Chatham County Online BBS
April 16, 2014, 06:00:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We've got local links galore! Check out the Chatham Links

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: North Chatham folks living on gravel roads BEWARE  (Read 1443 times)
hamhock

Last Login:Today at 05:17:56 PM
Date Registerd:July 05, 2012, 10:36:33 AM

« on: June 28, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

Had some guy in a shiny, dark colored Dodge Ram with SC plates earlier this morning drive in claiming to be working out on 87 asking if interested in having driveway paved.  Wasn't able to get tag number but did see it was a SC tag. 

Just a heads up that the scammers are out and about.  Be careful!
OrdinaryAverageGuy

Last Login:June 29, 2013, 06:13:27 PM
Date Registerd:June 24, 2013, 07:43:36 AM

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »

He stopped by our place off of Pleasant Hill Church Rd. last Wed. about 9:00 am. Pulled up to the house and honked the horn a few times as he stepped out of the truck.
It was a very new, shiny, dark blue Dodge Ram full size. Same truck. Same spiel about 'working down the road'. When I asked him who he was working for he said he didn't know their name. When I asked him his name, he said 'David'.
He backed out of the driveway so I didn't see a tag.
He had a slight accent: German / Eastern European.
5'10' ish ...spiked / styled blond hair, fit, maybe 25-30.
I got a bad vibe from him.
He was casing the house, in hindsight.
And we live on a clearly marked private road, so, yes he has a right to solicit work and try to make a living, but not on our road.
NickD
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 10:28:57 PM
Date Registerd:February 15, 2012, 09:37:47 PM

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »

Man. I really don't like folks I dont know pulling into my driveway uninvited.
I live on the end of a gravel driveway at the end of a gravel road... I think it's time for a gate.

Sheesh.
dmccarty
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 06:45:27 PM
Date Registerd:February 05, 2009, 02:24:17 PM

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »

We put up a gate years ago and it helps keep people out.  Helps not prevent.  We do not have a gate operator so we will leave the gate open if someone is home and someone else left.  Even though there is a gate, with no trespass signs, people will still drive to the house. 

The scary thing is how often women who are obviously lost, have driven down a private road, with no houses in sight, and no easy way to turn around... 

One year we had three people drive up, two women and one man who was driving.  One woman got out of the minivan, left the sliding door open, and came up to the house with a spray bottle.  That spray bottle was full of cleaning fluid which easily could have blinded you and allowed them to blitz the house.  They were "selling" cleaning fluid.  We had a short conversation and they left.

If you put up a gate, a powered gate operator is really nice.  In our case that means solar powered and we just never get around to spending the money.  Heck, even with the gate shut we have had people walk around the gate....   Angry

Later,
Dan
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 04:44:29 PM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 09:29:04 PM

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »

That cleaning fluid person was casing you house, she wanted in to see what you had. I had a vacuum cleaner person do the same thing, they say my garage door open and while the female was attempting to distract me he counter parts were up to no good, I was wise to it and they quickly left. The second time a group tried it I was coming across the yard and caught them off guard, they took off like scalded cats.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"  - Adolf Hitler
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 05:20:03 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 05:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »

It doesn't happen too often, but when I see an unknown vehicle coming up my driveway, I'm in and out the house, then standing on the porch armed.  The up-to-no-goods get the clear message and boogie.

A motorized gate is on the to-do list.

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
tack4sale
Chathameister

Last Login:April 14, 2014, 11:30:30 AM
Date Registerd:February 19, 2006, 12:10:30 AM

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »

I have a driveway alarm that ding dongs when someone comes in the gate. I need to remember to close it more often.  Upside the head

www.HiddenPondFarmNC.com Performance-bred Quarterhorses with color! Saddles & tack for sale.

Look for    Hiddenpond Quarterhorses   on FaceBook
NickD
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 10:28:57 PM
Date Registerd:February 15, 2012, 09:37:47 PM

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »

It doesn't happen too often, but when I see an unknown vehicle coming up my driveway, I'm in and out the house, then standing on the porch armed.  The up-to-no-goods get the clear message and boogie.

Haha. I didn't want to sound like a paranoiac, but I like nothing more than greeting visitors open carry.

Being armed shouldn't be seen as threatening, but I sure like when people see it.  There's a time and a place for concealed carry.
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 05:20:03 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 05:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:13:07 PM »

Haha. I didn't want to sound like a paranoiac, but I like nothing more than greeting visitors open carry.

Being armed shouldn't be seen as threatening, but I sure like when people see it.  There's a time and a place for concealed carry.

It's only threatening to the up-to-no-goods, as I see it.  You're right, Nick; time and place for everything.

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: