Chatham County Online BBS
September 30, 2014, 07:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Best Email List in the Triangle! Join the Chatham Chatlist

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tragic Accident on 421  (Read 8542 times)
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 08:52:02 PM
Date Registerd:April 02, 2007, 09:29:04 PM

« on: January 04, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »

Very sad accident. I know the Morris gentleman has a young child and Forrest Andrews is the son of Darryl Andrews and has one child.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=135296&catid=57

Liberty, NC -- Three people were killed early Monday morning when the car they were in veered off the road and into some trees.

The crash happened in the median of Highway 421 South near Browns Meadow Road around 2 a.m. That stretch of road is between Julian and Liberty in Randolph County.

The North Carolina State Highway Patrol is investigating the wreck. Troopers tell WFMY News 2 that all three people in the BMW died in the crash.

The victims were identified as:

-- Brandon Chavis, 26, from Bear Creek

-- Forrest Andrews, 27, from Siler City

-- Jason Morris, 30, from Siler City

According to troopers, Chavis was driving the BMW between 90-100 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Investigators say it appears only one person in the car was wearing a seatbelt. One other person was thrown from the car.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:06:52 PM by Silk_Hope » Logged

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"  - Adolf Hitler
belle
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »

Very sad accident. I know the Teague gentleman has a young child and Forrest Andrews is the son of Darryl Andrews.

[url=http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=135296&catid=57]http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=135296&catid=57]
[url]http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=135296&catid=57]http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=135296&catid=57]http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=135296&catid=57]
[url]http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=135296&catid=57
[/url]

Liberty, NC -- Three people were killed early Monday morning when the car they were in veered off the road and into some trees.

The crash happened in the median of Highway 421 South near Browns Meadow Road around 2 a.m. That stretch of road is between Julian and Liberty in Randolph County.

The North Carolina State Highway Patrol is investigating the wreck. Troopers tell WFMY News 2 that all three people in the BMW died in the crash.

The victims were identified as:

-- Brandon Chavis, 26, from Bear Creek

-- Forrest Andrews, 27, from Siler City

-- Jason Morris, 30, from Siler City

According to troopers, Chavis was driving the BMW between 90-100 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Investigators say it appears only one person in the car was wearing a seatbelt. One other person was thrown from the car.

I can't open the page, but I am so sorry.
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »

Sorry Belle, should work now.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"  - Adolf Hitler
Snowball
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »

Two of the obituaries can be found on www.pughfuneralhome.com.
bigjimdog

Last Login:November 19, 2013, 06:49:00 PM
Date Registerd:July 13, 2007, 01:55:01 PM

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:19:08 PM »

Three good guys that will be missed forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mountain gal
Chathamohican

Last Login:September 28, 2014, 01:59:21 PM
Date Registerd:August 10, 2009, 02:35:20 PM

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »

This is so sad and tragic.  This makes 5 young people from Siler City in a month who have lost their lives.   It has only been a couple of months that Darrell Andrews' wife died, and now to bury his son........cannot even begin to comprehend the grief that these families are dealing with.  Serves as a reminder to cherish each day with your loved ones and to never miss an opportunity to say "I love you"!
bladernr

Last Login:August 11, 2014, 04:02:55 PM
Date Registerd:June 23, 2008, 02:08:30 PM

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »

It's sad and tragic, and I can only imagine what the families are going through... but accident, no.  This was no accident.  This was just another example of stupidity killing people.

Sorry to be so blunt, but 90+ on 421 at 2am and no seatbelts? 

That says a lot right there... they may have been great, kind hearted guys, I don't know... but from this, I do know at least, that they were doing something stupidly dangerous, and multiplying that by an order of magnitude by not wearing seatbelts.

Say what you want, but as someone who spent years scraping people off of the asphault, pulling them out from under overturned vehicles, and, yes, even removing one unlucky individual from about 15 feet up a tree, I have little sympathy for people who drive like that and don't wear safety gear.
murph
Chathamite

Last Login:June 17, 2014, 11:44:07 AM
Date Registerd:August 27, 2008, 11:21:39 PM

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 03:46:31 PM »

Say what you want, but as someone who spent years scraping people off of the asphault, pulling them out from under overturned vehicles, and, yes, even removing one unlucky individual from about 15 feet up a tree, I have little sympathy for people who drive like that and don't wear safety gear.

Unless this particular BMW was outfitted as a Driver's Ed vehicle and there were multiple steering, acceleration, and brake controls, it's safe to assume there was ONE driver in control of the vehicle (or perhaps not in control of the vehicle).   I didn't read which of the victims was actually wearing their seatbelt.  At 2:00 am, it's reasonable to think that one or more of the passengers was actually sleeping and unaware of the high-rate of speed the driver attained.

Is there any excuse for the two victims who did not have their seatbelt on?  No.   Buckling-up was something directly in their control, whether they were behind the wheel or not.  This assumes the vehicle was properly outfitted, and all seatbelts were in working order, and they were capable of using the seatbelts at the time.  Would it have made a difference striking a tree at 90 mph?   I don't think anyone can answer that in this case, but most drivers and passengers would prefer to stack the deck in their favor whenever possible.

So while generalizing and expressing non-sympathy for "people who drive like that and don't wear safety gear" is clearly your choice.  It also shows a lack of respect for victims of this crash (and similar tragic scenarios) where the victims did not have the same freedom of choice.

-murph
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:50:06 PM by murph » Logged

Straight 8s ROCK-A-BILLY:  http://www.straight8s.com
bigjimdog

Last Login:November 19, 2013, 06:49:00 PM
Date Registerd:July 13, 2007, 01:55:01 PM

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »

Stupid or not, you could have a little respect for friends and family members by refraining from ignorant remarks.
mountain gal
Chathamohican

Last Login:September 28, 2014, 01:59:21 PM
Date Registerd:August 10, 2009, 02:35:20 PM

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »

but accident, no.  This was no accident.  This was just another example of stupidity killing people.

I suggest you look up the definition of accident - "something unplanned, often unpleasant".

I understand your viewpoint, but expressing it in such a manner with little thought for the survivors and those left behind to hurt was uncalled for.  Sometimes things are best left unsaid if it serves no purpose.
mamacash2
Chathameister

Last Login:March 22, 2011, 12:53:41 PM
Date Registerd:April 28, 2009, 06:34:22 PM

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 09:19:04 PM »

Stupid or not, you could have a little respect for friends and family members by refraining from ignorant remarks.

It's sad and tragic, and I can only imagine what the families are going through... but accident, no.  This was no accident.  This was just another example of stupidity killing people.

Sorry to be so blunt, but 90+ on 421 at 2am and no seatbelts? 

That says a lot right there... they may have been great, kind hearted guys, I don't know... but from this, I do know at least, that they were doing something stupidly dangerous, and multiplying that by an order of magnitude by not wearing seatbelts.

You know all  your points are taken as fact. But in light of 3 individuals losing their lives and 3 families devastated...to what degree of self righteousness and I told you so, do you think you should go?

The pain and suffering these families are surviving right now....needs no more help throwing gas on the fire. I hope you continue to live your stellar life and never have a point of bad judgement, or an accident or God forbid a wreck and you be at fault.

So show a little respect for at least the living survivors of this tragedy and a little personal restraint in your opinion of someones loved ones death.

I am a Chathamist
Silk_Hope
Chathamohican

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »

I drive by one of the mens house every day, he had a little girl and a business. It is sad to think the little girl is missing her father now.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: