Chatham County Online BBS
April 18, 2014, 07:17:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Big Government NC GOP Style: No 'Mini Gulp' Size Allowed  (Read 891 times)
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 12:42:10 PM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 04:52:41 PM

« on: March 25, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »

We Only Like the Kind of Big Government We Approve Of

Raleigh, N.C. A company hoping to sell 3-ounce vials of high-alcohol malt beverages in flavors like Screw Driver and Apple Pie is asking the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission to approve its packaging.

Staff members with the ABC Commission rejected Stout Brewing's packaging for its Stout 21 malt beverage product last month.The formal letter from the commission said the rejection was based on the state's authority to "prohibit or regulate any advertising of alcoholic beverages which is contrary to the public interest." This doesn't reject the drink itself, but rather the way in which it would be sold.

The Rev. Mark Creech, executive director of the Christian Action League, said this is a downside of the a 2005 law that lifted the cap on the amount of alcohol allowed in malt beverage, which had previously been set at 6 percent alcohol by volume. The law, he said, not only cleared the way for boutique beers and craft brewers.

"We're putting something on the convenience store shelves that's akin to the same alcohol beverage content you can find at the ABC liquor stores," Creech said. "That cannot be safe."

Although there are some liquors in the 30 proof range sold in ABC stores, most are 70 proof or above, according to a commission product listing.

http://www.wral.com/new-3-ounce-alcohol-drink-sparks-concerns/12237853/?d_full_comments=1&d_comments_page=2

I hear they also rejected selling it in the legendary 'Big Gulp' size. The downside of that 2005 law? The one removing the totally outdated beer laws, resulting in a 500% increase in the number of breweries in the state? Yeah, ok.

The other funny thing is that the good reverend has no idea what he is talking about as far as alcohol content. Malt beverages are sold in convenience stores right now at up to 15% (30 proof), without even bringing up the many variations of fortified wine (which can be up to 24%).

Some more totally silly points from the GOP-appointed opposition:

Stout 21 would most likely appeal to underage drinkers, he said, because they could conceal the small container in a pocket or backpack.

You mean like airplane bottles that they sell right now?

Also, the unusual packaging would make it harder for parents and law enforcement officers to recognize it as an alcoholic beverage, he said.

So unusual packaging, to stand out in the market, should be illegal?

No specific guidelines to what size it should be, no research to show it is more likely to be consumed by underage drinkers, and no consideration for a company employing 32 people in a county with 10.6 unemployment.

http://www.wral.com/plan-for-3-ounce-alcohol-drink-falls-flat/12247819/

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:55:12 PM by NC YIPPIE » Logged
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 09:38:43 AM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 11:12:40 AM

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »

OMFG, head slap.  What is wrong with these people?

"All I've had today is, like, six gummy bears and some scotch"
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »

Not only did they reject it, but they don't actually have any formal guidelines on what size would be legal.

If the GOP truly supports limited government, they should also immediately remove the cap on selling before noon on Sundays, the requirement (?) to put liquor bottles in a bag and scrap the entire 'you must sell x amount of food' formula to allow anyplace to sell liquor and beer without being a private club.

Likewise, they should eliminate the silly law that bans selling beer and hookahs - in a hookah bar! - that also require private club status. The one that put 'Hookah Bliss' in Chapel Hill out of business.

There is an exemption for cigar bars, of course, go figure.
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 03:00:20 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 10:27:19 PM

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »

OMFG, head slap.  What is wrong with these people?

I know - right?

They lose another 30 points of IQ and they are in danger of falling into dhimmicrat territory.

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »

Can you remind me of a time when the Dem-controlled state government seized control of a city's airport by force?

I don't know if that has happened before, but it sure seems like something new.

Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »

Oh joy.  Now there's going to be a bunch of back and forth where people bring up things that both Dems and Repubs have done that were unprecedented, all in an attempt to show how one is worse than the other.  

Personally, I think they both suck, but the Democrats are slightly worse than the Republicans.  That is only because they largely favor bigger government.  Republicans also seem to favor big government, but there are some Republicans that don't, and so that particular faction slows the rest of the party down, which is a good thing.

Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 07:23:57 AM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 09:29:04 PM

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »

The whole system is screwed, the Dems and Pubs are both idiots.

So Yip, how can we fix theses political problems because it is obvious both parties ARE the problem.

Oh joy.  Now there's going to be a bunch of back and forth where people bring up things that both Dems and Repubs have done that were unprecedented, all in an attempt to show how one is worse than the other.  

Personally, I think they both suck, but the Democrats are slightly worse than the Republicans.  That is only because they largely favor bigger government.  Republicans also seem to favor big government, but there are some Republicans that don't, and so that particular faction slows the rest of the party down, which is a good thing.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"  - Adolf Hitler
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »

Well, I think the GOP simply favors their own 'brand' of big government and control. They are willing to spend billions on wars and 'investing' in business projects, but do not want to make social investments in such things as mental health services and other things that may sometimes make sense. The Dems are totally stupid to not make across the board spending cuts that are targeted and well thought out and never seem to do a good job of going after social programs that don't work. The GOP seems to go after all social programs, with no regard to whether they work. 

However, I also do get a bit tired of older generations - many of whom have collected far more in medical services through Medicare than they ever even came close to paying in taxes - talking about how the new generations seek to rely on government. Certainly there is some truth to that and there are many programs that do not have good oversight and should be eliminated or audited better. Yet the fact remains that previous generations have also used government help to pay their medical bills, while at the same time criticizing others for pretty much the same thing.

Both parties often act in the interest of their party and not the country.

The point I was making here is that the actions of Bloomberg on soda size in NYC were all over the headlines and covered by virtually every media source out there. However, in this case we have a very similar 'nanny' type of push by the NC GA and we have heard barely a single peep about it. Now granted the Bloomberg story was big in part just because it was NYC, but still, the difference in 'outrage' even accounting for that is gigantic.
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »

I don't agree with you that the outrage difference is something to get bent out of shape about.  I think it comes down to the fact that state governments have a history of passing really dumb laws when it comes to alcohol.  Who cares when someone buys a drink on Sunday?  Who cares how many ounces are in a particular drink?  Limiting people to airplane bottles is stupid too.  But it isn't unprecedented.

The reason the NYC soda bans get so much press is because it is something that people haven't seen much before, if ever.  I'd never heard of a law like that before NYC did it.  It doesn't mean that both governments aren't screwed up and wrong.  They certainly are.  I don't care how much it bothers Rev. Whatshisname.    It is none of his damn business what I drink or how much I drink, or what size the container is.  If I wanted to buy a barrel of Stout XYZ, I should be able to do so.  What is to stop me from pouring a bit in a small, discrete flask?  

I really really dislike this nanny state nonsense.  All I can say is that I really hope this gets more attention than it is getting now.  The answer as to "how are we going to change this" is to hold elected official's feet to the fire.  We have to tell them we don't approve of this sort of thing.  No matter if Dems or Repubs win, we're going to have elected officials who have strange ideas about personal liberty.  If we don't make noise, then they will just assume we don't care.

NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »

I would think folks might be more concerned with laws that will actually affect them in their own state, as opposed to the 'idea' that someday you 'might' be in NYC and need a really big drink instead of two. Now, I don't like the soda law stuff either, but if NYC folks don't like it they should simply vote his butt out, problem solved.
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 01:05:54 AM »

I would think folks might be more concerned with laws that will actually affect them in their own state, as opposed to the 'idea' that someday you 'might' be in NYC and need a really big drink instead of two. Now, I don't like the soda law stuff either, but if NYC folks don't like it they should simply vote his butt out, problem solved.

We gotta make some noise when it comes to local dealings Mr. Yippie.  Every little bit helps.

NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 03:38:44 PM »

Don't states also have a long history of imposing various standards on consumer products sold to their residents? I agree this is a bit 'extra kooky' with a ban on large drink sizes for non-alcoholic drinks.

Again, I'm not a big fan of these kind of laws, but I do believe there is legal precedent in a general sense as far as regulating consumer products in a state.

Update on NYC case:

New York state Supreme Court Judge Milton Tingling declared invalid Mr. Bloomberg's plan to prohibit restaurants, mobile food carts, delis and concessions at movie theaters, stadiums or arenas from selling sugary drinks in cups or containers larger than 16 ounces. The ban was set to begin Tuesday.

Judge Tingling determined that Mr. Bloomberg exceeded his authority by sidestepping the City Council and placing the issue before the city's Board of Health, a panel whose members were each appointed by the mayor.

Also, missed this part the first time around: "The regulations didn't affect the Big Gulp at 7-11 because supermarkets and convenience stores are regulated by the state, not the city."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323826704578354543929974394.html 

chrstnhsbndfthr
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 12:41:36 PM
Date Registerd:February 21, 2006, 12:25:33 AM

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 09:43:55 AM »

Precedent doesn't mean we SHOULD do something, it simply means things have been done before.

For my thinking repeal it all. No ABC laws at all, perhaps with an exception to prevent buying alcohol for OTHER people's kids.  Our alcohol regulations have caused misery and alcoholism and government should get out of it altogether. Let parents regulate their own children as they see fit, but otherwise, leave us alone.

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest <> of freedom, go <>in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. <>may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.-- Samuel Adams 1776
beinginferior
Chathamite

Last Login:March 05, 2014, 02:53:34 PM
Date Registerd:October 17, 2012, 05:48:52 PM

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »

Man, I just read this today Yip. ANYTIME I see Rev. Creech I know idiocy will ensue. He is a special kind of crazy.

Ugh. Now you owe me a Easter beer my friend, because Saturday is shot. I will call Rev. Creech and find out what kind is acceptable, lol!

toast
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »

So CHF, you would eliminate drinking laws such as being 21 to purchase? Is that what 'No ABC laws at all' means?
Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: