Chatham County Online BBS
October 23, 2014, 04:39:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Before you go out to eat check out the Local Restaurant Reviews

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Of Double Standards  (Read 4184 times)
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 04:35:33 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 11:12:40 AM

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »

Again, here's hoping you can get one soon, before your head explodes.

Making you look like a dope is great stress relief.  Especially since it is so easy.  =)

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 08:48:10 PM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 04:52:41 PM

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 04:03:13 PM »

You see, petty insults actually make you look like the dope. All day.
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »

What have you done to show that you don't support what the Obama Administration has done?  Have you written them a letter?  Have you talked about it to the local Democrats?  What have you done?

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2013, 11:24:29 AM »

Perhaps you might consider switching to decaf.
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 11:14:46 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 10:27:19 PM

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »

I was thinking about this and Yipp wondering if he would run with this at all.

Run with or run from?

Boy can I call them!  Grin

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 03:29:57 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 01:53:20 PM

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »

What have you done to show that you don't support what the Obama Administration has done?  Have you written them a letter?  Have you talked about it to the local Democrats?  What have you done?

How many times do you need to be answered,he's done nothing.Why else would he dodge?

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »

Dodge what? Accusations from someone who has no idea? Sounds like very solid reasoning.

Kind of like the logic of, well you voted for Obama, so you must support everything he does. 

I'm sure everyone ont his board has been asked to list all the things they have done, or perhaps nobody has been asked. Sounds a bit, perhaps, like a double standard - don't cha know?

John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 03:29:57 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 01:53:20 PM

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2013, 08:07:41 PM »

Dodge what? Accusations from someone who has no idea? Sounds like very solid reasoning.

Kind of like the logic of, well you voted for Obama, so you must support everything he does. 

I'm sure everyone ont his board has been asked to list all the things they have done, or perhaps nobody has been asked. Sounds a bit, perhaps, like a double standard - don't cha know?

You do support everything he's done.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2013, 11:19:23 PM »

It depends on whether or not they have taken it upon themselves to defend the current administration, and the Democrats, on a consistent basis.  There are times when you do not agree with their actions, but I've seen no indication that you wouldn't still vote for them.

If you do nothing to let them know and they continue to get your vote, is that or is that not tacit approval?  I mean, if not responding to a thread in a timely fashion is considered tacit approval in your book, then wouldn't you consider voting for them, without raising any objections, to be just as bad?  I think it is worse.

People like Stam and Tillis know me on a first name basis.  So does Kinnaird, and a whole bunch of others.  They know me because I'm on the phone with them letting them know when I believe they've screwed up.  For better or for worse, I'm participating in the political process.  Both parties hear from me because I act based upon principles, not what some particular party says I should believe.

Considering how bent out of shape you got when phones were tapped by a newspaper (owned by someone you don't like), it is strange to see how little you seem to care when our government does even worse, on a much larger scale.  I guarantee you if a Republican were in office you'd be the first one to make a thread about how awful it is.  But since it is Obama, getting you to comment on it is like pulling teeth.

And that's where the questions about your principles come into play.  I think you're a dyed in the wool liberal and you really don't give a damn what Obama does so long as it harms your common political foes.  I think the small bones you throw here and there are just a cover.  And I think if you answered the question honestly about what you've done as a citizen to express your disapproval of the practice, the answer would be nothing.

NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »

Yeah, well you know, I'm sorry, but some of us don't have the time to make sure we show the proper amount of outrage when it comes to these things.

I haven't exactly seen you raising hell about the fact that the largest political donor in the last election cycle for the NC GOP has been arrested or demanding Pat return and all the others return the dirty money. Why? Because even though you talk to these guys on a regular basis, you don't seem to have brought that one up here or anyplace else.

I've commented on your latest pet issues just as much if not more than you have commented on that issue, as an example. You didn't hold their feet to the fire for taking dirty money, and continue to demand they return that money, you let that one slide on by. So is that tacit approval of illegal funding? I don't think it is, but some might.

So before you go throwing rocks around about principle, you might take a look at your own predilections and how they might affect your perception on some things and who you decide to go after. And likewise, I think if you answered the question of do you stand on principles alone honestly, it might be a bit more complicated and nuanced then you are making out here.

I've changed my position or at least my thinking on various issues here, due to my conversations and discussions with others on this board. I think that is about the best we can hope for - that people who have a different perspective at least consider that there may be other viewpoints. As I have said in the past, I prefer to spend my time on more direct action in regards to helping others through charities and assisting friends and relatives. Others may choose to be more involved with politicians and such. Just about every leader has their issues - from cheating on their wives to illegal funding or whatever, so it often comes down to picking your poison - and swallowing some of your principles for the sake of others. As as also often said, I'm also willing to consider that you may be right.

Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »

Yeah, well you know, I'm sorry, but some of us don't have the time to make sure we show the proper amount of outrage when it comes to these things.

I haven't exactly seen you raising hell about the fact that the largest political donor in the last election cycle for the NC GOP has been arrested or demanding Pat return and all the others return the dirty money. Why? Because even though you talk to these guys on a regular basis, you don't seem to have brought that one up here or anyplace else.

Didn't we discuss that before you went on "vacation"?  Yes.

http://chatham-county-nc.com/bulletinboard/index.php/topic,29269.0.html

Just checked my emails.  I've got no responses from the NC GOP leadership or McCrory.  I've also called them and got into what I'll just describe as a "heated" conversation with a clueless intern or staffer.  One of the things I asked them about was the appointment of Kieran Shanahan.  Are you familiar with that situation?  Shanahan assaulted a couple of kids, one of them was 11 and the other one 13.  He plead out but I'm not so sure he is the best choice for the friggin Department of Public Safety.  I mean, does that make sense to you?  I doubt it.  Believe me, I'm rattling their cages.

Tillis is so sick and tired from hearing from me its actually kind of funny.  But that's a whole other story and I'm sure you'd find it amusing too.

I've commented on your latest pet issues just as much if not more than you have commented on that issue, as an example. You didn't hold their feet to the fire for taking dirty money, and continue to demand they return that money, you let that one slide on by. So is that tacit approval of illegal funding? I don't think it is, but some might.

See that bit above.  McCrory didn't get a dime from me to begin with.  Now I'll probably support whoever runs against him.  I'm pissed at the NC GOP.  I don't know how many different ways I have to explain it for you to understand.

So before you go throwing rocks around about principle, you might take a look at your own predilections and how they might affect your perception on some things and who you decide to go after. And likewise, I think if you answered the question of do you stand on principles alone honestly, it might be a bit more complicated and nuanced then you are making out here.

I guess asking you where you stand is construed as throwing rocks.  Maybe it just seems like rocks because it is difficult for you to justify your voting habits.  Especially when asked to logically parse out your reasoning for doing so.  If you find it difficult, and it causes you to be uncomfortable, maybe it is time to reassess your standpoint as opposed to being ticked at me because I put you on the spot.

I've changed my position or at least my thinking on various issues here, due to my conversations and discussions with others on this board. I think that is about the best we can hope for - that people who have a different perspective at least consider that there may be other viewpoints. As I have said in the past, I prefer to spend my time on more direct action in regards to helping others through charities and assisting friends and relatives. Others may choose to be more involved with politicians and such. Just about every leader has their issues - from cheating on their wives to illegal funding or whatever, so it often comes down to picking your poison - and swallowing some of your principles for the sake of others. As as also often said, I'm also willing to consider that you may be right.

Well, it sounds like you're saying, in a roundabout way, that you don't really do much to hold the politicians responsible, and when it comes to picking your poison, you're going to vote Democrat and that's pretty much all there is to it.  Thanks.  At least you finally answered the question.

Not sure what you mean by swallowing your principles for the sake of others.  My principles, though maybe not perfect by everyone's standard, take other people's well being into account.  I'm not a completely selfish human being, even if statists love to make that accusation for those of us who place a high value on individual freedom.

I'll just end with this thought.  It is fine and well that you have changed the way you think.  But if your actions in the voting booth don't change, and you don't participate to the extent that you let politicians know when they've screwed up, then what is the net effect of changing your mind?  Changing opinions is one thing.  Changing behavior is what makes the real difference.  And let me say, emailing and calling the reps works.  I can cite specific examples where a couple hundred active participants made a difference at the state level. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:34:41 PM by Pi » Logged

NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 07:13:23 PM »

Actually, we didn't really discuss it per se, I brought it up and you deflected to make the conversation about me. I don't think you actually mentioned the topic of that thread specifically, or if they should return all the money, at all. So perhaps you didn't donate to Pat, but I bet you voted for him, along with many of the others that took that illegal money. So you have brought that up with them? I didn't hear that either.

I actually do find the idea of you reaming out Tillis amusing, so good job on that front.

No, it is throwing rocks when you try and put words in my mouth and attack my principles and character.

What I am saying is that I am disillusioned by politics in general and prefer to spend my energy in ways that can help people directly without the need for an intermediary. I might think a conservative would respect that kind of charity. My hats off to you though, for doing what you think is right and useful.

Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 01:16:48 AM »

Actually, we didn't really discuss it per se, I brought it up and you deflected to make the conversation about me. I don't think you actually mentioned the topic of that thread specifically, or if they should return all the money, at all. So perhaps you didn't donate to Pat, but I bet you voted for him, along with many of the others that took that illegal money. So you have brought that up with them? I didn't hear that either.

Barbara Howe.  That's where my vote and my money went.  Still, I think I have every right to hold McCrory's feet to the fire.  Don't you?

What I am saying is that I am disillusioned by politics in general and prefer to spend my energy in ways that can help people directly without the need for an intermediary. I might think a conservative would respect that kind of charity. My hats off to you though, for doing what you think is right and useful.

If you are so disillusioned, then why do you participate so much in political discussions?  That doesn't make any sense.  You can do combat all day on here, but you can't trouble yourself to actually write an email or make a few phone calls?  Sorry, but I just don't buy that.

Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:24 AM »

Yes, you do. Which is why I questioned why you didn't seem to holding his feet or anything else near a fire regarding the illegal campaign contributions, the bundling of those donations, and demanding he return it. The NC GOP also seems to have gotten a pass on taking those same tainted donations.

Please go back and read what I wrote.  I did not give them a pass.  I have raised hell over it and several other issues.  With them.  On the freakin phone.  Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?  All you've done is make a post about it on a message board.  I've done a heck of a lot more than that.  You have absolutely no room to criticize me on that point.  Again, I'm holding their feet to the fire in the real world, not just the virtual world. 

You seem to think that everyone must do the things that you do to make an impact or the impact you want or whatever. I'm not buying that either. I still have the right to participate in political discussions or anything else however I choose to do it. Your way is great for you, so that is probably the best person for your advice.

No, I don't.  I think the people that criticize others because they aren't showing enough outrage or don't acknowledge something fast enough, i.e. you, should do a bit more than whine about things on a message board.  If all you're about is railing against your neighbors, yet never make an effort to hold the actual culprits responsible, what exactly is the purpose of that?  You've got all the time in the world to go after me, but no time at all to send an email to a representative who does something that, according to your own words, is against your principle.

That makes very little sense to me.  I do more things off the board in terms of participating in the political process than I do on the board.  I just fired off an email last night to ever Republican representative on an issue that we're not even talking about here on the Chatham BBS.  What you're telling me is that this board is your political participation.  What I'm telling you is that this board is the tip of the iceberg for me.  You can do whatever you like, but if verbal combat with your neighbors is all you're willing to do, that's pretty lame.

Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 11:14:46 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 10:27:19 PM

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2013, 08:51:56 PM »

Interesting. Must be on another vacation, eh?   Wink

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: