Chatham County Online BBS
April 23, 2014, 02:49:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: WRAL-TV - Mom charged after daughter takes loaded gun to Chatham school  (Read 3654 times)
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 10:25:06 PM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 04:52:41 PM

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »

I don't think it is an overreaction to expel someone who brings a loaded pistol to school. This was not a bb gun.

Common sense? Yeah, that is common sense.

If they just suspended the student for a month & then something worse happened down the road, all the usual suspects would probably be standing around whining about the school failing to take action to ensure the students safety after the first incident. Also, without removing the student as an example, the chance of other students doing something similar - or worse - most likely increases.

munn5
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 11:03:12 PM
Date Registerd:August 09, 2006, 02:04:04 PM

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »

I agree that the 365 suspension may be necessary. I'm not as sure that a 10 yo should be criminally charged as Blahblah said happened.

Candidate for Chatham County School Board District 3. Please check out my website Mia4chatham.com .
Bearlover

Last Login:Yesterday at 09:59:35 PM
Date Registerd:May 02, 2010, 06:55:49 PM

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 11:31:08 PM »

Commenting on Country Boy's posts: I believe a criminal charge imposed by law enforcement would only be incurred if you committed a crime.  What was the crime?

Also, to be suspended for 365 days for an alcohol offense, that would have to have been your THIRD offense of that type at school.  That is the policy.  Is that the case in your situation?
Country Boy
Chathamite

Last Login:April 23, 2013, 08:33:43 PM
Date Registerd:March 26, 2011, 11:01:52 AM

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 09:35:01 PM »

@bear lover, my charge was consumption of alchol on school property. I was not breathilized and it was not proved. Yes I had other violations at school. But one was were I took a sip of vodka and a month later someone got caught with it and eventually someone said I had a sip. Blice told me if I told him who I got it from I would not get in trouble so I told himnext thing I know I'm getting suspended for ten days and forced to go to a class cause apparently I had a problem according to him

You might not like what i have to say, but im here to tell you i will say it. My opinion is mine and people dont like it tough

Country Born Country Bred Ill Be Country Till Im Long Dead
Everett McGill
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 04:44:01 PM
Date Registerd:November 11, 2008, 10:20:58 AM

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »

@bear lover, my charge was consumption of alchol on school property. I was not breathilized and it was not proved. Yes I had other violations at school. But one was were I took a sip of vodka and a month later someone got caught with it and eventually someone said I had a sip. Blice told me if I told him who I got it from I would not get in trouble so I told himnext thing I know I'm getting suspended for ten days and forced to go to a class cause apparently I had a problem according to him

I have been staring at this response for about 10 minutes now....and thinking about your response on the other thread about "your generation" and discipline......anyway, before commenting,  can you please answer bearlover's first question?  (What was the criminal charge, and were you convicted?)

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:25:25 AM by Everett McGill » Logged

You humans, most of you, subscribe to this policy of an eye for an eye, a life for a life, which is known throughout the universe for its… stupidity. Even your Buddha and your Christ had quite a different vision; but nobody's paid much attention, not even Buddhists or Christians.--prot (K-Pax)
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »

Um, all I can say is yep, apparently.
Country Boy
Chathamite

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »

First sentence buddy. I was charged and plead guilty cause the agreement was it would drop the charge with a fine. And I know my spill on the other topic kinda contradicts this. But during my first two years o of high school I was heavily involved with drugs and ran with a bad crowd but I cleaned up my act

You might not like what i have to say, but im here to tell you i will say it. My opinion is mine and people dont like it tough

Everett McGill
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 04:44:01 PM
Date Registerd:November 11, 2008, 10:20:58 AM

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »

First sentence buddy. I was charged and plead guilty cause the agreement was it would drop the charge with a fine. And I know my spill on the other topic kinda contradicts this. But during my first two years o of high school I was heavily involved with drugs and ran with a bad crowd but I cleaned up my act

Thanks for sharing some very personal stuff, and I know I am not alone when I say I am glad to hear of the act cleaning and will continue to keep good thoughts and prayers going up for you.

As you continue to travel the road of life, gaining wisdom, please don't miss out on opportunities to appreciate that not everyone will think and act like you.  And, that may in fact be why they were placed in your path. 

You humans, most of you, subscribe to this policy of an eye for an eye, a life for a life, which is known throughout the universe for its… stupidity. Even your Buddha and your Christ had quite a different vision; but nobody's paid much attention, not even Buddhists or Christians.--prot (K-Pax)
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »

Lots of people have some hard times when they are young and make mistakes, myself included. The bigger picture is to stop the focus on blaming others and circumstance for your own careless choices and unwise decisions. When you stop putting yourself in bad situations, as it seems you may have learned, so-called 'random' bad things have a way of not happening quite so much.
Country Boy
Chathamite

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »

If it was my fault I would have taken the blame I don't search out a scapegoat. I was not blaming anyone else that did not cause anything my friend. I own up to my mistakes. And I understand people t think different it makes the world go round

WanderingWizard
Chathamite

Last Login:March 11, 2014, 12:49:09 AM
Date Registerd:July 28, 2007, 09:38:44 AM

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »

@Country Boy, it was my experience with my elementary school aged son that after he had a rocky couple of years of behavior problems, it didn't matter that his behavior changed and he started behaving better. There were extenuating circumstances in our home that a 6-8 year old child had trouble understanding let alone dealing with. When some of those issues changed, the behavior changed. The administrators at the elementary school continued to treat my son as if nothing had changed. He received very harsh punishments for minor infractions that his classmates received barely a hand slap for. He was also 'punished' due to my refusal to make him take adhd medications that several medical evaluations agreed he did not need. The school insisted that he needed them. He did not. I stopped getting the prescriptions filled. end of story, or so I thought. I finally had to move my son out of the CCS and into a Charter School because he was learning nothing and was being treated like a criminal.

Sorry this was off topic. I was responding to Country Boy.

On topic: The child was suspended. The parent should have the criminal charges, not the child.
Country Boy
Chathamite

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »

I was told for years my parents divorce would cause problems that was never the case I just had a hell raising streak bout me as for the add stuff they tried the same thing but as with every kid elementary age I didn't care for school but drugs are always t the answear lol. Every one had those years of experimentation some last longer than others and goes farther

NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »

Some kids with an official ADHD diagnosis are helped greatly by medications, some are not. There is a great deal of clinical & biological evidence that documents it as an actual condition of the brain. However, the school is out of line and also unqualified to insist upon or offer any medical opinions. Suggesting it as a possible option is also different from pushing something, which in all my years I have seen very little. At the same time, if a parent has a hyperactive kid, and they have no interest in exploring any medications, it is up to them to find more opportunities for exercise and possible diet changes or other ways to deal with it. 
Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: