:28 AM

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »

Thanks for the helpful tips, folks. We're going to do our best to encourage them to move elsewhere. I agree that the rain probably flushed them out. They've been living at the bottom of the hill near our creek for several years. But that area become lake-front property for several days recently, thanks to the rains, and I suspect that's what prompted their move to beneath my front walk.

I love country living, but the weeds and the varmints this year are exponentially bad.

Have mercy!
chrstnhsbndfthr
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 04:49:09 AM
Date Registerd:February 21, 2006, 12:25:33 AM

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »

Wilson did give good advice. One thing to add, a friend of mine says ground hog is delicious. The trick is to feed them once you have live trapped them for a couple of weeks to clean out their system. He seriously claims it is the best meat you can get.

Of course he uses the same technique on possums, though he does not claim they taste as good as ground hog, so take that for what it is worth.

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest <> of freedom, go <>in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. <>may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.-- Samuel Adams 1776
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: