Chatham County Online BBS
December 18, 2014, 02:14:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Find a local business! Visit the Chatham Business Directory

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tree Cutting Service  (Read 3358 times)
Country Boy
Chathamite

Last Login:April 23, 2013, 07:33:43 PM
Date Registerd:March 26, 2011, 10:01:52 AM

« on: January 03, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »

Hey everyone, my name is Clayton Kennedy. I work at a professional tree service and an trying to earn extra money on the weekends. I am experienced with a saw I'm 18 but I'm not bonded. I will not drop tlarge trees near structures. I will in the yard or where ever and if I tree falls and blocks you in oi can remove it. I also do odd jobs. For chainsaw purposes I will not be available until next weekend due to my saw being in the shop.other purposes I am this weekend

Contact at 919 444 1678 or jcservices27312@yahoo.com

You might not like what i have to say, but im here to tell you i will say it. My opinion is mine and people dont like it tough

Country Born Country Bred Ill Be Country Till Im Long Dead
Lifer

Last Login:February 23, 2013, 05:54:30 PM
Date Registerd:February 01, 2011, 02:28:42 PM

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »

Do you have General Liability insurance?
Jeff G
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »

Country Boy:

Just a word of friendly advise from someone who's been there and done that; if you don't have commercial GL insurance and plan on getting it (or even if you already have it) be sure to confirm that it covers EXACTLY the type of work you encounter. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a policy from a company that frequently writes these same types of GL insurance policies, and is extraordinarily reputable. You will have to do your homework on this one. A few years ago, I had commercial GL insurance through Farm Bureau. When I first got it, I went in and sat down with the agent and told her precisely what my work encompassed; I mean literally everything that I do in order to make sure I got the proper coverage, and protection, in the event something, God forbid, were to happen. A few years later, and for the first time in my life, I had an issue whereas I had to file a claim. When I did, I was told by Farm Bureau Claims Department that the policy I had did not cover the type of work I did, ergo, it was ALL on me to bite the bullet and make good on a several thousand dollar claim. Unfortunately, after this happened, I subsequently found out if I would have done some asking around, I would have found out practically the same thing happened to someone else I know, with Farm Bureau. Ergo, it pays to do your homework and not simply place your trust in someone, or some so-called reputable company, to do the right thing.

Sorry if any of this doesn't apply to you.

And best of luck to you!
Country Boy
Chathamite

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:51:03 AM »

I do have my own health insurance. There is a reason I do not drop near buildings or anything even when I know how to drop. I just need to earn extra money and save yall some money compared to the companies that will charge hundreds for one tree

You might not like what i have to say, but im here to tell you i will say it. My opinion is mine and people dont like it tough

Lifer

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:04 AM »

'Health Insurance' is NOT 'General Liability' insurance. Is that your answer to my question?

If you don't understand the difference, of if you don't know what 'General Liability' insurance is, then you shouldn't be allowed to operate a business cutting trees on other people's property.

You might want to get a clue before you do some real damage to someone's house or vehicles of god forbid, another person.
Jeff G
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »

I do have my own health insurance. There is a reason I do not drop near buildings or anything even when I know how to drop. I just need to earn extra money and save yall some money compared to the companies that will charge hundreds for one tree

Country Boy:

I do agree that you (or anyone else) should be able to perform "side work" for extra money; however, when it comes to work of the scope you describe, it can be a liability issue when working for the general public. What would you do if something did happen? I'm sure you can concede there is indeed a possibility something can go wrong, and often times when it is least expected.

Further, in your situation (not being a legal business) even though you do have health insurance, if something happened and you got hurt, it would boil down to the "brass tacks," or the brass "legal" tacks, and the liability often falls on the homeowner regardless, and if they are not sufficiently covered on their homeowner's insurance policy, well, they are still liable for your medical bills. But, you should check on these things for yourself and confirm what exactly are the requirements for performing such work that you are proposing. Also, you should get a free quote on GL insurance, as you will probably find it isn't as expensive as you might think. Whatever the costs of doing business will have to be accounted for in your pricing, which is what any business owner, or self-employed individual (same thing) deals with everyday. It is what it is. I use a simple way of calculating overhead, mark up, and profit in coming to an accurate estimate, regardless of your business, which works extremely well.

If I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to ask, and I'll do my best.

Once again, best of luck!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:25:34 PM by Jeff G » Logged
Country Boy
Chathamite

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 02:55:07 PM »

@lifer. Buddy I clearly stated I am not cutting near buildings or anything. If you got a problem with a teenager trying to work to pay the bills fine dont call me.

And yes I do not have gl I'm just trying to get up money after the holidays and rain days we ve had recently I an not starting a full business or anything

Jeff G
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »

I was only hopeful in sharing some friendly advise due to the fact that I've been in your shoes, which is trying to work to make extra money as what amounts to an independent contractor. You do realize that when you take money for performing "tree service," you are an independent contractor? Further, accidents happen to folks doing such work; it's why they are called "accidents." No one does so on purpose.

The point I was trying to make was: regardless of whether you, Country Boy, are in business, or aim to be in business at some point in the future, it does not matter. If a homeowner or business owner hires you to perform tree service, they are liable if something happens to you, or because of you due to the work you are performing. It is strictly a liability issue that anyone hires you needs to be aware of. Any property damage notwithstanding, if you hurt yourself, they are legally liable, not you. Do you think that risk is acceptable? If so, how would you like it is someone did something similar to you, or yours? It is simply a matter of using common sense when conducting your affairs in not putting anyone else at such a tremendous risk, particularly if they are not aware. Yeah, sure, everyone wants to save money, but whatever in the world would happen in the event of an accident? You do understand that, don't you? It doesn't have anything to do with your skills or abilities to do said work, which I have no reason to doubt you are good at what you do.

In such an event of anyone hiring unlicensed contractors, it is certainly one instance of getting what you pay for.  Caveat emptor, which means, "let the buyer beware."

Fact is, over the years I've witnessed first-hand that not many folks who are so focused on "getting a good deal," that they loose sight of all else, and are in most cases, simply not aware of what risks they are entering into. I've seen too many businesses ruined, and worst yet, too many lives ruined due to this very thing. Please, if you do this kind of work, CB, please, please look into getting GL insurance. As I said before, it probably doesn't cost what you may be thinking.

Lastly, I'm not telling you this because I want to dictate how you run your affairs. I just want you, or anyone hiring you, to be aware of the realities. Sure, you may do this kind of work till Kingdom come with nary one incident; but God forbid something does happen. A wise person covers all their bases, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:25:58 PM by Jeff G » Logged
Lifer

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »

Country Girl, I'm not your 'buddy'.

And given your hair trigger response to me, you can be sure that not only will I not hire you, but I won't  recommend you to anyone either.

Is that how you would respond if one of your customers wasn't satisfied with your jackleg work?

Grow up, boy.
Jeff G
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:33:53 PM »

Country Girl, I'm not your 'buddy'.

And given your hair trigger response to me, you can be sure that not only will I not hire you, but I won't  recommend you to anyone either.

Is that how you would respond if one of your customers wasn't satisfied with your jackleg work?

Grow up, boy.

I take it you don't care much for Country Boy. Perhaps you know him personally? If none of the above apply, is it barely possible you're capable of stepping up your maturity level when posting? Then again, you may be in your teens, or barely out of them, which would then be more understandable. I have no way of knowing obviously. All I have to go by is your actions on the boards here.

I'm merely trying to help a young man, who's willing to work in an honorable way, to better his situation in life. Your criticism "seems" not quite constructive or helpful, especially when resorting to name-calling.
Freedom Handyman
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 06:00:19 PM
Date Registerd:December 23, 2007, 08:51:43 AM

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »

CB, I know you, you know me. You are not getting anywhere arguing on here. Jeff has good advice. You have good intentions. Don't get into anymore pi**ing contests. Offer what you have and deal with it. Let your customers know you are not insured and let them make the choice. Offer more services like leaf blowing, picking up branches, hauling trash, etc.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army"
Country Boy
Chathamite

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 02:30:51 AM »

I posted this to make some extra money, sorry for trying to work instead of living of the government. I may not get any business from this but ill move on. Lifer I simply stated I will not drop any trees near a structure due to the fact I am not covered as I'm 18 & work 60 hours a week and I can't afford to start a legit business. I find it funny you would stoopas low as name calling when I did nothing but refuse service. Jeff g, I appreciate it for the advice. And jimmy I know and I am not gonna with lifer. Just trying to make it by. And update to people interested in tree services, due to the quote from the repair shop being to much I am not able to offer that. But I am available for odd jobs.

Thanks all and have a blessed day

Jeff G
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »

Country Boy,

Although I venture to guess that you intended your remark sarcastically, I firmly believe you very well know there is no need to be sorry for working hard to achieve goals in life, as opposed to "living off the government." As I said already, it is honorable to do so, especially nowadays, and I applaud you and respect you for having such an outlook, and carrying out.

Anyway, why don't you print up a bunch of professional looking flyers (on the computer) and put them up around town anywhere there is a community bulletin board (e.g., Piggly Wiggley; Southern States; and the list goes on and on). Better yet, take some flyers and canvass neighborhoods late in the afternoon when folks are coming home from work, walking door to door and talking with folks out in their yards, etc, and hanging these flyers in or on doors (but don't put any flyers in mailboxes, as that could get you into some hot water, possibly). I absolutely guarantee if you pass out flyers in neighborhoods where folks could use your service, you will get some work. I absolutely guarantee it!

And never let anyone tell you otherwise, but you can do practically anything you set your mind to do regardless if you are young, old, middle-aged, etc. Just because you are 18 doesn't mean you can't be successful. Quite the contrary, as you've got your entire life ahead of you to see to it! 
Freedom Handyman
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 06:00:19 PM
Date Registerd:December 23, 2007, 08:51:43 AM

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »

Jeff G, I don't know you, but have seen many of your posts including this one. You seem well educated and full of common sense. It's a plus to have someone on the board looking to help people (read you before, not just CB) with real solutions and good advice. Don't remember seeing your political status or stance on guns, don't really care. You are a positive thinker and contributor to this BBS. Stick around. I may need your advice one day too. Thanks. Jimmy aka FH

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army"
Jeff G
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »

Thank you, FH! I appreciate the kind words; however, I'm just a very average guy with average intelligence. I learn more hanging around here than I could ever possibly contribute in return. Nonetheless, if i can be of any assistance to anyone, I am more than pleased to do so.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: