Chatham County Online BBS
October 30, 2014, 07:48:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Best Email List in the Triangle! Join the Chatham Chatlist

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: CentruryLink Prism TV & Internet Service Issues  (Read 9878 times)
jerryrichardson

Last Login:September 19, 2014, 07:18:40 AM
Date Registerd:February 11, 2009, 07:51:31 PM

« on: May 28, 2013, 07:10:14 AM »

If anyone reading this uses CenturyLink for Prism TV or Internet Service and you don't mind sharing how your service is working, I would appreciate it. We live between Northwood High School and Fearrington Village and over the past 30 days our service has gotten terrible, especially in the PM hours when they have heavier use.

Thoughts & Comments?

Thanks
Jerry
Andy
Chathamohican

Last Login:October 28, 2014, 05:41:32 PM
Date Registerd:February 22, 2011, 05:04:37 PM

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »

Are there actually HD antennae that will work out here in Chatham County. I live east of PBO and can't consistently pull in over-the-air signals from Raleigh or Durham.
WolfpackFan
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 06:59:34 PM
Date Registerd:February 23, 2006, 05:33:05 PM

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »

jerry,

I have centurylink for internet and have had very spotty service about the timeframe you mention.  It seems like every afternoon, I have to reset the modem, and then the speeds still fluctuate.  I live south of the circle in PBO.

I am switching next week to TWC for internet.  It is about half the price, partly because I don't really need the phone part, so I will see what happens after I switch.

More today than yesterday - Mindy
jerryrichardson

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »

Thanks Wolfpack.  I am thinking Centurylink may be pushing their broadband limits a little.

As for the Direvt TV, been there and done that years ago. Thanks but no thanks to the sales call Audio Video.

Andy, I have no experience with the digitak antennas. Sorry.

Prisim TV worked great for 18 months but fell off the cliff the last 30 days.

Crossing my fingers to make the correct decision.

Jerry
Suzqubuz

Last Login:Today at 10:51:53 AM
Date Registerd:June 24, 2013, 10:26:22 AM

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »

I just saw your post --- I just posted some details under my own topic.  But I was told by Centurylink that Moncure/Pittsboro area is saturated and no longer will be able to get internet. No one can give me details on when it will be fixed. Wonder if this has something to do with your issue?

Jack Stevens
Chathameister

Last Login:Today at 10:16:20 AM
Date Registerd:August 03, 2009, 11:20:06 AM

Professional Net Lurker

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »

Jerry -

The infrastructure I'm on precludes me getting PRISM IPTV.  My DSL service has been consistent; I'm configured for 10 mb/sec, I get 9 mb/sec out at the NID (network interface device) on my house, and drop another megabit of speed in my internal wiring, which means I need to replace that.

My modem does require an occasional reset (about once a week) because it will drop down to about 4 mb/sec.  After the reset, I go back to the faster speeds.

I'm getting some rain fade on my Direct TV service right now. That happens.  I don't like it, but it goes with the technology.

You might try sending an email to "TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com" like Suzqubuz did.  She didn't get told what she wanted to hear, but she did get more info than she did from the order taker.

TCD

Last Login:Yesterday at 10:59:29 PM
Date Registerd:January 01, 2013, 12:52:50 PM

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »

I am switching next week to TWC for internet.  It is about half the price, partly because I don't really need the phone part, so I will see what happens after I switch.

Thank you. Everyone who has that choice should go with cable. Centurylink shouldn't mind since they are selling all the internets they can make, and are having to turn customers away.   And you'll free up bandwidth for those of us who don't have a viable alternative.  Win-win!
jerryrichardson

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 05:39:18 AM »

Thank you again for all the post and comments. 

It's only fair to post that after many trips by Century Link Techs and persistence on their behalf, our service is much improved. We do have spotty outages, but no where near the amount we were experiencing 30 to 45 days ago. I want to thank Century Link for the attention they gave our problem and their willingness to correct it.

Bottom line, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would say we are currently rating them an 8. I rarely give 10's. I don't expect perfection but I do expect to receive what we are paying for. At this time, we are staying with Century Link.

If the service goes "South" again, I will update the post.

Thank you,
Jerry R.
Jack Stevens
Chathameister

Last Login:Today at 10:16:20 AM
Date Registerd:August 03, 2009, 11:20:06 AM

Professional Net Lurker

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »

Jerry -

I don't know which device you connect through at CenturyLink; there was a network change last night to increase bandwidth that had an unintended negative consequence, which is fixed but will take some time to get fully pushed out.

The change accidentally blocked some subscribers on this device from being able to get to the DNS servers their DHCP assignment gave them.  That means that you could connect, get great speed, but not be able to go anyplace because your computer couldn't figure out how to get there.  If a subscriber was given an IP out of one of several different blocks, and the DNS servers of 71.2.28.14 and 63.162.197.99, they couldn't reach those servers.

I made a change to have them use the new servers we have going in at 205.171.203.226 and 205.171.2.226 but the DHCP lease period has to come up for renewal (or subscriber reboots) to get the new servers.

All subscriber IP pools will be changed to these new servers within the next few weeks.
Tags: CenturyLink Internet 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: