Chatham County Online BBS
December 17, 2014, 09:21:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: View 1000s of full-color action-filled local sports images at Chatham Photos

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do Chatham County Schools allow Halloween Costumes?  (Read 3173 times)
jkjs
Chathameister

Last Login:December 06, 2014, 08:46:31 AM
Date Registerd:March 09, 2009, 07:29:36 PM

« on: October 22, 2012, 07:07:50 AM »

Do the schools still permit students to wear costumes? Does PES still do trick-or-treating through downtown Pittsboro?
Everett McGill
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 08, 2014, 12:45:38 PM
Date Registerd:November 11, 2008, 09:20:58 AM

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »

I think so.....many in the Central Office wear theirs everyday, year 'round.    Wink

You humans, most of you, subscribe to this policy of an eye for an eye, a life for a life, which is known throughout the universe for its… stupidity. Even your Buddha and your Christ had quite a different vision; but nobody's paid much attention, not even Buddhists or Christians.--prot (K-Pax)
kimmimom
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 12, 2014, 09:58:35 AM
Date Registerd:March 10, 2006, 03:58:16 PM

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »

Maybe it is a school by school choice.  I know MPS does not allow them.  My kids have worn them when younger at PHS though.
jkjs
Chathameister

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »

Maybe it is a school by school choice.  I know MPS does not allow them.  My kids have worn them when younger at PHS though.

I only bring this up because the email regarding the Pollard dance this Friday reminded students that costumes are not permitted at the dance nor in school. I'm really surprised by this because I think Dr Bartholomew has been very effective at creating a good, fun environment at Pollard.  It seems odd and out of character that he would ban costumes.
chathambooks
Chathamohican

Last Login:November 10, 2014, 07:02:35 AM
Date Registerd:April 29, 2006, 12:43:05 PM

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »

I just got a note from Perry Harrison and they are NOT wearing costumes.

Which is fine, IMO.

"You can't baby proof the world".

~Muddylaces
jkjs
Chathameister

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »

I just got a note from Perry Harrison and they are NOT wearing costumes.

Which is fine, IMO.

Why is that fine? Can't kids be kids?

So is this a district wide policy?
Innocent Bystander
Chathamite

Last Login:June 17, 2013, 01:50:40 PM
Date Registerd:February 22, 2010, 10:45:54 AM

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:39:47 PM »

I don't think most schools allow costumes anymore. There are safety issues (kids tripping on things, masks slipping over eyes, etc.). There are equity issues (those kids with the most resources wear the best costumes). And there are religious or cultural reasons (many christians object to halloween, other cultures don't celebrate the holiday). I'm sure it's not a case of people being spoilsports. It's just another example of the knife's edge public schools have to walk.
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 05:45:43 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »

I don't think most schools allow costumes anymore. There are safety issues (kids tripping on things, masks slipping over eyes, etc.). There are equity issues (those kids with the most resources wear the best costumes). And there are religious or cultural reasons (many christians object to halloween, other cultures don't celebrate the holiday). I'm sure it's not a case of people being spoilsports. It's just another example of the knife's edge public schools have to walk.

Roll Eyes

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
jkjs
Chathameister

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:17:51 PM »

Kids could trip on untied shoelaces -  should schools mandate velco closures or slip-ons?
Innocent Bystander
Chathamite

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:43:56 PM »

1911A and jksk, please know that all of the rules you don't like at schools are probably---in fact are almost certainly---in place because parents complained or sued about something THEY didn't like. If you don't like the result, please don't blame the schools, the teachers or the administration. Parents advocate for their own children. Sometimes what they advocate for runs counter to another parent's interest. One parent who sues because their child may have gotten a food borne illness from homemade cookies means schools won't let anybody bring in anything homemade. One parent who complains because they don't want their children exposed to "satanic" influences means no more halloween celebrations. Lather, rinse, repeat. These are public institutions that answer to their stakeholders. Sometimes, you may not like the answers they come up with.
Snowball
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »

1911A and jksk, please know that all of the rules you don't like at schools are probably---in fact are almost certainly---in place because parents complained or sued about something THEY didn't like. If you don't like the result, please don't blame the schools, the teachers or the administration. Parents advocate for their own children. Sometimes what they advocate for runs counter to another parent's interest. One parent who sues because their child may have gotten a food borne illness from homemade cookies means schools won't let anybody bring in anything homemade. One parent who complains because they don't want their children exposed to "satanic" influences means no more halloween celebrations. Lather, rinse, repeat. These are public institutions that answer to their stakeholders. Sometimes, you may not like the answers they come up with.

So true.
jkjs
Chathameister

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 07:07:46 AM »

Is that what happened in this case?
Innocent Bystander
Chathamite

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »

I have no idea. I was just stating a generality. I don't have any knowledge whatsoever on what discussions have gone on at different schools over time.
1911A
Chathamohican

Last Login:Today at 05:45:43 PM
Date Registerd:April 22, 2006, 04:24:28 PM

"Stand Your Ground" by Charles McNaughton

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »

I have no idea. I was just stating a generality. I don't have any knowledge whatsoever on what discussions have gone on at different schools over time.

Right.  Is this a generality as well:

"There are equity issues (those kids with the most resources wear the best costumes)."

That some parent dared use this as an excuse and wasn't snorted out of the room?

"You are clearly a bigoted, racist pig." - Matilda

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Vetustior Humo.
Innocent Bystander
Chathamite

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »

Right.  Is this a generality as well:

"There are equity issues (those kids with the most resources wear the best costumes)."

That some parent dared use this as an excuse and wasn't snorted out of the room?
Actually, that one came from a school at which I was PTA president back in the day. It engendered a good deal of compassion, rather than derision.
Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: