Chatham County Online BBS
August 31, 2014, 06:31:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Find a local business! Visit the Chatham Business Directory

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Media Coverage of the Gun Control Debate  (Read 1042 times)
Pi
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 05:39:00 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2011, 11:12:40 AM

« on: February 05, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

http://www.mrc.org/media-reality-check/abc-cbs-nbc-slant-8-1-obamas-gun-control-crusade

MRC analysts reviewed all 216 gun policy stories on the Big Three networks’ evening (ABC’s World News, CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News) and morning show programs (ABC’s Good Morning America, CBS This Morning, NBC’s Today), beginning with the evening of the shooting through January 17, the morning after Obama made his speech surrounded by children who had sent him letters pushing for more gun control.

The results show staggering imbalance:

■ Stories advocating more gun control outnumbered stories opposing gun control by 99 to 12, or a ratio of 8 to 1.

■ Anti-gun soundbites were aired almost twice as frequently than pro-gun ones (228 to 134).

■ Gun control advocates appeared as guests on 26 occasions, compared to 7 times for gun rights advocates.

More at the link above.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 07:51:35 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 01:53:20 PM

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »

My best arument for gun right is that everytime a cop saves a citizen or kills a perp it was because they had a gun.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
Freedom Handyman
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 08:29:46 AM
Date Registerd:December 23, 2007, 09:51:43 AM

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:26:35 PM »

The media is so skewed. Ratings are all they care about. Fact is, guns, ammo, mag capacites are not the problem. Criminals are. I am sure many of us have enough firepower to start a small war, and have never had to use it (in country).

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army"
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 11:01:33 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 10:27:19 PM

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:29 PM »

I'm not going to create a new thread for this but I just wanted to share the "feeeeeeelings" of some of my neighbors...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YkGgmjmS24Y&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YkGgmjmS24Y&amp;rel=0</a>

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
chrstnhsbndfthr
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 01:22:09 AM
Date Registerd:February 21, 2006, 12:25:33 AM

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:32:44 AM »

Axiomatic, I rarely disagree with you, but this time, I MUST. This deserved a new thread.

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest <> of freedom, go <>in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. <>may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.-- Samuel Adams 1776
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 11:01:33 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 10:27:19 PM

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »

Axiomatic, I rarely disagree with you, but this time, I MUST. This deserved a new thread.

Whatever gets eyes on it - I'm good with  Wink

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 07:51:35 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 01:53:20 PM

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:34:56 PM »

Make it stop!!!!!!!

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 01:32:38 AM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 05:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 02:26:34 AM »

And your little dog, too

"As Washington politicians aim to restrict the Second Amendment, they should look in the mirror.

The time to control government’s guns is now.

Overarmed federal officials increasingly employ military tactics as a first resort in routine law enforcement. From food-safety cases to mundane financial matters, battle-ready public employees are turning America into the United States of SWAT."

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Conehead
Chathamite

Last Login:August 11, 2014, 08:33:44 AM
Date Registerd:March 11, 2012, 11:39:04 AM

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »

And who on here said they didn't want to take away anything (implying our guns)?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/02/missouri-democrats-intruduce-legislation-to-confiscate-firearms-gives-gunowners-90-days-to-turn-in-guns/

House Bill 545

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills131/biltxt/intro/HB0545I.HTM
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »

And who on here said they didn't want to take away anything (implying our guns)?

I'm sure it is just an exaggeration.  Nobody really wants confiscation.  We're all nuts for thinking something like that.

My comment on the topic at hand (yet another of the same actually) would be that there is no harm in being vigilant about your rights, but that fears of confiscation have been a bit exaggerated by some.

I don't agree with your last claim - I think that the confiscation push has been so exaggerated that it has created a huge amount of sales, which in turn creates more marketing money to stoke the fears even more. It also works very well for politicians to campaign on and raise funds, as well as conspiracy hucksters and such. I can certainly recognize and appreciate why folks would be concerned about the issue and I can also recognize when an issue is being at least partially exploited as a marketing tool.

Seems like a tiny bit of an exaggeration to me. We both know there is plenty more where that came from. I'm still willing to consider that people have downplayed the threat of confiscation more, I just don't see it that way.

The people that support some of these laws might have shot a gun once or twice.  That's all the experience they need isn't it?  It doesn't matter if we really understand the issues, or have spent a large portion of our lives learning about the laws.  They are just trying to set us straight.  After all, we're all paranoid and exaggerating the threat to our Second Amendment rights.  Never mind that their defense keeps changing:

1.  One day they admit that yes, there are people who want confiscation, but they represent a small minority, and most of those seeking gun control want additional regulation.  And besides, those people aren't in positions of real authority, so you've got nothing to worry about.

2. Later on, they admit that yes, there are elected officials that want confiscation.  But they are such a small minority, we'll never actually see legislation proposed that wants to ban guns.  The majority that just wants "common sense" regulation will see to that.

3. And today they are admitting that yes, there are bills out there that would put confiscation in place, but it'll never pass.

There are people that want to confiscate our guns.  Eventually the stars may align enough such that they will get those laws passed.  They are patient.  Keep in mind that they only need to win once.  In order to keep them from doing this, we have to win every single time.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:29:46 PM by Pi » Logged

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt. - John Adams
Pi
Chathamohican

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »

Here's a bit more truth for those who have said people are "exaggerating" about gun control measures.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020373291_westneat17xml.html#.USB_y90J9Bo.facebook

One of the major gun-control efforts in Olympia this session calls for the sheriff to inspect the homes of assault-weapon owners. The bill’s backers say that was a mistake.

Forget police drones flying over your house. How about police coming inside, once a year, to have a look around?

As Orwellian as that sounds, it isn’t hypothetical. The notion of police home inspections was introduced in a bill last week in Olympia.

That it’s part of one of the major gun-control efforts pains me. It seemed in recent weeks lawmakers might be headed toward some common-sense regulation of gun sales. But then last week they went too far. By mistake, they claim. But still too far.

“They always say, we’ll never go house to house to take your guns away. But then you see this, and you have to wonder.”

That’s no gun-rights absolutist talking, but Lance Palmer, a Seattle trial lawyer and self-described liberal who brought the troubling Senate Bill 5737 to my attention. It’s the long-awaited assault-weapons ban, introduced last week by three Seattle Democrats.

Yeah, sure.  It was a "mistake".  One wonders how it got there in the first place.  Because some anti-gun liberal wrote the bill, that's why.  

Conehead
Chathamite

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:37:42 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/us/gun-control-laws-clear-initial-hurdle-in-colorado.html?_r=1&

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22593693/colorado-ammo-magazine-maker-threatens-leave-state-over

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22601993/magpuls-departure-could-crack-plastics-industry-manufacturer-says

http://www.facebook.com/magpul/posts/561802137165473

Consequences will happen as companies seem to finally be telling the politicians that their "knee-jerk" reactions will impact a community economically.
Conehead
Chathamite

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020373291_westneat17xml.html

I spoke to two of the sponsors. One, Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, a lawyer who typically is hyper-attuned to civil-liberties issues, said he did not know the bill authorized police searches because he had not read it closely before signing on.

“I made a mistake,” Kline said. “I frankly should have vetted this more closely.”

That lawmakers sponsor bills they haven’t read is common. Still, it’s disappointing on one of this political magnitude. Not counting a long table, it’s only an eight-page bill.

The prime sponsor, Sen. Ed Murray, D-Seattle, also condemned the search provision in his own bill, after I asked him about it. He said Palmer is right that it’s probably unconstitutional.

“I have to admit that shouldn’t be in there,” Murray said.

IDIOTS!
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 09:45:51 PM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 09:29:04 PM

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »

Mexico wants the US to turn over a list of gun owners in the border states.

http://www.kpho.com/video?clipId=8403748&autostart=true

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"  - Adolf Hitler
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 01:32:38 AM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 05:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »

Mexico wants the US to turn over a list of gun owners in the border states.

http://www.kpho.com/video?clipId=8403748&autostart=true

O rly.  I'd ask Mexico how it feels to want.  The rest of what I think about this is not fit for posting here ....

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: