Chatham County Online BBS
April 16, 2014, 11:59:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: View news videos 24/7 on the Chatham Journal News Network

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Newspaper to list MORE gun permit holders after uproar  (Read 1284 times)
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 05:40:31 AM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 05:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« on: December 29, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »

A suburban New York newspaper that sparked an uproar among gun enthusiasts by publishing names and addresses of residents holding pistol permits is now planning to publish even more identities of permit-toting locals.

The next batch of names will be permit holders in suburban Putnam County, New York, where the county clerk told the newspaper it is still compiling information.

So.  They're upping the ante, are they?

Good said the information about permit holders was public and, if presented in context, served a legitimate interest.

O rly.  The context being "'The gun owner next door: What you don't know about the weapons in your neighborhood,' right after the Newtown murders?  The "legitimate interest" being similar to the "Pedophiles living in your neighborhood" websites?  Oh wait, did this newspaper ever publish THAT information?

These people need to have their lives turned inside out and spread all over the web.  In the interest of context and legitimate interest in the sort of people who publish this kind of information.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:24:39 PM by 1911A » Logged

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
John Florida
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 10:23:21 PM
Date Registerd:May 30, 2010, 01:53:20 PM

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »

Whyb stop them? All they do is expose those that can't protect themselves.

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL"
 FILIPPO MAZZEI
Jeff G
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »

Several days ago when I found and posted this website (in the "Middle Ground" thread) the information read:

"Putnam [county] is still putting together its records and could not immediately provide any data. The map will be updated when that data is released."

It is something these nice, helpful folks have been planning to do all along. Sure is heartwarming, isn't it?

http://www.lohud.com/interactive/article/20121223/NEWS01/121221011/Map-Where-gun-permits-your-neighborhood-
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 05:40:31 AM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 05:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:08:58 AM »

Glenn Reynolds added:

“It would be interesting to run a background check on them, too, and look for DUI’s, unpaid support, etc. All in the public interest, of course . . . Especially since the Journal News is doubling down.”

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
John Florida
Chathamohican

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »

The way to fight back is to put out the personal info of the people that work at the parper.

FILIPPO MAZZEI
Jack Stevens
Chathamite

Last Login:Yesterday at 06:15:28 PM
Date Registerd:August 03, 2009, 11:20:06 AM

Professional Net Lurker

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »

The way to fight back is to put out the personal info of the people that work at the parper.

In the public interest; which newspaper employees and vendors smoke tobacco?  Drink alcohol?  Eat more than necessary to maintain life?  Have a driver's license?  Own or lease a vehicle?  All legal activities, to be sure, and NONE of them listed as constitutional rights, and all which result in much more injury, illness, and death than guns.

Where is the list?
DC
Chathameister

Last Login:Today at 11:47:22 AM
Date Registerd:November 03, 2010, 08:54:08 PM

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »

I will laugh as ever more of the journalists info is published. One has taken photos of the employees in their cars, published their addresses, pictures and spouse pictures and pictures of their homes. Another plans on publishing pictures of their kids and their kid's schools.

I do not agree with going that far BUT when you start a war you do not get to dictate how it ends.
John Florida
Chathamohican

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »

I will laugh as ever more of the journalists info is published. One has taken photos of the employees in their cars, published their addresses, pictures and spouse pictures and pictures of their homes. Another plans on publishing pictures of their kids and their kid's schools.

I do not agree with going that far BUT when you start a war you do not get to dictate how it ends.

Let the gnashing of teeth begin!!

FILIPPO MAZZEI
DC
Chathameister

Last Login:Today at 11:47:22 AM
Date Registerd:November 03, 2010, 08:54:08 PM

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »

How hilarious is this?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/01/journal-news-hires-armed-security-guards-153103.html
Jeff G
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »

Hmmmm, me wonders if there is any validity to this thing called, "armed security"?

Me thinks it must be a "pigment" of my imagination. An "optional" illusion!

All kidding aside, I sure hope this thing doesn't escalate into something even more stupid.
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 11:32:21 PM
Date Registerd:August 04, 2010, 10:27:19 PM

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »

Hilarious would be if the "newspaper" published their own armed security teams info.

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 12:02:39 AM »

New York County denies request for names of gun permit holders
By Noreen O'Donnell | Reuters – 4 hrs ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Authorities in a suburban county north of New York City said on Tuesday they will refuse to release names of local gun permit holders to a newspaper that has been publishing the identities of thousands of license-holding residents.

Putnam County Clerk Dennis Sant said he would defy a request for information about pistol permit holders from the White Plains, New York-based Journal News, which has come under criticism for publishing thousands of such identities already.

"There is the rule of law, and there is right and wrong and the Journal News is clearly wrong," Sant said in a statement. "I could not live with myself if one Putnam pistol permit holder was put in harm's way, for the sole purpose of selling newspapers."

More here: http://news.yahoo.com/york-county-denies-request-names-gun-permit-holders-231656034.html

Not exactly hilarious but just about friggin time.

Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!
John Florida
Chathamohican

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:09 PM »

I wonder if the "armed security"people are on the list?

FILIPPO MAZZEI
John Florida
Chathamohican

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »

You knew it would happen,somebody is disclosing the private info of the people at the papers and they don't like it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Yw3sZ_reY8&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3Yw3sZ_reY8&amp;rel=0</a>

FILIPPO MAZZEI
Axiomatic
Chathamohican

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 12:23:58 AM »

BREAKING NEWS: ATTEMPTED GUN BURGLARY TIED TO JOURNAL NEWS GUN MAPS
Posted by Greg Ball on Sunday, January 13th, 2013

Sen. Ball renews call for immediate removal of maps and unveils legislation

Law enforcement plans rally to hold Journal News Accountable

Brewster, N.Y. – 1/13/2013 – Today Senator Greg Ball (Patterson – R, C, I) announced that a burglary has been reported on Davis Ave. in White Plains, New York that evidently ties into The Journal News gun maps. It is reported that the burglar used The Journal News’ interactive gun map to target a home included on the map. Luckily the gun was locked up and no one was hurt.

“The Journal News has placed the lives of these folks at risk by creating a virtual shopping list for criminals and nut jobs. If the connection is proven, this is further proof that these maps are not only an invasion of privacy but that they present a clear and present danger to law-abiding, private citizens. Former convicts have already testified to the usefulness of the asinine Journal News ‘gun maps’ yet the reckless editors are evidently willing to roll the dice, gambling with the lives of innocent local homeowners,” said Senator Greg Ball.

Tomorrow, Senator Ball will be publicly unveiling three separate pieces of legislation, all with bipartisan support, among them (S2132), to protect the privacy rights of ordinary citizens; including: law enforcement personnel, victims of domestic violence and private citizens. Let it be clear however, that under Ball’s legislation that has garnered bipartisan kudos and support, law enforcement and all related agencies would continue to have full access to permit information. Senate bill (S2132) would protect lawful gun owners, including thousands of retired and active law enforcement and victim of domestic violence survivors, from having their information publicly disclosed.

“The same elitist eggheads who use their editorial page to coddle terrorists and criminals are now treating law abiding citizens like level three sexual predators. These bills are critical to keep folks safe and fundamentally protect their inherent right to privacy. I hope all of these bills will be brought to the floor for an up or down vote, and allowed to fail or pass on their own merits and not as part of a large, overarching gun-control package. This is not about the Second Amendment; these bills are simply about commonsense and personal privacy. Publishing this information on a website, as we have evidently just witnessed in the recent attempted gun burglary, provides criminals with a map of where they can steal firearms from lawful owners for later use in the commission of crimes. This legislation is critical,” said Senator Greg Ball.

More here: http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/breaking-news-attempted-gun-burglary-tied-journal-news-gun-maps

Can you say, "It was just a matter of time?"

(I knew that you could)

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: