Chatham County Online BBS
July 29, 2014, 10:46:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: View 1000s of full-color action-filled local sports images at Chatham Photos

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with Centurylink  (Read 3962 times)
Suzqubuz

Last Login:March 03, 2014, 06:21:33 PM
Date Registerd:June 24, 2013, 10:26:22 AM

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »

Thanks all!

FYI - CL responded to my email to "Talk to Us". Not too much new here -- but here's hoping Engineering says they are working on it. I guess this is what I get for moving to the "country". Smiley   But, seriously, this is kind of ridiculous.

Here is what I received:

Thanks for reaching out.  Iím sorry to hear about the trouble youíre having.   Iíll do my best to address your questions below.1.       I donít think that the line does not exist any longer.  Itís just possible that the DSL equipment in your area is at 100% capacity.  If there are no DSL cards available to hook your line up to, then we canít provide service.  Itís possible that once he disconnected the card that provided his service was assigned to someone else.  Itís also possible that as a means to reduce congestion they prevented any new DSL sales on this device.  If he called to disconnect service this isnít something that would be typically disclosed to him, nor would customer service be aware of during a disconnect order.

2.      Engineering is not a customer facing group and therefore does not typically have direct contact with customer service agents.  I have contacts in engineering that I can check with and will do just that.  Itís possible there are no plans to add new DSL ports to allow customers like yourself to have DSL.

3.      This question you pretty much summed up what we can offer.  Hughes Net and Verizon Wireless, both of which we are a reseller of.  Any terms and conditions both of those companies require for their service we have to require also. They provide a product with the intention of keeping you as a customer and even if something better comes along they will want you to stick with any agreements you make.

4.      Generally DSL expansion plans are the decisions of the local and national network management and local and national engineering teams.  We used to encourage folks to get petitions together, but no longer encourage it.  The previously mentioned groups constantly analyze areas for expansion, but have to do so within the parameters of their respective budgets.  

5.      I see a note was placed on your cancelled order to notify you of new DSL expansion which does send a letter.  

I hope this helps explain things.  I will get back to you as soon as I hear back from engineering.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:41:39 PM by Suzqubuz, Reason: incorrect wording » Logged
Suzqubuz

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »

NickD -

So what does Siler City have to use for Internet? Dial up? Wireless?

TCD

Last Login:June 07, 2014, 03:48:20 PM
Date Registerd:January 01, 2013, 12:52:50 PM

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »

As I feared... they are oversold and don't have any bandwidth left to sell to you. And judging from the response they gave you, it doesn't seem like they are keeping any kind of formal waiting list so if someone in your area cancels and frees up a card, I guess whoever calls in first after the cancellation gets it, even if you've been waiting for months and they're trying for the first time?   Yikes.  What a way to run a railroad.

One suggestion, if you do go with Verizon or Hughes net go directly to those vendors, not through CenturyLink... don't reward CenturyLink for their inadequate service by letting them get a cut of what you pay for your alternative solution.
poman

Last Login:Today at 09:22:12 AM
Date Registerd:November 11, 2008, 09:56:37 AM

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »

NickD -

CenturyLink and Charter Cable are available in and around Siler City. I've used both for internet and phone and prefer Charter although they share some of the customer service issues. Charter has proven to be a more reliable service and is less expensive.
NickD
Chathamite

Last Login:Today at 07:04:44 AM
Date Registerd:February 15, 2012, 09:37:47 PM

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »

NickD -

CenturyLink and Charter Cable are available in and around Siler City. I've used both for internet and phone and prefer Charter although they share some of the customer service issues. Charter has proven to be a more reliable service and is less expensive.

Suzqubuz,
I have a business IN the city and use CL for phone and DSL.

I live in "Siler City", but really out in the Bear Creek area where the ONLY option is Sattelite.
We use Wildblue
Limited to 15 gigs at 15 Mbps advertised (800 ms ping... Sigh), and if you exceed 15 gig, they throttle you to like 16 k or something preposterous.
Anyone wanna buy a Roku box?!

Nick
oakrunfarm
Chathameister

Last Login:Yesterday at 09:25:51 PM
Date Registerd:January 26, 2007, 07:14:27 PM

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 08:05:10 AM »

We live close to Nick D, and I have been through every permutation of trying to find out:

1. Other viable options
2. When/if we will get DSL

My experience with Centurylink has been frustrating to the point of ridiculousness. I have gone to various sources, including an organization that is SUPPOSED to help rural North Carolinians obtain DSL service (http://ncbroadband.gov/) and gotten nowhere. I have emailed the person from there who is touted as helping folks in our area find out when we'll be getting it, and was promised to at least get a response. NADA. What I would like to know is WHAT THE HECK DID THESE COMPANIES DO WITH THE GRANT MONEY TO PROVIDE INTERNET SERVICE TO RURAL NORTH CAROLINIANS? I am pretty sure I read that somewhere, but I am not seeing any evidence of it. Bonuses for the CEO???

We've been paying $60.00 a month for five years for an aircard that we get dial up speeds with (per multiple speed tests).
And THAT'S when we can get service at all. Half the time we can't even get on, or it sits and spins in a manner that makes me want to take the whole kit and caboodle and throw it off a tall building. I'm getting 1995 service at 2013 prices. It's just absurd.

I've stopped and spoken with Centurylink service people in vans along the road, I've called Centurylink so many times, and spent so much time on the phone with them...

When we first moved to the area in 2008, it was Embarq I was calling. They were all trained to parrot, "Six more months. You'll have service in six more months." BS.

The last time I called a couple of months ago, they were at least honest. They said, "Sorry. You're right. We can't provide you with good service. You can get out of your contract at any time."

I sure would like to have the $3600.00 we've spent over the last five years for hellishly crappy service back.
mountain gal
Chathamohican

Last Login:July 22, 2014, 10:20:32 AM
Date Registerd:August 10, 2009, 02:35:20 PM

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 11:13:25 AM »

With all of this being said and admitting tech talk is over my head at my age - is it reasonable to conclude that the reason my computer "freezes" and sends me a message that it "is not responding" is due to century link and not due to my computer being 5 years old?  I spent $100. to have my tower cleaned up to make sure it was not due to viruses, but it continues to do so.  I realize I need to call tech support, but I do not have time to spend a half a day with them on the phone.
Jack Stevens
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 01:56:58 PM
Date Registerd:August 03, 2009, 11:20:06 AM

Professional Net Lurker

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »

With all of this being said and admitting tech talk is over my head at my age - is it reasonable to conclude that the reason my computer "freezes" and sends me a message that it "is not responding" is due to century link and not due to my computer being 5 years old?  I spent $100. to have my tower cleaned up to make sure it was not due to viruses, but it continues to do so.  I realize I need to call tech support, but I do not have time to spend a half a day with them on the phone.

Not likely; a "not responding" message usually means the program is overly busy for some reason.  "page timed out" or "page not found" would more likely be a broadband issue.

I seem to have that issue with Firefox if it has a problem with a script on a web page; it will cause all tabs to lock up, while IE and other applications keep on going.  That's on a laptop running XP Pro and desktops running XP home one two and Windows 7 home on another.  Usually the same script on the same web pages causes it.
NickD
Chathamite

Last Login:Today at 07:04:44 AM
Date Registerd:February 15, 2012, 09:37:47 PM

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »

Amen Oakrun...

I heard once that if an entire neighborhood makes the request,  there is some requirement to act? I'm sure I misheard, but seeing as how there are only five families in our subdivision, I wonder if theres a loophole we could exploit.
Hmmm

Jack, ever heard this?
Jack Stevens
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 01:56:58 PM
Date Registerd:August 03, 2009, 11:20:06 AM

Professional Net Lurker

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »

Amen Oakrun...

I heard once that if an entire neighborhood makes the request,  there is some requirement to act? I'm sure I misheard, but seeing as how there are only five families in our subdivision, I wonder if theres a loophole we could exploit.
Hmmm

Jack, ever heard this?

I'm not aware of any such requirement per se.  I think it'd be a good idea for any service provider to pay attention to it, though.

I've been told that the "squeaky wheel" process does work, although like the comments to Suzqubuz state, the engineering group aren't "customer facing" - they deal only with other internal groups.  But some of those other internal groups are customer facing, and let the planners know how many different requests for service they get; the planners then based growth decisions on that and costs of providing those services, and then pass that information to the engineering groups to implement.

My sister-in-law works in that equivalent department at AT&T in Raleigh; from what she says, they have the same processes.
Suzqubuz

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »

@Oakrunfarm --- I called and sent an email to the organization you mention. So far... nothing, but we shall see.

And to all - CL did get back to me and said there is a project in the works to remedy the situation. The soonest any expansion would occur is 9/30.
woodsy

Last Login:Yesterday at 07:10:06 PM
Date Registerd:September 14, 2008, 09:49:22 AM

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »

I look forward to CenturyLink's expansion. It takes time and an incredible amount of investment to upgrade and increase capacity, and I'm grateful that they are working to service the less-profitable country areas at all.

I am fortunate enough to have them on the Pittsboro side of Siler City. They have their ups and downs like everyone else, but their customer service and technical service have been outstanding every time I've called. They have been much more responsive with downtime solutions and MUCH faster and more informative to talk to than the big boys (Time Warner, AT&T, etc.). Bandwidth has been as promised and downtime is less-frequent with faster recovery than when I was with ATT in my previous home in Northern Chatham.
dmccarty
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 08:24:14 PM
Date Registerd:February 05, 2009, 02:24:17 PM

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »

We have Century Link and the service is pretty bad.  They are the only land line service in our area and we are lucky to have DSL at all.  What is very frustrating to us is that houses behind us have 10mbps service while we are limited to 1.5.  Modem resets occur several times a week, sometimes several times a day, which we never had to do this when on cable in the city. 

Last year we got our neighbors to call Century Link and Time Warner asking for better service or service at all.  We do not have Time Warner access but we were hoping they would run a line down the road.

We have had service at the house multiple times to no effect.  The problem is obviously in the office and the service people are paying the price.  Yesterday we had some more serious problems that the usual modem and router reset did not fix and I had to call service.  We actually had a message on our browser telling us to call support and give them an error number.  It looked like the modem was trying to install updates which was odd.  Once I got past first line support, who wanted me to reboot my system,  Roll Eyes, NO, that is not the answer, I got to a person who was able to see and fix a problem on the network.  Problem solved in a few seconds. 

I cannot say we have had bad support from Century, they are usually very helpful.  We simply should not be having these almost daily problems.

Later,
Dan
kstraughn
Chathamite

Last Login:Today at 09:37:35 AM
Date Registerd:March 10, 2006, 03:07:41 PM

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »

We are on Alston Chapel Rd, our modem resets have gotten to where they occur 5 or 6 times a day. I asked about getting a new modem and got this in a reply.

"I also see a outage that could be effecting you.
I have pulled up your account and there is a bandwidth exhaust in your area that will be causing slow speeds and latency, especially during peak periods of usage such as evenings and weekends.  This issue is due to be resolved by July 20th."

Maybe this will solve some of the other issues ...... we will see.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
blondesnooper

Last Login:July 10, 2014, 09:08:45 AM
Date Registerd:June 13, 2007, 03:36:25 PM

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 09:03:13 AM »

I also live off of Pittsboro-Moncure road about half way down. Blast, located in Pittsboro, (http://www.blast.com/index.php?id=7) does provide wireless to my area. My neighbor uses them. I choose centurylink since I was lazy and bundled services. Blast is an option perhaps for you.
Tags: Centurylink  Century  Link  Internet  Moncure 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: