Chatham County Online BBS
December 18, 2014, 05:22:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Pittsboro Journal portal at Pittsboro Journal

Home   Help Search Calendar Tags Login Register  
Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Commissioner Lucier backed out  (Read 9442 times)
chathambooks
Chathamohican

Last Login:November 10, 2014, 07:02:35 AM
Date Registerd:April 29, 2006, 12:43:05 PM

« on: February 25, 2009, 01:43:57 PM »

It is unfortunate that the County Commissioners and the HRC are listening to special interest groups and will not appear before a group of Chatham County citizens who do not agree with them.

I received the flyer mentioned in the post below and I contacted the NCFire group and told them that it's not a 287G forum and non-Chatham citizens would be turned away. We intend to hold a respectable, informative Forum. YES - we are still having it.

This will speak volumes to Lucier's constituents.

Hi Heather

I will not be participating in the CCV forum tomorrow night for the reasons detailed below. Also, the reasons why the BOC adopted our resolution opposing participation in 287g are indicated in the statement provided below entitled "Summary of the reasons why the Board of Commissioners adopted a resolution opposing county participation in the Federal ICE 287g program"

George

George Lucier
glucier@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

----- Original Message -----
    To: George Lucier
    Sent: 2/25/2009 1:02:55 PM
    Subject: Copy of statement going out from George later today

I had originally agreed to participate in a panel discussion sponsored by the Chatham Conservative Voice (CCV), scheduled for the evening of February 26. I did so with the understanding that this would  be a forum where local people could have a civil discussion about the 287(g) program as well as many other critical issues facing Chatham County, such as: school funding, the capital improvement program, budget priorities, economic development, revaluation issues, and implementation of the land use plan.

However, in the past week, several outside groups not affiliated with CCV have actively promoted this meeting with their own flyers and email lists, using inflammatory language.  For example, NCFIRE has widely promoted the meeting to a long list of state/national organizations, including ALI-PAC, NC Minutemen Patriots and the Asheville Action Club. They have stated in their flyers that the purpose of the meeting is “fighting back against Chatham County” and have declared that “most terrorists are also illegal aliens.” These communications have effectively undermined the efforts of CCV and local residents to have a civil discussion about various issues.

Given that the meeting is being used by outside groups and promoted as something not originally intended. I will not participate in the forum on Thursday evening.  However, as the chair of the Board of Commissioners, I am happy to talk with local residents individually or in other local groups, using a format that is not dominated and emotionally charged by outside influences. Sally Kost, vice chair of the commissioners, and I propose to meet with CCV and/or members of the local Republican Party to discuss their views on issues of importance to Chatham County.

A large number of people did attend the last Board of Commissioners meeting on Feb. 16 to share their views on the 287(g) resolution, with a substantial majority stating their support of the commissioners’ position. Based on the massive discussion on the Chatlist, it was clearly recognized by all sides that public input on this issue was slated for Feb. 16.

The 287(g) issue also has been covered widely by the local news media (TV, radio and newspapers) and I have given at least 15 interviews on the topic, including two that were detailed front-page articles.  Examples are the Feb. 5 issues of The Chatham News & Record and The News & Observer. By now, the reasons for the Board of Commissioners adoption of the 287(g) resolution should be clear.

Below is a statement on behalf of the Board of Commissioners, which summarizes the factors and statistics behind the county commissioners’ adoption of the resolution.

STATEMENT BY

THE CHATHAM COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
    Summary of the Reasons Why the Board of Commissioners Adopted a Resolution
    Opposing County Participation in the Federal ICE 287(g) Program

·         It is costly. According to Sheriff Webster, we would have to build a new detention center to participate in ICE. The Johnston County sheriff is asking for $30 million to build a new jail. The Commissioners would rather build schools than jails. North Chatham Middle School is 40% over capacity. We could not afford the new middle school if we had to build a new jail in these difficult financial times. 

Moreover, when undocumented parents are deported, the children left behind often must be placed in foster care, at a major cost to the county.

Because of difficult financial times, the Commissioners will have to cut some programs—we certainly don't want to start new ones that are costly and ineffective.

·         It is ineffective in crime prevention. Sheriff Webster and Chief Tyson do not recommend that we participate in ICE because it is not effective. Sheriff Webster and Chief Tyson join with many other law enforcement officials across the nation in believing that 287(g) undermines the trust that law enforcement agencies have worked so hard to establish with the immigrant community. The National Major Cities Chiefs Association has opposed 287(g) participation for these and other reasons.

We would rather put our resources into crime prevention programs that work, like gang prevention. We commend Sheriff Webster and Captain Gardner for their outstanding gang prevention programs. Since Wake County implemented ICE, crime has increased and most of the increase is attributable to gang activities. The BOC also urges the Sheriff to continue efforts to reduce drunk driving and our resolution does nothing to deter his efforts. Moreover, there is evidence that the immigrant community is reluctant to report crimes in areas where ICE has been implemented.

·         This resolution does not keep law enforcement from enforcing the law. We fully support Sheriff Webster's enforcement of the law and his efforts to prevent crime. Those committing crimes should be prosecuted and punished. We have an outstanding Sheriff's Office and we are proud of the initiatives that have improved law enforcement in Chatham County.

Our support is embodied in the adopted commissioners’ resolution, which states:  “Be it resolved that the Board of Commissioners supports local law enforcement in the execution of their duties in the constitutions and laws of the United States, North Carolina, and Chatham County. Be it also resolved that, in continuing its belief of controlling its own destiny… while proudly preserving diverse cultural heritages, the Chatham County Board of Commissioners stands in strong opposition to any local governmental agency contracting with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for the purpose of enforcing federal immigration laws.”

·         There is considerable evidence that participation in the 287(g) program increases the risk of racial profiling. Please remember that racial profiling is, in fact, a crime. No person should live in fear because of his or her ethnic background. Based on 2008 statistics from participating North Carolina counties, the vast majority of people detained have been those arrested for non-violent and non-felony offenses, especially minor traffic violations (i.e. offenses other than DUIs and other serious traffic violations). This was confirmed by a North Carolina report released in February 2009 by UNC’s Immigration/Human Rights Policy Clinic and the ACLU of North Carolina Legal Foundation, which found that racial profiling is one of several major problems resulting from participation in the 287(g) program in North Carolina. 

·         This is a voluntary program. Voluntary means that a county can choose to participate or not participate in 287(g). The fact is that 92 out of 100 counties do not participate in 287(g).  So the assertion that Chatham County would be a sanctuary county for undocumented immigrants is unfounded.

·         Why would the Chatham County commissioners work to participate in a program that is costly, ineffective, increases the risk of racial profiling?

·         We think that everyone can agree that the federal government’s immigration policy has been a failure and is dysfunctional.  We believe that it is wrong to pass that failure on to local governments, which are not equipped to handle federal immigration laws.

·         We adopted the resolution in an open, transparent and deliberate manner. We can assure you that of the 100 counties in the state, Chatham County has dealt with this issue in a more open and transparent way than any county in this state. None of the other 92 counties opting out of the 287(g) program have held a public hearing on the issue. Of the eight counties participating in 287(g), we have heard back from six (two have not responded) that they did not hold a public hearing on the issue before opting into the program and, in some cases, the Board of Commissioners and the public were not notified of law enforcement’s participation.

The Human Relations Commission (HRC) worked on the resolution over a 10-month period and their meetings are open to the public. Moreover, the ICE resolution was part of our Jan. 5 agenda. This agenda was placed on the county website ahead of time and the agenda included the proposed resolution as well as background materials. The HRC talked with the Sheriff on multiple occasions during the 10-month period. He was aware that we were considering the resolution at our Jan 5 meeting and he did not indicate opposition to it. When the BOC considers significant ordinances, which are laws or decisions, we hold public hearings--examples would be subdivision ordinances, budget ordinances, etc. The ICE resolution is not an ordinance; it simply is a statement of our opposition to participating in ICE for the reasons indicated above.

·         Chatham County is a diverse county. Our biggest challenge is to take advantage of that
    wonderful diversity. Our biggest failure would be if we did not take advantage of that diversity. In Chatham County, we want to honor the diversity we have, not disrespect it.

For these reasons, the Chatham County commissioners have no intention of revisiting our opposition to the 287(g) program.

"You can't baby proof the world".

~Muddylaces
integrityticket
Chathamohican

Last Login:August 29, 2010, 03:13:54 PM
Date Registerd:March 18, 2006, 12:53:58 PM

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »

Not surprised.

I guess George only cares about a certain portion of the Chatham population.

The bottom line is the iPhone and modern medicine came from democracy and the free market, not a government agency.
randy
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »

The Commissioners and HR dt know the real facts on this issue and know they were getting called out on this resolutoin they passed.  This resolutoin goes much, much deeper of the real reasons it was passed so quietly in the first place.  And it's one of the reasons the HR dt was hired in the first place last year, it's all dirty folks, hope folks wake up and understand what's going on here.
But rock on Heather and lets have the Forum for folks that want to hear honest facts.  The excuse that Commsoiner Lucier makes are so redundant of these outside groups showing up LOL Rolling I didn't see any ALIPAC or FIRE (whoever they are) of them ay the last BOC meeting.  Commmsoiner Lucier I personally tell you that you one are ripe individual along with your HR dt with those manipulative e mails. 
Anyway we were well aware this is going to be a long drawn out battle and we are ready for it.  GAME ON Grin
piper_chuck
Chathamohican

Last Login:August 15, 2009, 09:55:25 PM
Date Registerd:October 02, 2006, 04:56:10 AM

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »

LOL, this is way too funny, and sadly, predictable.  It's strange that he would say: "Sally Kost, vice chair of the commissioners, and I propose to meet with CCV and/or members of the local Republican Party to discuss their views on issues of importance to Chatham County." when the forum was in fact arranged by a local group.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
djkelly
Chathameister

Last Login:September 25, 2014, 08:28:27 PM
Date Registerd:January 31, 2009, 10:16:44 PM

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 04:00:02 PM »

It says a lot that they say they'll talk to people in a private meeting but are not willing to talk in an open public forum.

Always watch what people do, not only what they say.  For deeds will betray a lie.
whatsup
Chathamohican

Last Login:December 10, 2014, 08:20:53 PM
Date Registerd:March 02, 2006, 12:56:39 AM

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »

It says a lot that they say they'll talk to people in a private meeting but are not willing to talk in an open public forum.

Didn't the "Integrity Team" of Lucier, Thompson and Venderback promise us all a more transparent and "open government"?

So much for that campaign promise.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:17:18 PM by whatsup » Logged

If your main goal is to show that your heart is in the right place, then your heart is not in the right place. - philosopher David Schmidtz
randy
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »

Didn't the "Integrity Team" of Lucier, Thompson and Venderback promise us all a more transparent and "open government"?

So much for that campaign promise.

toast
randy
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »

Maybe the Mayor will take his place since he spoke out so elegantly on this matter angel
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

Last Login:Yesterday at 12:55:15 PM
Date Registerd:February 09, 2006, 03:52:41 PM

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »

Although I think it was a mistake to cancel on this event, I can understand his reasons given the climate of the exchanges with guests on this board recently. Since William and Heather have parted ways, I was thinking this meeting might actually do some good. I also thought it was interesting - and strange - to reference the chatlist as an information source for a public meeting.

Has CCV asked anyone else to fill in yet? Have you all asked the Mayor? Any of the other commissioners? 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:29:10 PM by NC YIPPIE » Logged
integrityticket
Chathamohican

Last Login:August 29, 2010, 03:13:54 PM
Date Registerd:March 18, 2006, 12:53:58 PM

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »

“Chatham citizens deserve leaders who put the interests of Chatham residents first, and who are open, honest and straightforward in their deliberations,” said Kost. “Now is the time to elect such leaders before it’s too late.”

from Chatham Coalition endorses Board of Commissioners candidates
http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/news/politics/chatham-coalition-endorsements-60306.shtml

Let's get ready for 2010!

The bottom line is the iPhone and modern medicine came from democracy and the free market, not a government agency.
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »

and non-Chatham citizens would be turned away.

How will folks at the door know who is from Chatham and who is not anyway?
belle
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »

I had originally agreed to participate in a panel discussion sponsored by the Chatham Conservative Voice (CCV), scheduled for the evening of February 26. I did so with the understanding that this would  be a forum where local people could have a civil discussion about the 287(g) program as well as many other critical issues facing Chatham County, such as: school funding, the capital improvement program, budget priorities, economic development, revaluation issues, and implementation of the land use plan.

However, in the past week, several outside groups not affiliated with CCV have actively promoted this meeting with their own flyers and email lists, using inflammatory language.  For example, NCFIRE has widely promoted the meeting to a long list of state/national organizations, including ALI-PAC, NC Minutemen Patriots and the Asheville Action Club. They have stated in their flyers that the purpose of the meeting is “fighting back against Chatham County” and have declared that “most terrorists are also illegal aliens.” These communications have effectively undermined the efforts of CCV and local residents to have a civil discussion about various issues.

NC Fire registered and posted on the BBS already, and he sounds just like Gheen. frankly, I don't blame Lucier for not wanting any part of it.

Heather, how are you guaranteeing only Chatham residents will be admitted?
randy
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »

NC Fire registered and posted on the BBS already, and he sounds just like Gheen. frankly, I don't blame Lucier for not wanting any part of it.

Heather, how are you guaranteeing only Chatham residents will be admitted?
Because arrangement were made to remove anyone who was not acting respectful or appropriate.  I may ask you how do you know everyone was from Chatham County at the last BOC Roll Eyes  Of course not,  we were not going to check everyone's ID.  But the rules of engagement of this open panel were put fourth very clearly, honestly and fairly.  you guys need to give it a rest. Seriously.  A lot of volunteers spent a lot of thier free time preparing for this, all Chatham County residents and we also put out a email to FIRE that this was only for County residents.  None of us even knew what FIRE was until 2 days ago.  This is the most lame excuse for a Commsoiner to cancel a open public forum.    We our a group that actually is concerned about our county and not just blowing smoke on the BBS Angry
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:56:05 PM by randy » Logged
randy
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »

I'm very dissappointed in Commsoiner Lucier cancelling at the last minute, less than 24 hrs prior to the forum.  But we will still have the open forum and have a honest open meeting.  I hope everyone shows up to support us, we really care about our county and willing to go out and do something about it on our free time.  Thanks and hope to see you all thier.  And if you see me, Please come up and say hi, even if you pro or anti resolutoin.                                                       

Peace Randy Dye
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:01:36 PM by randy » Logged
NC YIPPIE
Chathamohican

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 05:11:09 PM »

Hey man, I was just asking my friend. That's just around the corner from me, so I may stop by just to say hello to a few of my fellow BBS friends. I hear Randy is buying dinner for everyone. ( Grin)

For the record though, unless the forum was supposed to start at 1pm today, I believe he gave more than 24 hrs notice, not much more though, I agree.  Cool
Tags: Lucier  ICE  CCV 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: