Chatham County Online BBS
April 24, 2014, 12:07:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read what Chatham County bloggers are saying at the Blog Aggregator

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Goats  (Read 825 times)
Hardy Boy

Last Login:February 10, 2013, 09:19:07 AM
Date Registerd:September 03, 2007, 07:31:56 AM

« on: January 16, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »

This is a bit a long story, but here goes.  I work with a gentleman that is approaching retirement age.  His wife passed away a few years ago, and their children live in other parts of the country.  He and I were talking  one day and he expressed some concern about a small herd of goats he has at his house.  He knew I lived in SW Chatham in and around lots of farms.  I don't think he is interested in giving them away right at this minute, but what is the best way for him to do this?  He said he doesn't want to just give them to anyone-all of them have names and he doesn't want to see them eaten, just doesn't know what he'll do if he becomes unable to care for them. 

Any info I can give him would be helpful!
Hardy Boy

Last Login:February 10, 2013, 09:19:07 AM
Date Registerd:September 03, 2007, 07:31:56 AM

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »

Bump-I'd love to have some ideas for him when I get to work tomorrow if I can.  Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Phineas T. Fogg
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 04:08:22 PM
Date Registerd:August 21, 2008, 11:14:41 AM

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »

Maybe have him ask around at the feed stores?

With all of the new people moving in who just want a few head of stock around to look at, I'd think it would be possible to find someone who would take them in as the pets they are.
chatterbox
Chathamite

Last Login:April 04, 2014, 11:19:27 AM
Date Registerd:September 25, 2007, 01:26:31 PM

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:55:33 AM »

You might look up the Ag Review you can advertise on there and if I remember right I saw people advertising looking for farm animals for their no kill farm a while back.
Here is the link. Check the wanted farm animals section.
Also placing an ad at the local feed stores when the time comes may not be a bad idea. Or maybe the local high schools for their ag program too.

http://www.ncagr.gov/paffairs/AgReview/class.htm

Thanks for helping him out, good luck.
chrstnhsbndfthr
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 11:14:37 PM
Date Registerd:February 21, 2006, 12:25:33 AM

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »

I heard of a farmer who is doing something unique. He is pasturing goats on cattle land owned by others. He moves the goats to different pastures as needed, since the goats do not eat grass, unless forced to, and eat the things that displace grass, such as weeds and shrubs, it is a win-win. I am not sure if the cattle farmers are paying him or not, as I only heard it second hand, but it sounds interesting and useful. The goats essentially earn their keep by improving the cattle pasture.

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest <> of freedom, go <>in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. <>may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.-- Samuel Adams 1776
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: