Chatham County Online BBS
April 24, 2014, 02:07:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: People looking for work- Employers can't find people?  (Read 445 times)
Bigslim

Last Login:April 19, 2014, 05:13:55 PM
Date Registerd:March 22, 2013, 10:23:45 AM

« on: June 22, 2013, 06:15:07 AM »

What's the deal ? I'm hearing more and more about companies looking for people but can't find qualified people. I'm not talking about high tech or doctors, I'm talking about "unskilled" labor. Movers, road work flagger, security guard, fast food workers, park attendent, etc. Also, it seems every few days somebody is on television saying they can't find qualified people. 
  One reason, to be a road flagger you have to be certified. I read an ad a while back looking for somebody to dig or get dirt out of a ditch and they wanted you to supply your own shovel & pick. I checked into an ad for a security guard in Chatham county trash sites, you have to drive to Raleigh or Greensboro for interveiw, then again drive to either Raleigh or Greensboro two days to a class (not paid) then pay fee for cert. card, buy uniforms and this was for near min wage and then if you did all that, you would then be put on an on call list.

mary51802
Chathamohican

Last Login:April 16, 2014, 05:31:21 PM
Date Registerd:July 05, 2008, 05:58:25 PM

we are all beautiful

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:38:32 AM »

I am on the Triangle South Workforce Development Board and what they mean by that is mostly in manufacturing. The new mode of manufacturing is high tech and people need computer skills and good math skills and there is a shortage of those folks we are trying to get the nearby community colleges to offer. The companies that are saying they cannot find skilled people are mostly in that category. People have not kept up with skills needed for new industries. A person who has been working in fast food or as a sanitation worker in the past (just as an example) will not be qualified unless they go back to school.

He who p*isses into the wind is all wet....................
Bigslim

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 07:05:36 AM »

While it may be true about the lack of skilled workers in manufacturing, it seems to me that it extends into nearly all of the workplace. My wife was telling me about a large moving company in Raleigh that was looking for somebody to help move furniture and they had over 60 people to apply. But nobody was qualified, out of 60+  people there was not one person that could carry furniture?
  Is there no more on the job training? I was in West Virginia working construction a year or so ago and they wanted laborers with experience. It use to be that people would load the trash truck and the truck driver would take it to the dump, now "they" want the people loading the trash to have a CDL to drive the truck. The company I work for now has steadily taken away pay such as mileage for using your own truck, and getting paid a salary, unless you work under 40 hours then the pay rate changes to hourly--if you go over 40-50-60 hours pay does not go up. Yes this is not legal, but if you want to keep your job you will go along with it.
  It also seems to me that "they" are taking advantage of so many people out of work 
NickD
Chathamite

Last Login:April 22, 2014, 10:34:47 PM
Date Registerd:February 15, 2012, 09:37:47 PM

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »

Another part of the problem is that "low skill" jobs used to be populated by workers that perhaps didn't have a high tech background or a college degree, but had an abundance of real life skills and a strong work ethic. 
As an employer, I can speak from experience when I say that there are plenty of people applying for available jobs, but there are few qualified... Mainly because they don't want to "work".
Bigslim

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »

I guess my next comment would be that the work place is also changing in the way of being available 24/7. Either to work any time schedule and available by cell 24/7. I guess I'm from the old school, work from 6-7am to 5-7pm and that was it until 6-7am the next day, some Saturdays and very few sundays.
   About a year ago I was out of work for a while, while I was not willing to lie and say I'd do anything then once I got the job start the I can't work on the 14th because I have to go to court, I'm sick, got a doctors appointment--whatever. Also, with facebook, tweeter, criminal search, etc. we are looking for the perfect person.
  Heck, I bet Jesus couldn't get a job as preacher ain't certified.
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 09:54:47 PM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 09:29:04 PM

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:02:29 AM »

24/7 on call is a fact of life, it doesn't bother me, you have to do what the job requires. If you have a decent employer they will work with you on dr appointments, school events and volunteer commitments.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"  - Adolf Hitler
mary51802
Chathamohican

Last Login:April 16, 2014, 05:31:21 PM
Date Registerd:July 05, 2008, 05:58:25 PM

we are all beautiful

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 07:09:29 AM »

Another part of the problem is that "low skill" jobs used to be populated by workers that perhaps didn't have a high tech background or a college degree, but had an abundance of real life skills and a strong work ethic. 
As an employer, I can speak from experience when I say that there are plenty of people applying for available jobs, but there are few qualified... Mainly because they don't want to "work".

Agreed. I was at a seminar and a small tooling firm spoke stating they are lacking for qualified workers and the owner stated what he meant was not just people to run the machines but he was looking for people with soft skills also. He said the current crew is vulgar, does not keep hygene up, swears a lot on the job and talks about things they should not while working. He said he will fire those when he finds people who can follow company policies and deal with visitors on the floor as his company grows. He needs ethical people who can admit problems and offer solutions as well as deal with outsiders visiting. I do not blame him as your employees are the face of your business.

He who p*isses into the wind is all wet....................
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: